Sam_1996
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
It's got to that time of year where I have to start looking at universities and thinking which ones i would like to visit.However unlike many on this forum I don't wish to study at Oxford or Cambridge.
Could anyone on the forum reccomend a university for medicine and explain why?
Thanks,Sam
The-Hossboss
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
All universities are good really, it just depends on different factors which will influence your choice such as:

- The teaching styles: universities like Manchester and Liverpool teach PBL whereas Oxbridge have a more traditional style of teaching based around lectures
- Intercalation- at some universities you would have to do an intercalated degree which might not suit you.
- Where you want to be: Some people prefer campus universities and some prefer city universities.

My advice to you is to visit as many unis as you can to get a better idea of where you want to study. It also gives you a good chance to speak to students studying at the uni and I to ask particular questions about the course.

You'll probably find when you come to apply that certain aspects of your application might not be best suited to specific universities, e.g some unis have specific UKCAT cut-offs

Good luck with your research anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
First look at selection criteria, it's not all on their websites so after you've narrowed it down from there you're going to need to do a lot of reading.

Next look at the course at the uni, some will be PBL focused like Glasgow and some will be traditional like Oxbridge but most will use a mix. Think about if you'd want to do an intercalation and possible subjects, for some uni's it will be mandatory, these tend to be more science focused courses however, at others they will be dependent on how well you've done in previous years and will be optional.

Finally look at the location and decide if you'd be ok with living there for the next 5+ years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.3%
No (214)
76.7%

Watched Threads