Drivers angry with me while i learn Watch

ellenmyers
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I just started my driving lessons a week ago, I've had 3 one hour lessons and my instructor says i'm the best girl driver he's had in his car in a while! I was on roundabouts on my first lesson and have been on main roads since. Today someone rang the instructor as his number was above the car laughing down the phone at how terrible my driving was saying i should give up. The phone was on hands free so i heard everything and its really knocked my confidence and now i feel embarrassed going back on the road. I'm not usually a self conscious person but this has made me feel bad because i was pleased with the progress considering a week ago i'd never even driven! Has anyone else had problems with other drivers putting them off?
Fuzzpig
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm gonna take a guess at this not being to do with you or your driving. I think it was more likely that they would have done it to whoever was in the car. It was probably just something that they thought would be a great laugh, they saw a learner driver that they could get the number for and decided to use it. Unfortunately the consequences for you is a knock in your confidence - they don't care about that or your driving. They're just a bunch of nobs. Don't let it get you down or they've won.
bad8oy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
not had problems with other drivers but.....dont be bothered about whether the guy behind you is in a rush or getting angry just take your time. At the end of the day you do what your comfortable with and dont take any notice to what other people say and you'll be fine!
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Screw the person who called. Your driver said you are his best female student, so one of the best in general.

It's probably some chav that wanted to speed right past you
ellenmyers
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
It was a chav like, i could hear him laughing with his friends it just made me feel really **** and about five minutes later i started to panic and stalled for the first time! I know i shouldn't let it get to me and i am going to try and forget about it but its really annoying everyone was once a learner and knows how bad it can be so there is no need to be such a nob really. Thanks for your replies anyway
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ellenmyers)
It was a chav like, i could hear him laughing with his friends it just made me feel really **** and about five minutes later i started to panic and stalled for the first time! I know i shouldn't let it get to me and i am going to try and forget about it but its really annoying everyone was once a learner and knows how bad it can be so there is no need to be such a nob really. Thanks for your replies anyway
Not a problem. I've not passed that long ago, and I've stalled a few times before - mainly on our hill, but still

Like you said, every one was once a learner driver, and you jut have to take your time with learner drivers sometimes.

I mean, even when I got my new car about a week ago(ish) from London in a really built up area, I was scared to do more than 20Mph on the main roads, and I had people beeping at me.

I'd rather them beep at me than crash in to someone because I wasn't all that confident with driving it as soon as I got it (It's a saloon. Im used to hatchbacks)

It's better that you go slow and them beep at you, than you lose control of the vehicle
Emma-Ashley
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ellenmyers)
I just started my driving lessons a week ago, I've had 3 one hour lessons and my instructor says i'm the best girl driver he's had in his car in a while! I was on roundabouts on my first lesson and have been on main roads since. Today someone rang the instructor as his number was above the car laughing down the phone at how terrible my driving was saying i should give up. The phone was on hands free so i heard everything and its really knocked my confidence and now i feel embarrassed going back on the road. I'm not usually a self conscious person but this has made me feel bad because i was pleased with the progress considering a week ago i'd never even driven! Has anyone else had problems with other drivers putting them off?
The guy who rang is a numpty. The instructor who answered the call during one of your lessons is also a numpty.

Forget about the former, he's not worth the time or effort. As for the latter, I hope he has learned from his mistake and won't answer phone calls during lessons again.

You have as much right to be on the roads as anyone else. Don't be put off. Just carry on being the instructor's best girl pupil!
ScarlettFierce
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I second what the person above me said. Your instructor isn't supposed to be answering calls while you're driving, it's almost as bad as answering calls while he's driving. I'm also confused as to why he put it on speakerphone? Anywho, don't let those idiots knock your confidence down. The way you're explaining things it seems like you are doing very well, when I was doing your lessons I was so scared to do roundabouts, so I panicked a lot when I was on them! You seem like a great driver! Good luck and keep your chin held high xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
ROG.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yopu will get drivers throughout your driving life that feel that you are not conforming to what they want so you have two choices

Drive to accomodate all the other drivers on the road

or

Drive safely within your own capabilities and leave the others to sort themselves out

Your choice

Third choice - never drive again
mosmof
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i think ringing the number on the car is a pretty funny prank (but not when you hear it from the learners point of view). if your instructor says you are the best female hes had recently, i would go with his opinion (the professional!) - not some silly joker.
Lewk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sounds like a group of teens having a 'laugh' to me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (94)
24.42%
No (291)
75.58%

Watched Threads