Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am not really sure how to approach this question. can anyone give me some ideas?

Jack wrote to Fifi, offering to sell his motor car for $2000, on receiving jack's offer, FiFi telephones him in order to accept. Jack however said that since a large sum of money was involved, he wanted confirmation of acceptance in writing.
    If FiFi got the acceptance letter to him by the next day, Tuesday 11am, he would go ahead with the sale at $2000
    FiFi wrote at once and posted the letter of acceptance which Jack received 9am on Tuesday. In the mean time however, Jack received a better offer for his car and wrote to Fifi withdrawing his offer. The letter was posted 5pm on monday and received by Fifi 8:30am on Tuesday.

Discuss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diley)
    I am not really sure how to approach this question. can anyone give me some ideas?

Jack wrote to Fifi, offering to sell his motor car for $2000, on receiving jack's offer, FiFi telephones him in order to accept. Jack however said that since a large sum of money was involved, he wanted confirmation of acceptance in writing.
    If FiFi got the acceptance letter to him by the next day, Tuesday 11am, he would go ahead with the sale at $2000
    FiFi wrote at once and posted the letter of acceptance which Jack received 9am on Tuesday. In the mean time however, Jack received a better offer for his car and wrote to Fifi withdrawing his offer. The letter was posted 5pm on monday and received by Fifi 8:30am on Tuesday.

Discuss
    Dont get this part,'tuesday 11am and tuesday 9am'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHANDY)
    Dont get this part,'tuesday 11am and tuesday 9am'.
    Jack requested that the acceptance letter should be sent to him by 11:00am on Tuesday.

Fifi received Jack's withdrawal letter on Tuesday at 8:30am

ReputationRep:
    Just had a contract seminar, so my brain has now kind of melted, but the postal rule should apply. As soon as you put the letter in the post box, that counts as agreement. Not when you recieve the letter. So I should think the contract was agreed as soon as Fifi posted her acceptance, as long as that was before 5pm when Jack posted his.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.