Does losing weight make you a less interesting person? Watch

the_down10
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Bit of a weird topic but I used to be morbidly obese up until a year ago when I started losing weight, dropped 9 st. and now I'm optimum weight and have a flat stomach etc. In a fit of procrastination I started reading through facebook chat conversations (after reading through these and discovering the following I then looked through other things to double check) and noticed that back when I was fat I seemed to come across as a nicer, funnier and generally more interesting person, whereas the more recent discussions I came across as dull and, at times, dangerously close to self-centred. I asked a few mates about this and most gave a 'dunno', there were one or two who said that they had noticed something similar but hadn't mentioned it. Has anyone else noticed this with people they know or is it just coincidence that I lost weight at a similar rate to becoming a bit of a d***.
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you became less interesting, it's certainly not due to losing weight. Congrats on the weight loss though!

Though saying that you probably aren't "less interesting" like you think you are!
ed-
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's not the losing weight itself, it's the things that often go with it. Like people take themselves more seriously when losing weight
Flibble22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
^ This

When you start thinking of yourself as kind of a big deal then it reflects in how you talk to people.
Norton1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not unless you store your personality in your fat cells.
Wild_Precious_Life
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes, all fat people are interesting and all thin people are dull.
SuziieB
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sometimes your weight defines who you are among your friends. I know when I was overweight, I was known in my friendship circle as the 'chubby one', I was always teased (in a nice way) for my weight, and nicknames and all that related to the fact I was chubby. Now I've slimmed down, they can't do any of that anymore and its made things a bit more boring lol. But losing weight is for your benefit not theirs so it doesn't really matter. Well done on the weight loss anyway!

doom_cookie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
congratz!!!!! i would love to know how you dropped 9st in a year really i would please tell, my weight is a major problem for me. but to your question weight loses effecting your personality i think it does happen to a point, im not saying you and everybody that loses weight becomes dull and a b***h but when you gain weight you personality changes as well, less confident, shy, low self-esteem, so why not when you loose it as well you would be more confident and such but also when your losing weight it is a very you thing and a very constent thing, you consentrating on yourself and the next goal weight you want to get to and when you get to it you want to show yourself off.
LordBerkut
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Womens pay me more attention now that I have strolled unsweatingly from the zone of obesity, but people fear me less. I suppose that if fat Grant from Mcdonalds became thin, no one would be that interested. He'd just be grant then, and no one would care if her did a hamster smile, and old ladies would no longer want to stroke his hand in pity, and they would cease to wish their children young again, and fat like him, and they would just wither and die.
scotttb
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Only if you stored your personality in your flab.
truechristian91
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
it doesnt always mean one leads to another, but because you were obese, maybe you simply had to make yourself a more interesting person because lets face it, most people are shallow like that at least to some degree. but everyone has to make themselves interesting and different in some way, and really i would see this as an oppourtunity for you to try something new and different that youve always wanted.
DanaS
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It is not related
epicnerd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I used to get bullied for being fat from ages 10 all the way to 15. Then i lose the fat by 16 and started putting on muscle. I just act really cocky about how i look to those who used to bully me. Made me feel like **** so I make them feel like ****. To everyone else I'm the same as I ever was. I don't think it's related though.
odkfn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
9 stone in a year?! Jesus, serious effort. How did you manage that!?
Airfairy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Firstly, well done!

My weight has fluctuated quite a lot over the past few years. I went from pretty much obese, to normal, now I've put weight on again but not to the point of obesity, I'm just overweight. Anyway, when I look back, I see a massive switch in my personality, mainly due to confidence. As soon as I lost weight and became considered to be more attractive, I admit I became arrogant. It is just a massive confidence boost when men start noticing you and you can start the dating game with confidence for a chance, and yeah it made me arrogant.

That is how I changed. I just got cocky; not necessarily less interesting though. I am probably a nicer person when I'm overweight though, weird to say. I like to think if I got back down to that weight again, now that I'm older I'd be mature enough to not let it go to my head or anything.
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If that is true, then I don't feel so bad about about eating that disgustingly unhealthy sausage roll just now.
awkwardchild
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I feel the exact same way!!!! So glad I'm not alone in this. I dropped about 30lbs and with the weight loss, I felt like I lost my personality along the way I used to be the girl who couldn't care less about looking good, losing weight, wearing make up and nice clothes etc, I used to diss people who cared so much about their aesthetics. And now that I have lost weight, I became vainer and basically, I became someone whom I would have a lot of bad things to say about when I used to be overweight.

It wasn't a big deal to me before this because I hadn't notice it along the way but it struck me recently how I care so much about what other people look at me now compared to before. I was a lot more joyful and carefree when I was overweight because I felt like I didn't need to maintain some sort of 'image' to people but now, I just feel like I have to always look my best in front of people. I would hold back when I have something lame or funny to say in fear that people might judge me, I would not laugh as hard because it would make me look silly, I would not do things that would make myself look stupid etc.

I know exactly how you feel and although I am happy with how far I came in terms of losing all that weight, I definitely feel a lot more cheerful back then
linney
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When I was obese I feel I was definitely more outgoing.

I've lost about 5 stone and now I get called dull etc for having water instead of wine or ordering a salad. I am a lot more conscious of what I eat and when I eat it and as I'm trying to decrease fat atm, I'm paying a lot of attention to my macros so I guess I am 'less interesting'.

I'm still the same person, just more focused I suppose? I feel less able to go out for a pub dinner and a few pints and therefore to many I'm not the social butterfly that I was :rolleyes:
OliverG
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Grats on losing the weight. From an outsider's perspective (I don't put on weight no matter what. Honestly. And no, it's not a gift its quite bad for my health actually) I would say that it only affects you if you make it publicly known you want to lose weight.

I have a good friend who was, let's say, somewhat chubby in year 7. Lost the weight without blagging about it, and she is still the same fun loving person we all know and like. A few others I know somewhat annoyed me with their obsession with mentioning their weight loss.

Put simply, don't make it a public problem or things get a bit annoying an awkward, and then you feel less fun.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (65)
66.33%
No I haven't decided yet (20)
20.41%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
13.27%

Watched Threads