What do you think of this PC build spec? Watch

Vanadesse
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Need to upgrade my laptop to a decent PC and put together this spec, what do you all think of it?

I want a PC that basically does a bit of everything. Main use will be school (I'm a teacher), so software like Office, the whiteboard software, internet browser etc. I also want to play some games too, like Skyrim, the standalone Day Z when it's out etc. I'm not too fussed about running games on absolute max settings though, I want decent quality but doesn't have to be max.

Any comments/suggestions?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£155.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£69.32 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£44.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£51.79 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (£167.54 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case (£51.97 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£51.80 @ Ebuyer)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £631.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-18 09:24 GMT+0000)
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your a female teacher who plays games :lolwut:, kids must love you lool

(Original post by Vanadesse)
Need to upgrade my laptop to a decent PC and put together this spec, what do you all think of it?

I want a PC that basically does a bit of everything. Main use will be school (I'm a teacher), so software like Office, the whiteboard software, internet browser etc. I also want to play some games too, like Skyrim, the standalone Day Z when it's out etc. I'm not too fussed about running games on absolute max settings though, I want decent quality but doesn't have to be max.

Any comments/suggestions?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£155.99 @ Aria PC) Great for gaming, better at overclocking then the new ivybridge, again as others would say opt for newer tech like the ivybridge
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk) Also consider the gelid tranquillo rev 2, but yours is good
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£69.32 @ Aria PC) pretty good, do remember it has less heatsinks and sata ports then the d3h version and a few less usb ports
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£44.99 @ Amazon UK) Fine, pretty good, would say that current ram prices have gone up, I recall hyperx 1866mhz were sold for £30
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£51.79 @ CCL Computers) fine
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (£167.54 @ Amazon UK) Definitely consider the 7870, you get sent the sapphire version.........also the tahiti version isn't far off price from aria http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/1263...em-2-gb-g.html
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case (£51.97 @ Amazon UK) Case is very good, you also have the Corsair 300r for a bit more
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£51.80 @ Ebuyer) Very good make and reasonable
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.98 @ Scan.co.uk) got this, runs fast, can be quite noisy when it first starts up
Total: £631.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-18 09:24 GMT+0000)
Vanadesse
Rep:
?
Thanks for the reply Haha yup, I teach 6 year olds though so I don't think they're too bothered

I thought the DS3H was the better version, is it not? That's the only reason I did DS3H rather than D3H, I might have remembered it the wrong way around though...

Why would you recommend the 7870 over the GTX 660? I've always gone nvidia but if you can really sell it to me I'll consider the 7870!

Any benefit in the Corsair 300R over the Antec?

Noisy CD/DVD drive doesn't bother me really, not something that I use particularly often. Hence the basic cheap one.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks for the reply Haha yup, I teach 6 year olds though so I don't think they're too bothered

I thought the DS3H was the better version, is it not? That's the only reason I did DS3H rather than D3H, I might have remembered it the wrong way around though...

Why would you recommend the 7870 over the GTX 660? I've always gone nvidia but if you can really sell it to me I'll consider the 7870!

Any benefit in the Corsair 300R over the Antec?

Noisy CD/DVD drive doesn't bother me really, not something that I use particularly often. Hence the basic cheap one.
Yep, D3H version is the one which gets rated as the best budget motherboard for intel, its got everything at its price point, the D3SH is a slight lower version.

From my understanding they are too an extent neck and neck generally speaking, but currently people see it as 7870 > gtx660..........just look at gaming performance of the games on youtube between the two.http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...k,3297-12.html

Maybe extra fans.........they are both good and have very good airflow.
Vanadesse
Rep:
?
Ah I'll change that to D3H then.

If they're neck and neck I'd probably stick with the GTX 660 then.
Aristotle's' Disciple
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Good choices OP, apart from cooler and CPU this is my exact build. I opted for the 3570k and Noctua coolers. But a solid build you've got there
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Do check the link, as ts the benchmark for the both of them, at the bottom of the page.
Vanadesse
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
Good choices OP, apart from cooler and CPU this is my exact build. I opted for the 3570k and Noctua coolers. But a solid build you've got there
Do you think anything is above and beyond what I'd need? Wouldn't mind cutting the price back a little! I'll pay that if it's what's needed though. Are the Noctua coolers better? I don't really know anything about coolers really, other than what they do. I weighed up the 3570k and figured I didn't really need the extra it gave so thought I'd save a little money.
Aristotle's' Disciple
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you think anything is above and beyond what I'd need? Wouldn't mind cutting the price back a little! I'll pay that if it's what's needed though. Are the Noctua coolers better? I don't really know anything about coolers really, other than what they do. I weighed up the 3570k and figured I didn't really need the extra it gave so thought I'd save a little money.
Well I researched and found the Noctua and Thermal Silverarrow are the best on the markets, but they are expensive! And I think that's all fine, remember you don't just want it for now, you want to optimise the money you spend for the future, so these are good choices
Vanadesse
Rep:
?
Had a look at Noctua, cheapest is £38, up to £57. Like you said, mine should do. Will keep an eye out though if I happen to see a good deal.

Yeah exactly, I don't want to spend massive amounts but I'll spend what I need to spend to get a decent PC that does what it wants and lasts. I was hoping to hit around the £500 mark but looks like it won't be! I'm going to print my list once it's finalised and take it along to a big computer fair, see what they'll do deal wise. What I can't get cheaper I'll order online.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Had a look at Noctua, cheapest is £38, up to £57. Like you said, mine should do. Will keep an eye out though if I happen to see a good deal.

Yeah exactly, I don't want to spend massive amounts but I'll spend what I need to spend to get a decent PC that does what it wants and lasts. I was hoping to hit around the £500 mark but looks like it won't be! I'm going to print my list once it's finalised and take it along to a big computer fair, see what they'll do deal wise. What I can't get cheaper I'll order online.
Do be careful of computer fairs with warranty, etc and stuff....................for £500 mark there have been quite a lot of builds on tsr, but mainly the graphics card is a 7850 at most and no aftermarket cooler/
Vanadesse
Rep:
?
I've bought from computer fairs before. Always make sure that I get receipts and that I buy from official traders rather than some guy with a load of stuff from a lorry. The one I'll be going to is massive, biggest in Europe so I'm hoping the competition will mean good prices.

To get down the the £500 mark, what would I be able to cut out/down? I can't really see anything, though maybe others can. The graphics card seems to be best for what I want and that'll have some longevity. The cooler is only £25 so not a massive extra cost really, worth it.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've bought from computer fairs before. Always make sure that I get receipts and that I buy from official traders rather than some guy with a load of stuff from a lorry. The one I'll be going to is massive, biggest in Europe so I'm hoping the competition will mean good prices.

To get down the the £500 mark, what would I be able to cut out/down? I can't really see anything, though maybe others can. The graphics card seems to be best for what I want and that'll have some longevity. The cooler is only £25 so not a massive extra cost really, worth it.
where is it by the way?
Maybe a cheaper case, etc but at the cost of lesser quality components.
Noble.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Are you planning on overclocking? It's a must on a SB system
Vanadesse
Rep:
?
Manchester.

(Original post by Noble.)
Are you planning on overclocking? It's a must on a SB system
Undecided. Never overclocked before so if I found a decent guide where I couldn't screw it up, quite probably. What's an SB system? Self built?
Noble.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Manchester.

Undecided. Never overclocked before so if I found a decent guide where I couldn't screw it up, quite probably. What's an SB system? Self built?
Sorry, SB = Sandybridge. Yeah, you should definitely overclock though, there's little point in getting the K processor otherwise. Also the difference in performance is substantial. Any 2500k will easily overclock to at least 4.4GHz - the only issue is that cooler. If I were you I'd spend a bit more and get a Noctua NH-D14 if there's a chance you will be overclocking.

All in all though, it's a very solid system and you can't really go wrong with it. If this were 5 years ago I'd tell you not to bother spending the extra for 1866 RAM and just get 1600, but the prices are so ridiculously cheap now-a-days there's next to no point.

But yeah, it's not difficult to overclock a sandybridge system, especially since now the CPU and RAM aren't linked to the same frequency.
Vanadesse
Rep:
?
Yeah I looked at the difference between the 2500 and the 2500k and decided it was only worth getting the k if you're going to overclock. However looking at prices, the 2500k is actually the cheaper of the two.

I'd be getting 1600 RAM with that motherboard, says it doesn't support 1866.
(Original post by Noble.)
Sorry, SB = Sandybridge. Yeah, you should definitely overclock though, there's little point in getting the K processor otherwise. Also the difference in performance is substantial. Any 2500k will easily overclock to at least 4.4GHz - the only issue is that cooler. If I were you I'd spend a bit more and get a Noctua NH-D14 if there's a chance you will be overclocking.

All in all though, it's a very solid system and you can't really go wrong with it. If this were 5 years ago I'd tell you not to bother spending the extra for 1866 RAM and just get 1600, but the prices are so ridiculously cheap now-a-days there's next to no point.

But yeah, it's not difficult to overclock a sandybridge system, especially since now the CPU and RAM aren't linked to the same frequency.
Noble.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah I looked at the difference between the 2500 and the 2500k and decided it was only worth getting the k if you're going to overclock. However looking at prices, the 2500k is actually the cheaper of the two.

I'd be getting 1600 RAM with that motherboard, says it doesn't support 1866.
Some 1866 is supported, if you look here (support list for that motherboard).

http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList...a-z77-ds3h.pdf

Chances are that RAM would be fine, but I wouldn't risk it (although I have done it a few times, never had an issue).
Vanadesse
Rep:
?
Oh yeah, so it is. Wonder why it said it wasn't compatible then. Would you recommend upping to the 1866 Corsair rather than the 1600?
Noble.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh yeah, so it is. Wonder why it said it wasn't compatible then. Would you recommend upping to the 1866 Corsair rather than the 1600?
Just because it isn't on the list I would yeah, just to avoid potential issues. But there's a high chance that 1600 RAM would be fine. From a performance perspective, anything above 1333MHz is pretty academic, you'll only notice a difference between 1600MHz and 1866MHz RAM in benchmarks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads