Why are we only allowed to apply to 5 universities? Watch

Pink lipstick
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've searched and it doesn't look like this thread has been done before...
So why? I understand that Americans can apply to as many as they want. Why are we limited to 5?
Katie_p
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Because Universities don''t want to be overwhelmed by applicants from extremely optimistic students.
Because Universities don't want to be spoilt for choice between excellent students.
Because you can reapply a year later if you don't get what you want.
Because you should know what you want to do and therefore not be applying to every course under the sun.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In addition to what Katie_p says, many Americans think that our single, unified system is better than their own.

You can only go to one university in the end; the UCAS system just makes you narrow down your choices that bit earlier.
jeddows
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Because it would just result in people applying to a huge number of universities (say, every Russell Group university, or the top 20 for the subject they've chosen). This would lead to universities having to take longer to sort through the applicants, and could mean more people missing out on offers from their favourite universities, as the strongest applicants would end up with a lot of offers (most of which they'd reject anyway), and there would then be problems of universities potentially having lots of spaces in clearing to fill.

To be honest, I think five is a fairly decent number, it lets you have a decent spread of grades if you want, and can you really be passionate about applying to more than five? To be honest, I was only really interested in two of the five I applied to first time :/
lilixxx1000
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes I agree, I think it's mainly for simplicity. It's similar to the reason why you can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge - they simply wouldn't be able to cope with so many applications, so they would be overwhelmed and perhaps make wrong decisions about who to accept. Although I do agree, it is rather frustrating!
sabian92
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Plus you can't apply to Oxford and Cambridge in the same cycle either. It's so you have to be specific early on, that's all. It isn't really a bad thing considering if you don't know what degree you want to do you probably shouldn't be applying anyway.
Sherbet
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For medicine, dentistry and vetinary medicine you can only apply to 4.
Stops unis getting overwhelmed.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jeddows)
To be honest, I think five is a fairly decent number, it lets you have a decent spread of grades if you want, and can you really be passionate about applying to more than five? To be honest, I was only really interested in two of the five I applied to first time :/
It was six in my day (2002) although I only applied to four (and was only interested in going to one or, at most, two of those four).

Admittedly when applying all those years ago I was not in a good frame of mind and wasn't particularly enthusiastic about going to university. However, even if I were to apply now (in a better frame of mind), which I will if I decide to do a second undergrad degree, I'd still struggle to find more than five universities that I'm happy with in terms of location, course content and other factors such as disability support.
Meat is Murder
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Five is probably one too many. Both me and my girlfriend put a random fifth choice in just to fill up the slots.
rainbow.panda
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I suppose it's to help you narrow down your choices and make it easier on the universities when they're sifting through applications. If we had unlimited choices it would take longer for universities to find the most suitable candidates and give them offers.
danny111
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Pink lipstick)
I've searched and it doesn't look like this thread has been done before...
So why? I understand that Americans can apply to as many as they want. Why are we limited to 5?
Pretty sure they have to pay for applications.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Pink lipstick)
I understand that Americans can apply to as many as they want.
And you have to pay a ridiculous price for each and every one of them. Its a terribly inefficient system brought about by america's obsession with the free market. Everyone loses.
Magdatrix >_<
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Because if you're good enough to go to uni at all, you should be good enough to choose 5 and not get 5 rejections? Just guessing.
cant_think_of_name
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yup - it costs a bit to apply to American unis (about 60-80 bucks or 40-50 pounds) so unless you're rich you'll only apply to about 5 or 6 (and even less if you aren't decently well off)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (102)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (31)
20.26%
Yes but I might change my mind (20)
13.07%

Watched Threads