This discussion is closed.
I'm Batman...
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thought I should start off a thread just to see how everyone's revision is getting on, and to allow other people to share their knowledge and help each other out.

Please feel free to post your questions and queries if you wish...

The H
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Mechanics isn't too bad, most of the past papers seem reasonable so hopefully the jan 2013 exam will go well
abobop
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm struggling with projectiles any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The H
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by abobop)
I'm struggling with projectiles any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My teacher told me the only 2 equations you will need for projectiles are
s=ut+(at^2)/2
v=u+at
If that helps
I'm Batman...
Rep:
?
(Original post by The H)
Mechanics isn't too bad, most of the past papers seem reasonable so hopefully the jan 2013 exam will go well
I've always found that all of the past papers basically follow the same lines with regards to the style/layout of questions, however whenever I go into my actual exam, completely new questions pop up. This is in all of my subjects... Do find that this is the case as well?
The H
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by I'm Batman...)
I've always found that all of the past papers basically follow the same lines with regards to the style/layout of questions, however whenever I go into my actual exam, completely new questions pop up. This is in all of my subjects... Do find that this is the case as well?
Yeah, that's what AQA are like. Every time I have a maths or physics exam, they seem completely different to the previous ones. But it may be due to pressure of exam conditions
I'm Batman...
Rep:
?
(Original post by The H)
Yeah, that's what AQA are like. Every time I have a maths or physics exam, they seem completely different to the previous ones. But it may be due to pressure of exam conditions
It could be down to pressure, but I always come out of my exams saying "What the hell was that?!"
bugsuper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I feel fairly confident. There's always one unusual question, but I also feel like we get an awful lot of time for this exam - does it take you guys 90 minutes to complete a past paper? I think having an extra 30 mins margin or so is really going to help.

Not looking forward to Mechanics and Core 3 on the same day, though. Three hour exam sesh that is 2/3rds of my Maths A-Level in a day
The H
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by I'm Batman...)
It could be down to pressure, but I always come out of my exams saying "What the hell was that?!"
True, the jan 2012 core 1 and the june 2012 core 2 were really different to the others, seems likely they might do the same to core 3
Cosmo.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So how did everyone find it?
ollyhal
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I found it generally okay however the river crossing question threw me a bit...
danni.....:)
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not too bad, although im not sure about question 6b where you had to find the resultant velocity of the boat. I found the answer to be 1.4, what did everyone else get?
ollyhal
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think I got around 3.2 :/ Most people were saying 5 but that would be too simple for 6 marks!
danni.....:)
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What method did you use to get 3.2? To get 1.4 I used the cos formula (a squared=b squared + c squared -2bcCOSA) using a as 4, b as 3 and COS A as 180 - feta, and re-arranged to get c. It was a confusing question!! :confused:
Boxed
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
the answer for question 6b) had to be 1.4m/s as the boat wanted to achieve a resultant velocity in the direction as it did initially to get back (180degrees-53.1)
So you realize by drawing a triangle of velocities that the triangle is an isosceles and therefore can implement the cosine rule to find R. You eventually get a quadratic equation and when you solve youll find that R= 1.4 and -5

That means that R equalled 5 intially but on the way back it must be 1.4 to achieve the same direction
Boxed
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
remember it said SPEED was 4, NOT VELOCITY- so you cannot assume it will go 4m/s south on the way back.
ollyhal
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ah damn I used cosine but used 53.1
bugsuper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Boxed)
the answer for question 6b) had to be 1.4m/s as the boat wanted to achieve a resultant velocity in the direction as it did initially to get back (180degrees-53.1)
So you realize by drawing a triangle of velocities that the triangle is an isosceles and therefore can implement the cosine rule to find R. You eventually get a quadratic equation and when you solve youll find that R= 1.4 and -5

That means that R equalled 5 intially but on the way back it must be 1.4 to achieve the same direction
This is what I got. I had a bit of confusion because I wasn't sure whether, when they said "The boat travels along the same line AB", they meant that this was the resultant velocity of the boat or that this was the way the boat was "pointed", so to speak.

Seemed to be a lot harder than most past papers! I was working right up until the end, which doesn't normally happen for M1
Boxed
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
they said they're making them more challenging so yeah. I didn't expect to use the cosine rule at all though! Strange
J10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
what did everyone get for 7c (or whatever it was)
Asking about distance when north-west.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
67.72%
No I haven't decided yet (25)
19.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed