This discussion is closed.
LM101
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone,
I'm currently full time employed after leaving college and finishng my A levels but want to do an NVQ in hairdressing which is being offered at a training salon in the city centre. Because im 21 and full time they say i have to pay a course fee of £840 which i simply cannot afford. Is there any government funding which can help me with this?

Thanks
username848676
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm sure you're allowed government funding (free NVQ training) after A-levels up until the age of 24. Or it might be 50% of the funding, in which case that might be the 50% already taken out. If you are desperate to do it, all I can suggest is paying weekly or monthly through the cash you will be earning?

Is it an NVQ Level 2 or 3 and how long is the contract?
LM101
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
There is no option to pay monthly directly unfortunately as they have drop outs due to it only been 1 day a week course and it lasts a year.
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
See what career development loans are available....google careers development loan and princes trust. Ask the college if it has a hardship loan.

Frustratingly i believe that unless you are on a benefit you have to pay for the qualification based on your age and existing qualifications. The course price itself is very good for nvq2 hairdressing so i really hope that you find the funding somewhere. Fingers crossed for you!
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Cheeky question but whats the name of the salon? Am looking for a course that i can start before september ideally.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can you speak to the provider (college, normally) of the course? it's not reasonable for you to pay £840 up front. I know the funding has changed; but I think the loans (not the ones from student finance for uni or the career development loan) are only for people over 24.
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by OU Student)
Can you speak to the provider (college, normally) of the course? it's not reasonable for you to pay £840 up front. I know the funding has changed; but I think the loans (not the ones from student finance for uni or the career development loan) are only for people over 24.
Could you tell me more about these loans please? I read somewhere that for over 24s you can get a loan similar to that which you get as a uni student whereby you don't have to pay back X ammount until you're earning Y. This might affect me with a few college courses I want to go on.

Thanks
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by laurakate1988)
Could you tell me more about these loans please? I read somewhere that for over 24s you can get a loan similar to that which you get as a uni student whereby you don't have to pay back X ammount until you're earning Y. This might affect me with a few college courses I want to go on.

Thanks
https://www.gov.uk/24_advanced_learning_loans

Not read through it properly yet.
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by OU Student)
https://www.gov.uk/24_advanced_learning_loans

Not read through it properly yet.
Thanks for this I'm wanting to do an NVQ 2 in Hairdressing so this will mean I can't get funding because it's not a level 3 qualification. Good to know though because I'm sure I'll want to do more level 3 plus qualifications in my time. This scheme looks awesome. Hope they keep it in place!
jl88
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
wheres the course please im looking for a hairdressing course x
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Please look at thread dates before posting. Thanks.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (65)
65.66%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
21.21%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
13.13%

Watched Threads