James2358
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys new on here, i am applying for chemistry and st andrews is my first choice and have just got a letter about a "visiting day" in march or february. Although it sounds informal the letter mentions "discussing your application," which makes it sound like it could be basically a way of interviewing applicants, which makes me worried as i have never done an interview before :L Would be great to hear from someone who has past experience of this, e.g. is it actually an interview and do they make offers only after you have attended one of the days? Would be good to hear from anyone who got this letter too,
cheers
james
broccoliwaffle
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah I got a letter as well. At first, I did think it was an interview sort of thing but I don't think it is cause if it was, surely they would have asked us individually, in the letters, which time they would want to "interview" us at a specific place? It is a visiting day so I highly doubt they're going to be running around town looking for applicants to interview whilst we're all scattered across the campus.. probably on tours etc. Basically as long as you attend the visiting day, it shows that you're keen to go there and they probably want see what you're like as a person and whether you'd be someone they would like to teach in their course (hence, the need to dress smartly on the day :L).

That's my opinion of the letter but don't take it seriously cause I might be wrong! Hope to see you there though
trixiebell
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by James2358)
Hey guys new on here, i am applying for chemistry and st andrews is my first choice and have just got a letter about a "visiting day" in march or february. Although it sounds informal the letter mentions "discussing your application," which makes it sound like it could be basically a way of interviewing applicants, which makes me worried as i have never done an interview before :L Would be great to hear from someone who has past experience of this, e.g. is it actually an interview and do they make offers only after you have attended one of the days? Would be good to hear from anyone who got this letter too,
cheers
james
Hey, I am currently in my 5th year studying chemistry at St Andrews and have often helped out on these visiting days. Basically it's just a chance for you guys to see the chemistry department and speak to the staff and current students to ask any questions you have about the department, workload and general university life. Don't worry it's not an interview and your offer won't be dependant if you go or not. I didn't go to one but I know many people who did and for them it helped them make the decision that St Andrews is the uni for them. If you go on to the Saturday visiting days you even get free dinner! (This is also a chance to have a more informal chat with current students and (if your of a legal drinking age be shown a little of the St Andrew night life). Hope this helps put your mind to rest about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oxy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah, its not an interview don't worry. They aren't marking you or anything.
James2358
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks Guys, appreciate the replies, i am am now more relaxed about it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (36)
25.71%
No (104)
74.29%

Watched Threads