kingm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I fear that this is just wishful thinking on my part....

But if ANYONE else is also sitting FP2 this january then we should unite and stand together.

It doesn't matter what exam board you are taking. Though FYI, I'm on AQA.

Let's help each other out!!
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The content is so different between Awarding Bodies that I think you need to concentrate on finding people who are studying the same specification as you.
kingm
Rep:
?
I agree that it would be ideal to find people who are studying through the same specification. But given how rare it is that people are taking this exam in january, i'm probably better off finding people who are just studying the module itself.

You can see from the lack of response that it's unlikely anyone is studying it...thats why i opened it up to all exam boards.
DJMayes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't know about most boards but the most popular board for Maths (Edexcel) doesn't even sit FP2 in January...
kanojyoxx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DJMayes)
I don't know about most boards but the most popular board for Maths (Edexcel) doesn't even sit FP2 in January...
This.
HQ05
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
im sitting fp2 next week aswell (aqa) . Not looking forward to it
kingm
Rep:
?
(Original post by HQ05)
im sitting fp2 next week aswell (aqa) . Not looking forward to it
There is life! Thats good to hear man (not that your'e not looking forward to it obviously).

Which chapters are you ok with and which one's are you not?

The thing that is getting to me the most is De Moivre! I just hardly understand any of it if i'm being honest. The questions in the AQA FP2 text book really throw me off.
HQ05
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kingm)
There is life! Thats good to hear man (not that your'e not looking forward to it obviously).

Which chapters are you ok with and which one's are you not?

The thing that is getting to me the most is De Moivre! I just hardly understand any of it if i'm being honest. The questions in the AQA FP2 text book really throw me off.
yh de moivres is a pain especially all the nonsense to do with 1+w+w(squared)=0. . I anticipate a crazy question on arc lengths where theres gonna be a crazy integration. The other chapters should be ok i guess. At the moment i am practicing questions from the AQA P4 and P5 papers. I have nearly done all the questions from the textbook so if u get stuck let me know ill try to help.
kingm
Rep:
?
Nice one! Have you done all of the miscellaneous questions for De Moivre then? Because there are quite a few questions that i could do with some pointers on in that section.

To be honest, i haven't gone over the Arc length part in detail yet, i'm doing that tonight after i finish the chapter 6 miscellaneous questions. But it does look a bit ****ty.
HQ05
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Only done a couple in de moivres misc ex I'm gonna do some more tonight and do hyperbolic functions . Q4 -9 look real bad. but I will probably have them done by tommorow . But from the June 2012 I've done I don't think they are going to be anyway near as bad as the ones in the misc ex
kingm
Rep:
?
(Original post by HQ05)
Only done a couple in de moivres misc ex I'm gonna do some more tonight and do hyperbolic functions . Q4 -9 look real bad. but I will probably have them done by tommorow . But from the June 2012 I've done I don't think they are going to be anyway near as bad as the ones in the misc ex
Do you mean 4-9 in De Moivre? Because they are bloody hideous. Yeah i've seen a few exam papers and they don't look half as bad as the miscellaneous questions. Though bare in mind that June 12 was an extremely easy paper. You could only drop 7 marks if you wanted 90 ums.

I'm just going through the hyperbolic stuff as we speak...not too bad so far (i've only done Q1 though haha).

Good luck man....i'm gonna have lots of questions for you tomorrow re De **** Moivre. Peace.
HQ05
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Haha sweet I'll try
MathMan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Could someone send me the june 2012 paper please, either post on here or email me at [email protected]
kingm
Rep:
?
(Original post by MathMan)
Could someone send me the june 2012 paper please, either post on here or email me at [email protected]
FP2_June_12_QP.pdf
FP2_June_12_MS.pdf

Are you taking the exam as well?
MathMan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kingm)
FP2_June_12_QP.pdf
FP2_June_12_MS.pdf

Are you taking the exam as well?
Thank! And yes I am
kingm
Rep:
?
(Original post by MathMan)
Thank! And yes I am
Well, have you not read the rest of the thread? We need to help each other man!

How are you finding De Moivre?
MathMan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I like de-moivre's and argand diagram questions, I find them to be thought provoking and adds some fun to the papers (if you like problem solving that is)
kingm
Rep:
?
Nice. Where do you study from? School/self-taught? Internet sites?

I'm self-studying so that i can go back to university next year. Have been having a tough time with the FP2 aqa text book as it's not very clear at times. Im fine with all of the other chapters, but De Moivre is a pain in the arse. Any tips?
MathMan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I go to sixth form, but I honestly don't learn much at school. To begin with I read the whole FP2 textbook just to get the principles which I need to know and some standard integrals. Initially tackling the miscellaneous questions was a pain because I didn't really know the content inside out, but I kept going at it then I started to spot the tricks in the questions, my advice for de-moivres is to purely bang out the questions and even if you can't do it at first discuss it with someone and when you get the answer understand where it comes from and something I noticed is from year to year the de-moivre's questions don't really change, so quantity helps.

Another tip is for your algebra, integration and differentiation to be top notch. The way I did this was by attempting some STEP integrals which it is probably too late to do now, but it helps with spotting the method for an integral fast. And most important of all just attempt every question with confidence, tell yourself you know what your doing and if your lost sometimes your logic will help you if you utilise it.

Final tip, something I found with other a-level modules is that you can let yourself 'fall asleep' in the papers and by that I mean you go into cruise-control because a solution to a question doesn't really require thinking, so don't 'fall asleep', every part to a question has a significance which will make the rest of the question easier in one way or another, if you 'fall asleep' you will not spot the significance of the previous parts to a question, so keep on your toes!
kingm
Rep:
?
Have either of you two guys, or anyone else reading this, done the june 2010 paper?

I'm stuck on the integration for Q.5.b)(ii)

Please help if you can!

AQA-MFP2-W-QP-JUN10.PDF
AQA-MFP2-W-MS-JUN10.PDF
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
25%
No (93)
75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed