What right do we have to dictate how a country uses its energy resources? Watch

JenniS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I was thinking about this in relation to a geography exam I have on Brazil next week but its a general question. We depleted so many of the UK's energy resources during the industrial revolution so why should we tell other countries how to manage theirs when they are developing now?
amabella
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Because we have learnt from our mistakes and we now know how to help other countries before they go down the long and slippy road were severely struggling to get off of. (Good luck with your exam by the way!)
bssjonny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What happens in their country can affect what will happen in our own and other countries around the world.
It was previously not known how depleting natural resources and releasing CO2 can cause problems further down the line.
The Gentle Giant
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We didn't know that much about carbon emissions and biodiversity when we started industrialisation. They do, and they know that if they destroy the rainforest they are massively harming our long term scientific progress in a way that is irreversable.

And it isnt like we're threatening to invade them or anything, we're just strongly suggesting they do whats in their long term self interest.
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Because some ways are more damaging than others and lead to irreversible scenarios that impact people's quality of life. We're all humans - arbitrary border lines shouldn't interfere with our insistence that people act responsibly when their decisions will affect the lives of others (and in the case of energy resources, millions of humans and animals).
abc:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JenniS)
I was thinking about this in relation to a geography exam I have on Brazil next week but its a general question. We depleted so many of the UK's energy resources during the industrial revolution so why should we tell other countries how to manage theirs when they are developing now?
Because it has a global impact, that is an impact on us and all other countries (edit, further to this what 'miser' said about arbitrary border lines is a very good point)

Because two wrongs don't make a right - we caused loads of environmental damage, therefore we should allow another country to cause even more, is not a logical argument

The main negative impact of using up resources like coal in the UK is that we no longer have any. Brazil has the rainforest - the impact of losing this is extreme climate change and the extinction of thousands of species
JenniS
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
thanks everyone, all along the lines of what I was thinking, because if Brazil destroys the Amazon it won't just effect their country we lose a huge carbon store and unique ecosystem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (19)
7.31%
They might tell the bully (26)
10%
I don't think they'd understand (42)
16.15%
It might lead to more bullying (94)
36.15%
There's nothing they could do (79)
30.38%

Watched Threads