mww
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am currently in the UCAS process of applying for a second degree, physiotherapy, (I'm currently in my third year of a biology degree)...I have had an offer and 3 interviews for physio so far

I was just wondering, any physios out there - what is first year like? is it pretty much 9-5 everyday timetabled lectures/practicals/seminars? or is there more time for independent study??

Thanks x
Ironmike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Varies quite a lot from uni to uni as I understand it. Where I studied it was basically 9-5 Mon-Fri with Weds afternoon off for sports or whatever floats your boat. The work load was heavy in comparison to my previous degree, but certainly wasn't anything as compared to the second or third years. It was manageable with some partying, or for me, working to pay the bills.
Maes Seren
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ditto above, although we had one day off plus weds afternoons off, and went 9-4, with lectures/seminars in the morning and practicals in the afternoon. Work load is pretty heavy, but about 50% of what it is in 2nd year. Can't comment on 3rd year as not reached that yet, but I've just trained as a TFA (to train as a FA when they have the staff in to do it) with St Johns to do in any spare time (few hours here and there). I found that by doing small amounts here and there and extra around assessments that I managed to cope pretty well and have a social life.
mww
Rep:
?
thankyou for the replies guys! my third year in my current degree is pretty crazy (16,000 word dissertation and several essays per module AND exams....haha) so hopefully first year physio wont seem to bad in comparison!!
Ironmike
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The thing with physio is it is just a constant sort of pressure. My other degree the stress came in fits and spurts and then you had time off to party etc. With physio, it is pretty much just a constant stream/deluge of work. Bear in mind also that you will have to do clinical placements as you go too which are hard, especially when you have exams or essays due in around them. I remember the second year being particularly bad for this - big essays due in the week after coming off a 5 week placement. No fun.
$hadow
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ironmike)
The thing with physio is it is just a constant sort of pressure. My other degree the stress came in fits and spurts and then you had time off to party etc. With physio, it is pretty much just a constant stream/deluge of work. Bear in mind also that you will have to do clinical placements as you go too which are hard, especially when you have exams or essays due in around them. I remember the second year being particularly bad for this - big essays due in the week after coming off a 5 week placement. No fun.
Hey bro,

Just wanted to ask what the different exams types are there and what they are like in a Physiotherapy degree? How they differ from each other; if your willing to share? xD
mww
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ironmike)
oh ok, thankyou - sounds intense! but considering I will have completed my Biology degree by the time I start my Physio degree, hopefully the work load wont seem too bad also i've done the whole ''fresher thing''....so really wont be fussed about going out all the time and wont live in halls...!
Ironmike
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah, having done a degree beforehand will be of use, and you will sail through the cellular biology and chemistry type stuff you'll probably have to do in the 1st year. It's a full on course and will make pretty much anything you have done before look like a doss. Good luck.
Maes Seren
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Physiotherapy currently has made my previous degree look like a walk in the park. I had time to do other things around the stresses, and more importantly, time to relax. I'm second year, half way thru a placement, I have 14 hours of cpd to do for this placement, a 2000 word assignment, then straight into another 6 week placement with another 2000 word assignment (plus cpd time), a dissertation proposal form plus extras. Then over Easter hols I get the pleasure of having to do a 3500 research proposal, and 2 poster presentations to prep for. That'll take me to the end of the year by the time that lots finished, then I'm hoping to data collect for my dissertation over summer, and write up as much of my dissertation as possible (at least intro, lit review, methods/methodology) and begin to write up and interpret my results.

Then incomes third year...!
Maes Seren
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by $hadow)
Hey bro,

Just wanted to ask what the different exams types are there and what they are like in a Physiotherapy degree? How they differ from each other; if your willing to share? xD
The exams will vary from uni to uni, but where I am, we had a short answer written exam, a long answer written exam, a viva/practical exam and coursework for 1st year. This year is purely essay and practical exams.
$hadow
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Maes Seren)
The exams will vary from uni to uni, but where I am, we had a short answer written exam, a long answer written exam, a viva/practical exam and coursework for 1st year. This year is purely essay and practical exams.
Ok, thanks Maes Seren!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (1)
12.5%
No (7)
87.5%

Watched Threads