witex122
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I on my first year studying Law and I got my first essay back. I thought I did quite well when I was writing it up but I ended up with 45%, I feel really down about it now and quite unsure about my future on this course.

Should I be worried about this? Or is it a good learning curve and I shouldn't take it up to the chin?

TLK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by witex122)
I on my first year studying Law and I got my first essay back. I thought I did quite well when I was writing it up but I ended up with 45%, I feel really down about it now and quite unsure about my future on this course.

Should I be worried about this? Or is it a good learning curve and I shouldn't take it up to the chin?

Its your first essay so I wouldn't get upset over it. A couple of my flat mates got around the same percentage for the first essay and now they are getting 70+. You just gotta get used to uni work and maybe just start the essay earlier or put more thought into it!
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's all about learning what they expect of you from an assignment. Most people are shocked with their first couple of grades, but the majority learn techniques to get better grades. Is you first year even worth anything towards your final degree? If not, just use it as a learning experience, and don't worry .
witex122
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
My first year does not count towards the final grade, and I am relieved by that fact. I guess that I wasn't exactly sure on what they expected in my answer (Assignment contained 13 questions and they must be answered under 3500 words).

I'm hoping my next assignment (contract law) comes back soon and hopefully the grade is a lot better.

Thanks for replies
Knalchemist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I find when writing an essay, it's good to also look at the marking scheme / outcomes for the modules etc. That way you can ensure you are meeting the requirements.

Also, for some of my essays (if it was an important one, or if I wasn't too sure on the subject etc), I'd get them done with plenty of time to spare, and then send them off to one of the companies that do essay marking, so that I can see what kind of grade I'm at. That way, you can see where you're heading
i.am.lost
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
It's all about learning what they expect of you from an assignment. Most people are shocked with their first couple of grades, but the majority learn techniques to get better grades. Is you first year even worth anything towards your final degree? If not, just use it as a learning experience, and don't worry .
While it's great that OP's first year doesn't count, I don't think it's good advice to just use it as a learning experience and not worry, especially given that most internships and graduate schemes ask for a breakdown of marks (especially in the competitive law landscape), as do PhDs and the like.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by i.am.lost)
While it's great that OP's first year doesn't count, I don't think it's good advice to just use it as a learning experience and not worry, especially given that most internships and graduate schemes ask for a breakdown of marks (especially in the competitive law landscape), as do PhDs and the like.
I meant use this grade as a learning experience, not the full year. It gives him the chance to learn what is needed from assignments. There's no point worrying what this one grade might mean, as he can't change it now, so the best thing is to learn on it to try and improve for the future!
Strangey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by witex122)
I'm hoping my next assignment (contract law) comes back soon and hopefully the grade is a lot better.
Did you submit the contract law assignment before you've got feedback on your first one? If so, the grade may still be a bit low (if the issue is your writing technique or how you approach the work.) What you'll need to do is look closely at the feedback and see where you were marked down, and work on overcoming those difficulties. Ask for help as well - other people will nearly always help you, but only if you ask for it; no one will offer!

It cold be, of course, that you do well on contract law (hopefully!), in which case, there could have been any number of funny issues with your first assignment. Make sure you look at mark breakdowns and feedback (where possible) to give yourself the best chance of doing well.

Good luck!

(Original post by i.am.lost)
I was going to say this, it's definitely something worth remembering! I spend a lot of time telling the undergrads I deal with that there's a difference between "it doesn't count towards my final classification" and "it doesn't count at all." When it doesn't count for your final mark, any grade would almost always appear on your transcript - a bad set of marks in first year could the difference between two potential candidates for further study/work, especially in a potentially super-competative field like law.
Knalchemist
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
First year grades may not count towards your final classification, but they certainly count when applying for vacation schemes and the likes.
roh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Knalchemist)
I find when writing an essay, it's good to also look at the marking scheme / outcomes for the modules etc. That way you can ensure you are meeting the requirements.

Also, for some of my essays (if it was an important one, or if I wasn't too sure on the subject etc), I'd get them done with plenty of time to spare, and then send them off to one of the companies that do essay marking, so that I can see what kind of grade I'm at. That way, you can see where you're heading
Most unis don't publish mark schemes do they? Certainly not per module.

Ours is pretty basic, huge amount of discretion, as there should be when they're paying people with PhDs to mark them.
Knalchemist
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by roh)
Most unis don't publish mark schemes do they? Certainly not per module.

Ours is pretty basic, huge amount of discretion, as there should be when they're paying people with PhDs to mark them.
I didn't mean mark schemes, I meant the outcomes / objectives of the module. They really help to keep you on track.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads