England students no longer able to resit exams in january from 2014? Watch

Ilovegummybears
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Edexcel has officially announced,
Does this apply to international candidates as well?
I hope nott OMG... noo I don't want that to happen!
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ilovegummybears)
Edexcel has officially announced,
Does this apply to international candidates as well?
I hope nott OMG... noo I don't want that to happen!
When I last checked their web site, Edexcel had not yet announced what this means for International candidates.

http://www.edexcel.com/international...sultation.aspx
Hippysnake
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have they?
lornarose
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
All exam boards have officially agreed to it. It's English students only, because it's implemented by our gov. but I'm sure other countries will adopt it due to our exam boards.
Mangodepo11
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is going to screw so many people up badly.
Stopmessing
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
source?
LouboutinLove
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20266533

Apparently people are allowed 1 resit per paper, which I don't think is unreasonable.
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LouboutinLove)
Apparently people are allowed 1 resit per paper,
That isn't the case, they can resit as often as they like but the opportunity to do so will now be limited due to the absence of January exams. In 'normal' 2 years of A level study they can resit AS exams in the second year but could only resit A2 at all or AS again via a 3rd year of sixth form study or gap year private candidate resits.
LouboutinLove
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gdunne42)
That isn't the case, they can resit as often as they like but the opportunity to do so will now be limited due to the absence of January exams.
Not according to the BBC article:

Pupils are to be allowed just one resit per paper.
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LouboutinLove)
Not according to the BBC article:
The BBC article over simplifies the current situation and isn't entirely accurate in what it implies.

There has been no announcement from Ofqual about the number of resits allowed per unit/module, just that there will be no January examinations available from 2014. This will have the effect of limiting most students to a single resit opportunity for AS exams unless they stay on for an extra year or resit during a gap year.

http://web.aqa.org.uk/support/changes-to-a-levels/

http://www.edexcel.com/Aboutus/press...el-reform.aspx

Mr Gove has written to OFQUAL and news on the next step of A level reform is expected today.
UKBrah
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Old news is old.
TheMissCCC
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How does this affect A2 resit candidates who have chosen to take a gap year from september 2013 to september 2014?
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It means they can only choose to resit A2 exams in the summer of 2014
Maria De Montero
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am doing AS this year, but in august if i realize i have got anything below a C i most definitely want to retake during my A2 year, will this be possible?? or will i not be able to and be forced to start all over again? please can someone help because im slightly confused and worried
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Maria De Montero)
I am doing AS this year, but in august if i realize i have got anything below a C i most definitely want to retake during my A2 year, will this be possible?? or will i not be able to and be forced to start all over again? please can someone help because im slightly confused and worried
Yes if you are a UK student you will be able to resit AS exams in the summer of your A2 year. If you are an international student you can resit in Nov (CIE) or Jan (Edexcel - some subjects).
Maria De Montero
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gdunne42)
Yes if you are a UK student you will be able to resit AS exams in the summer of your A2 year. If you are an international student you can resit in Nov (CIE) or Jan (Edexcel - some subjects).
thankyou soo much
Onyxus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
One resit per module?

What about students who have resat a module either this year or previous, but wish to resit the same module in 2014? Does the one resit policy apply to them?
Nerd2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Does this apply to just Colleges and not to private exam centres?
Nerd2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Onyxus)
One resit per module?

What about students who have resat a module either this year or previous, but wish to resit the same module in 2014? Does the one resit policy apply to them?
I want to know this as well!
anony.mouse
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
All January a-level modules have been scrapped in England. I think it would depend on how many international students exam boards deal with, as to whether they will write more january papers just for them. I have no idea of the proportions of English:International students, but if it's mainly English students, then they probably won't bother doing janaury exams just for international students.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (158)
59.18%
No I haven't decided yet (63)
23.6%
Yes but I might change my mind (46)
17.23%

Watched Threads