Lots of mail for previous tenants! Watch

Millie228
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
My mail box keeps filling up with letters for previous tenants. Both the last one and the one before that. Some of it is important stuff, like bills. Can't believe people are so dumb they don't manage to update their address.
I have crossed out the address and put "recipient no longer at this address" and circled the return address and planning to put them back in the mailbox. Anything else I can do?
A Cat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yep, you can stop giving a ****.
bssjonny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

(Original post by A Cat)
Yep, you can stop giving a ****.
Rude.
Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes, just put "recipient no longer at this address." On a few important-looking letters I wrote "contact Uni of Southampton" because I knew he was a student.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't think I've ever lived at an address where we didn't get mail from previous residents. The last house I was in we still got mail, including bills/statements, for people who lived there more than two decades ago.

Anyway, if you're concerned enough about it then just write "Not known at this address" on the envelope and put it in the post box. That's what RM recommend.
Debdener
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Millie228)
My mail box keeps filling up with letters for previous tenants. Both the last one and the one before that. Some of it is important stuff, like bills. Can't believe people are so dumb they don't manage to update their address.
I have crossed out the address and put "recipient no longer at this address" and circled the return address and planning to put them back in the mailbox. Anything else I can do?
From my experience (I'm an estate agent for all my sins), I would ask your rental/estate agency if they could forward on the mail to the previous tenants, as they would be required to have the recent address of the tenant (this is due to sending back the previous tenant's deposit, etc).

However, if your dealing privately (just between you and the landlord), perhaps ask your landlord directly?
A Cat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bssjonny)

Rude.
prude :ahee:

As the OP politely stated, the retards who lived in that house prior to her obviously don't care for their letters thus why does she wish to care for them? The bin's round the corner.
heidigirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We get loads of mail from previous tenants (although we seem to be now getting less) and we just chuck them in the bin. I don't think they'd want them anyway, a lot of them are letters about debt...

The most annoying one however is we keep getting bills from British Gas for a meter that we're pretty sure doesn't exist (letters arrived originally for a previous tenant, we called to tell them they didn't live here, and they put our name on the account and we started getting bills...but we have prepay and it's for really weird small amounts so it's definitely imaginary; they have at least taken our names off the account but we still get letters addressed to 'the occupier')
Millie228
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by heidigirl)
We get loads of mail from previous tenants (although we seem to be now getting less) and we just chuck them in the bin. I don't think they'd want them anyway, a lot of them are letters about debt...

The most annoying one however is we keep getting bills from British Gas for a meter that we're pretty sure doesn't exist...
There is mail which I know is irrelevant or which has no return address, and obviously I throw it out. And then there are bills, demands for overdue "urgent" stuff.
Either way, throwing it in the bin is a temporary solution, it's not stopping. The amount of mail hasn't decreased, and now I've had some for names I don't know, perhaps 3 tenants back. If I'm away on holidays or for a long weekend, the box is completely full. Sometimes I have to go through the stuff outstairs and sort everything myself as the mailman doesn't bother since my box is already full.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We get loads of mail for previous tenants, but then I kind of expected that in a student house. I ask one of tenants who lived in the house just before we did and he said that none of it was important so just to chuck it, and tbh there is too much for me to write 'unknown at this address' and post back all of it.
T'archer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Luckily, we know our previous tenants so we just post it through their door when we pass. Otherwise we just throw it away. Was slightly annoying when we got a bailiff around demanding to come in our house on the first week of uni, apparently the previous tennants had 3 final warnings delivered.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I kept getting bank statements for the previous tenant at my flat, and some final notices for outstanding overdrafts, all from Lloyds TSB. When I first moved in, I would always put 'unknown at this address' on the envelope and popped them back in the postbox, but even 6 months later I was still getting post from Lloyds, so I gave up and just chucked them in the bin after that. Maybe they thought the tenant was trying to evade paying by pretending they didn't live there anymore!

The letters seem to have stopped now, so either Lloyds has given up, or the tenant did eventually tell them that they'd moved.
Clare~Bear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've lived in my house for over 10 years now. We still get mail for the previous owner!
truechristian91
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
cross out the address, write not at this address on the envelope and then post them back in a post box.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.17%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.47%
Not great so far... (251)
35.91%
I want to drop out! (129)
18.45%

Watched Threads