The Student Room Group
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath

Bath Spa Primary PGCE 2013-2014!

Hello!

I have got a place on the Primary PGCE at Bath Spa starting in September 2013!

Anyone else out there with an offer?

Becky x

Scroll to see replies

Hello!
I've also got a place...well...providing I get the grade this year in my Undergrad!

When were you at interview Becky?

Jamie :smile:
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath
Reply 2
Hey! I had my interview on 11th Jan - so a week ago! I am very excited!! I reckon people will be starting to find out and search for a thread like this - so should be meeting lots more people soon!

When did you get interviewed?
Reply 3
Hi!
Congratulations on getting your places guys! How exciting! I have my interview on Monday (as long as I can get there and the University is open!), do you have any tips to help me prepare and know what to expect?
Jo
Reply 4
The day goes exactly how it says it will on the email - essay for 1/2 hour, multiple choice maths paper - these will be fine and they emphasise that they don't use them to judge you, just as diagnostic tests to see if you need extra help.

Then there is a group interview - I didn't feel this went particularly well but it obviously was fine! I would just say be yourself, bring in personal experience as much as possible, and be relaxed and easy to talk to right from the beginning.

Hope it goes well
Reply 5
Original post by Becky-P
The day goes exactly how it says it will on the email - essay for 1/2 hour, multiple choice maths paper - these will be fine and they emphasise that they don't use them to judge you, just as diagnostic tests to see if you need extra help.

Then there is a group interview - I didn't feel this went particularly well but it obviously was fine! I would just say be yourself, bring in personal experience as much as possible, and be relaxed and easy to talk to right from the beginning.

Hope it goes well

Thanks Becky! This has made me feel better. I guess there is only so much that can be done to prepare then. Fingers crossed I will be joining you on the course in September.
Congratulations Becky and Jamie on your places!
I've also been offered a place...providing I get the grades, and was at interview on the 11th Jan too!

Kim x
Reply 7
Hi

Congrates guys! I just found out this evening that I've received an offer for September as well, looking forward to it! =D

Alun
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey everyone :smile:

I was interviewed on 16th Jan and found out a couple of days ago that I've got a place for September! I'm really looking forward to it - the course and campus seem great!

Jo, in terms of preparation, the group interview revolves around newspaper articles from the TES so I'd check out their website and just read up a little bit about current issues in education. Themes that popped up in ours were the gender gap in achievement, league tables and the government reforms (Gove, etc.). The discussion is fairly informal though and I think they're looking more at your interpersonal skills than they are at your specific opinions so I think just relax and make sure you contribute and are polite and you'll be fine :smile:

Hope that helps a little.
Hannah
Reply 9
Hey Hannah,

Congrates on the place! I was interviewed on 16th Jan as well and those themes sound really familiar... We weren't in the same group were we?

I'd agree the discussion was quite informal. To be honest I forgot we were being interviewed at times, it was that laid back. Best advice would be to be yourself and be professional. It reminded me a little of tutorial groups if that is helpful to anyone.

Alun
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Had an interview on the 16th. Got offered a place on Wednesday! Very chuffed to say the least.

The day went well I guess. Everyone is very friendly and enthusiastic.

Looking forward to meeting people in September! Good luck if you're still to have an interview.

Nick
Reply 11
Hello,
I had an interview on the 21st Jan and I found out today that I've been offered a place! I'm really excited and can't wait to start! Just have to pass the professional skills tests now.

Congratulations everyone!
Reply 12
Hi everyone!

My interview was on the 21st too, heard back last night that I WILL be joining you in September! So happy and relieved. Thanks for your advice regarding the interview.

Jo
Yay - well done Jo! :smile:

Hey Hannah,

Congrates on the place! I was interviewed on 16th Jan as well and those themes sound really familiar... We weren't in the same group were we?

There was an Alun in my group interview (although I don't remember it being spelt with a 'u') but it may well have been you! I wonder who else got through from our group?

Does anyone know about term dates and when we are likely to start in September?

Hannah
Reply 14
Hey everyone.

I have my interview in March. It's the very last date they're interviewing I think - so im hoping they havent filled all the places by then! :frown: I was wondering if those of you who are already on a place could give a bit more info about what's expected on the day. The essay for example - is the question actually ' What is your understanding of an effective teacher?' as it says in the email, or do you think it varies? I'm trying to prepare as much as I can - I am flying from my current job in Thailand just for the interview and it's really starting to get me worried!
I was also wondering what standard the maths is at? Would you say GCSE level? A bit like the Pearsons skills tests we all have to take at some point, easier? harder?

I know it is completely unfair for me to ask, being as those who were interviewed on the first day had no idea what to expect - but if there is any info you can give that can go into a bit of detail, i would be hugely grateful!

Good luck to all of you who have been interviewed and are waiting and congrats to those who are on already on - im really hoping to meet you all in September, fingers crossed!

Thanks,
Jodie
Reply 15
Hi everyone,

I have an interview at Bath spa coming up and i am after some advice on the essay. Is it a formal essay, i.e. without using 'I think that' or is it just a piece of writing stating your opinions on an effective teacher? This might be a stupid question but Im suddenly panicking over how to write it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Well done to all those who have a place for next year by the way!!

Thanks
Reply 16
Hi guys,

first, congratulations for getting an interview.

Don't panic, the "essay" and maths tests are simply to see where you may need extra support before you start if you get offered a place.
The essay is actually just a piece of writing, about a side and a half to two sides of A4, with the title exactly the same as in the email. They are not looking for a strong essay structure or knowledge of sources, they are simply looking at your ability to use written English correctly and to see that you can communicate effectively.
For the maths, if you have been studying for the Pearson Test it will be fine, make sure you know your percentages/decimals/fractions and you should find it ok. There is no "pass" mark and you won't even be told what you scored on it, as I say it's just to check your current knowledge and to see what extra support you may need should you get offered a place.

The most important part of the day is when you are split into smaller groups, about 6, you read a random educational article each, have to summarise it to the rest of your group and listen to the other summaries, then lead a discussion on your article and partake in others discussions. Be yourself, being your own experience into it, encourage each other, listen well, relax and keep it natural and informal and you will be fine.

Good luck!
Reply 17
Original post by Hannah-White
There was an Alun in my group interview (although I don't remember it being spelt with a 'u') but it may well have been you! I wonder who else got through from our group?

Curly haired guy from Swansea? Asked about PGCE accommodation? If so that was me lol.

No idea but I hope everyone got in. I think that our group (if it was our group) was really strong, I enjoyed the discussion anyway.

No idea about term dates I'm afraid, will have to look it up. I received my confirmation letter from GTTR the other day, does anyone know if we get anything further from the uni themselves or if we should just start applying for finance etc.?

Regarding the maths and English: the maths is a multiple choice set mainly focusing on percentages, fractions, decimals and a little bit of ratio. I'd say year 9 level but I could be wrong. The English is to see how you write, it's more about the quality of your work and whether it makes sense. You only have 30 mins for each so it won't be a huge piece.

Hope that helps!

Alun
Original post by Alun-R
Curly haired guy from Swansea? Asked about PGCE accommodation? If so that was me lol.

No idea but I hope everyone got in. I think that our group (if it was our group) was really strong, I enjoyed the discussion anyway.

Ah yep we were in the same interview group :smile: I'm the girl with the curly dark hair who was sat next to the course leader lady! I agree, I think everyone in our group did well so hopefully they all got in :smile:

Have you worked out what you're going to do about accommodation yet then? It's good that they can get placements for you anywhere. I live about an hour away in north Wiltshire so I'm hoping to get placements nearer to me than Bath as I'll be commuting to uni.

Hannah
Reply 19
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the help, very much appreciated. I'm nervous about whether or not the articles will be quite political - i've been keeping my nose in the papers alot but there is so much going on in education at the moment its hard to keep up! haha.
Do you think TES magazine is a good bet to get reading? Any other suggestions?

Also wondering if anyone knows how many places are available? Just want to know what my chances are considering so many places have been assigned already!

Thanks again and good luck to anyone who has an interview coming up!

Jodie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending