Favourite Hitchcock films Watch

flowerserpent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
OK, so I am new to the wonderful world of Hitchcock and so I was just wondering what your favourite Hitchcock movie is and why?
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Rear Window

Jimmy Stewart is gorgeous in it

The framing of scenes is superb

Excellent Story

Rope

Just the audacity of the single shot

Together with the tension

North by NorthWest

The fun factor

Who doesn't love Cary

The boy who puts his fingers in his ears
matthewoingram
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah, Rope is my favourite film. I think that the acting is fantastic in it and I really like the irony in some of the dialogue.

Rebecca is another really good one and so is Psycho, obviously!

Oh, and The Birds is genuinely quite frightening!! :P
feenicks89
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
call me critical and too modern , but i dont like any Hitchcock films there all soooooo boring compared to modern day films and recent (30) years directors. I really love and appreciate good films but i think Hitchcocks ones preceded the actual talent of him just because they are old and 'classics' it seems they just feed of that and not pure entertainment value and of course all films pre 1970 have the most atrocious acting, its embarrassing way too over the top.
flowerserpent
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by feenicks89)
call me critical and too modern , but i dont like any Hitchcock films there all soooooo boring compared to modern day films and recent (30) years directors. I really love and appreciate good films but i think Hitchcocks ones preceded the actual talent of him just because they are old and 'classics' it seems they just feed of that and not pure entertainment value and of course all films pre 1970 have the most atrocious acting, its embarrassing way too over the top.
Like I said I am new to Hitchcock and I have only seen Psycho?. However, I thought that Anthony Perkins performance as Norman Bates was incredible and really believable. I mean, the film is so famous and references to it are constantly be made so I thought I was going to know exactly what was going to happen and when, but I kept second-guessing myself during the film because I found it too hard to conceive that his bumbling character would be capable of murdering those people.

So if his performance is anything to go by, I would strongly disagree with your comment about the "atrocious acting".

I tend to not like modern films because I think they are too obsessed with gore and trying to scare people, so much so that they lose all plausibility. The only modern film that I have truly enjoyed is American Psycho because of its message of how superficial society is. Anyway, I would really like to expand my film viewing horizons, so if you would like to recommend any good modern films please do
feenicks89
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by flowerserpent)
Like I said I am new to Hitchcock and I have only seen Psycho?. However, I thought that Anthony Perkins performance as Norman Bates was incredible and really believable. I mean, the film is so famous and references to it are constantly be made so I thought I was going to know exactly what was going to happen and when, but I kept second-guessing myself during the film because I found it too hard to conceive that his bumbling character would be capable of murdering those people.

So if his performance is anything to go by, I would strongly disagree with your comment about the "atrocious acting".

I tend to not like modern films because I think they are too obsessed with gore and trying to scare people, so much so that they lose all plausibility. The only modern film that I have truly enjoyed is American Psycho because of its message of how superficial society is. Anyway, I would really like to expand my film viewing horizons, so if you would like to recommend any good modern films please do

Fair play cant remember much about Norman Bates though .

Ok modern films to compete with here are my selection of impeccable post 1980's films that are unparalleled now or even ever maybe.

Blade Runner , Gladiator
Mullholland Drive
Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction , Inglorious *******s (Quentin Tarentino)
Last of the Mohicans
A Clockwork Orange (although thats 1971)
Revenge
There Will Be Blood
No Country for Old Men
Star wars IV,V,VI (A new hope is 1977)

In My opinion these few films are 'perfect' they literally cannot be improved
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

In My opinion these few films are 'perfect' they literally cannot be improved
Without Hitchcock and his work which pushed the boundaries of film making, your "perfect" films may never have been made

OP

I forgot

Dial M for Murder

Superb Film
feenicks89
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TenOfThem)
Without Hitchcock and his work which pushed the boundaries of film making, your "perfect" films may never have been made

OP

I forgot

Dial M for Murder

Superb Film
somehow im pretty sure , Blade Runner , Star Wars ( as they a revolutionary sci-fi's )and all Quentin tarintino films (seeing as he created a new genre of thriller) would have been perfectly fine without Hitchcocks silver screen master of suspense attitude. Ridley Scott, George Lucas and Quentin tarintino had just as much to offer to cinema if not more than Alfred Hitchcock , difference is he didnt have as much competition at the time.
Harry Callahan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Fantastic film-maker, anyone saying otherwise is talking nonsense. Was probably a bit of a weirdo but you can't criticise his film-making. I've - pathetically - only seen three of his films in full: Saboteur, Psycho, and The Birds. All were top-notch pieces of cinema, and I'd highly recommend all those. Obviously Psycho is his most famous, but some of the lesser-known ones - such as Saboteur - are equally as good.
Harry Callahan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
somehow im pretty sure , Blade Runner , Star Wars ( as they a revolutionary sci-fi's )and all Quentin tarintino films (seeing as he created a new genre of thriller) would have been perfectly fine without Hitchcocks silver screen master of suspense attitude. Ridley Scott, George Lucas and Quentin tarintino had just as much to offer to cinema if not more than Alfred Hitchcock , difference is he didnt have as much competition at the time.
I think you'll find most directors since Hitchcock would state him as an influence. He pushed the boundaries of film-making, from the silent era till the cinematic peak in the '70s.
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ridley Scott, George Lucas and Quentin tarintino had just as much to offer to cinema if not more than Alfred Hitchcock , difference is he didnt have as much competition at the time.

Someone has to do things first so that others can build on that and take things to the next level
matthewoingram
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
But didn't Hitchcock change the way we viewed cinema even on a literal level? His decision to ban people from entering or leaving a cinema when Psycho changed the way audiences behave in cinemas even up to today. Without this, people may indeed have left the cinema before the opening titles of Star Wars had finished.

Hitchcock was also a massive force in terms of technical evolution, using only the latest and best cameras and using them in the best way possible. He was also an incredible director of actors. The way in which he played mind games with his cast allowed may not have been particularly pleasant or fair. But they brought about performances which really were made up of pure fear (ref.: Tippi Hedren in The Birds).

Without Hitchcock's works, many of these things may still have been developed by people like Lucas, Tarantino and Scott. Which means that ultimately their work may not have been as great as it is.
danadd9
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
feenicks you don't deserve an opinion. Sorry.

Dial M, Notorious, Strangers on a Train and Shadow of a Doubt are all super.
dothestrand
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Vertigo. Fantastic, suspenseful story, who doesn't love Jimmy Stewart, and oh that ending.
feenicks89
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ok I respect Alfred hitchcock ... i understand that hes influential , buuuut yor making it seem like all the other FANTASTIC directors couldnt have done there work without him -Akira Kurosawa, Steven Speilberg, (the ones i said earlier) Francis Ford Coppola, i mean you have to admit these are leagues of there own being just as influential as Hitchcock , even Akira Kurosawa (seven samurai) he is roughly same era as Hitchcock and totally dominates that time in his own way . It would not make sence to suggest that without Hitchcock these directors such as coppola would not of produced masterpieces , great ideas do not come from influence they are influntial because they are original Hitchcock has nothing to do with these elite film makers and i would even add Christopher Nolen to that list
belligerent ghoul
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Loved Psycho and Vertigo. Also loved Rear Window, possibly my favourite but I found the end a bit of a let-down.
Spoiler:
Show
Probably because I'd seen the likes of Psycho and Vertigo beforehand and was preparing myself for a big twist.

Grace Kelly's face though :coma:
peaaceandl0ve
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've only seen The Man Who Knew Too Much, but it ws brilliant. I found the plot quite complex but generally it was a very good film. I loved Doris Day's performance of Que Sera, Sera.

I watched a small chunk of Rebecca the other day, which seemed quite good too.

I'm hoping to watch The Bird sometime soon.
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ok I respect Alfred hitchcock ... i understand that hes influential , buuuut yor making it seem like all the other FANTASTIC directors couldnt have done there work without him
I am not suggesting that others are not as influential

I am saying that everyone builds on the work of their predecessors

Hitchcock was as innovative as anyone you mentioned
belligerent ghoul
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ok I respect Alfred hitchcock ... i understand that hes influential , buuuut yor making it seem like all the other FANTASTIC directors couldnt have done there work without him -Akira Kurosawa, Steven Speilberg, (the ones i said earlier) Francis Ford Coppola, i mean you have to admit these are leagues of there own being just as influential as Hitchcock , even Akira Kurosawa (seven samurai) he is roughly same era as Hitchcock and totally dominates that time in his own way . It would not make sence to suggest that without Hitchcock these directors such as coppola would not of produced masterpieces , great ideas do not come from influence they are influntial because they are original Hitchcock has nothing to do with these elite film makers and i would even add Christopher Nolen to that list
If there was no Hitchcock, then there would have been someone else to revolutionise cinema like he did and they would have been influenced by him/her, just as new directors are influenced by the likes of Francis Ford Coppola, Tarantino etc. It's just natural and inevitable that artists are influenced by their predecessors and it doesn't make them any worse. I'm sure Hitchcock was influenced by earlier film-makers.
feenicks89
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by matthewoingram)
But didn't Hitchcock change the way we viewed cinema even on a literal level? His decision to ban people from entering or leaving a cinema when Psycho changed the way audiences behave in cinemas even up to today. Without this, people may indeed have left the cinema before the opening titles of Star Wars had finished.

Hitchcock was also a massive force in terms of technical evolution, using only the latest and best cameras and using them in the best way possible. He was also an incredible director of actors. The way in which he played mind games with his cast allowed may not have been particularly pleasant or fair. But they brought about performances which really were made up of pure fear (ref.: Tippi Hedren in The Birds).

Without Hitchcock's works, many of these things may still have been developed by people like Lucas, Tarantino and Scott. Which means that ultimately their work may not have been as great as it is.

Just because people do things first does not give them a right to undermine the ingenious of people who do things later on and were obviously born at a later date and could do just as much if no more. Otherwise youd have everything undermined by everyone who did stuff first you could just aswell say that Hitchcock was influenced by the legendary 'George Melies' who change moving pictures forever but i bet more people admire Hitchcock, the same way i admire Quentin tarintino more
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads