Pecnut
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi

For my A-level further mathematics course, my school teachers D1, FP1 and D2 in the first year. I however don't feel comfortable with doing D2 and would much rather prefer to do M1. My school refuses to let me do M1 because I don't do physics so they won't let me do it at the college.

I plan to sit the M1 exam externally and ask to be withdrawn from the D2 exam. Would I be able to count this unit for my Further Maths A-level? When doing my UCAS form and etc, would I be able to count my M1 external exam as part of my Further Maths AS level (and A-level as a whole)? Along with FP1 and D1 within this AS year?

I study maths, further maths, bio and chem A level. Maths exam board is edexcel.

Thanks for your help and advice.
kingm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Pecnut)
Hi

For my A-level further mathematics course, my school teachers D1, FP1 and D2 in the first year. I however don't feel comfortable with doing D2 and would much rather prefer to do M1. My school refuses to let me do M1 because I don't do physics so they won't let me do it at the college.

I plan to sit the M1 exam externally and ask to be withdrawn from the D2 exam. Would I be able to count this unit for my Further Maths A-level? When doing my UCAS form and etc, would I be able to count my M1 external exam as part of my Further Maths AS level (and A-level as a whole)? Along with FP1 and D1 within this AS year?

I study maths, further maths, bio and chem A level. Maths exam board is edexcel.

Yes, i'm pretty sure that you can do that. Its the exam board that award you the a-level, not the college. They are merely there to help you. If you don't want there help then you don't have to take it. That being said, double check with the college, because they will tell you outright.

Can't believe they won't let you do M1 because you're not doing physics though... that's nuts. I didn't do physics when i was at college and got one of the highest M1 and M2 result for my year group!

Good luck.
stuart_aitken
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can sit whatever exams you like, although you may have to be classed as a private candidate, instead of doing it through school. In the end, you'll sit an exam, it'll be graded, you'll have the certificate, the college has nothing to do with it. Like the other person said, schools educate, exam boards examine. You can sit any exam you like, just not via your school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Pecnut)
Hi

You can - make sure your centre for private exams uses the same candidate number and it's all done automatically.

Check the exam timetable to ensure you won't have exam clashes - you can't be in 2 places at the same time
http://www.education.gov.uk/comptimetable
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads