Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i have a conditional offer for molecular medicine!! does anyone out there know anything about this course?? or university infact!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rax)
    i have a conditional offer for molecular medicine!! does anyone out there know anything about this course?? or university infact!!
    It doesn't get much publicity for it, but it's big in scientific research and especially in chemistry-lots of FRses and Nobel Prize winners..including Harry Kroto, who discovered carbon c-60

Feminism: by hypocrites, for hypocrites

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I got a conditional offer from Sussex for molecular Medicine...hopefully get the grades so i can go there. As i understand it the course is basically most of the science of medicine but without the clinical experience..and alot more lab work i would think. Researchers come to talk to the group about what is going on their field and you are given topics (either alone or in a group) to reserach and then perform a presentation to the group on.
    As for Sussex uni, i think its great. All of the staff seem friendly. And there is so much to do around Brighton.

ReputationRep:
    It's a nice (if a bit small) campus, and Brighton is a cool place to be.

That said, I don't really dig the structure of the course I applied for, so I doubt it'll even be my insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacie)
    Hi, I got a conditional offer from Sussex for molecular Medicine...hopefully get the grades so i can go there. As i understand it the course is basically most of the science of medicine but without the clinical experience..and alot more lab work i would think. Researchers come to talk to the group about what is going on their field and you are given topics (either alone or in a group) to reserach and then perform a presentation to the group on.
    As for Sussex uni, i think its great. All of the staff seem friendly. And there is so much to do around Brighton.
    I think Sussex suffered a jealousy backlash because of its fantastic, out-of - nowhere sixties and seventies glamour, which explains its recent relatively low league table standing. It's still got a great research rep, and has a dynamic international name for such a young university (the international perspective is less influenced by local rivalries)...

Feminism: by hypocrites, for hypocrites...

ReputationRep:
    i had my doubts when i first started thinking about sussex,cause u dont hear people talking about it as much as places like nottingham,exeter,soton,manchest er etc.but the prospectus and website sell it well and im excited at the prospect of living so near to brighton.im visiting in a couple of weeks but im already pretty sure its my first choice

ReputationRep:
    As a student at sussex I have to say its amazing here. I attended Leicester and Durham for a while but left as soon as i came to visit a mate who was studying here!. The housing ranges from Eurgh to Wow but the clincher for me was the party atmosphere of the place. Being so close to Brighton uni we have two campus' full of party fiends and a city full just down the road. It fantastic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miasmum)
    As a student at sussex I have to say its amazing here. I attended Leicester and Durham for a while but left as soon as i came to visit a mate who was studying here!. The housing ranges from Eurgh to Wow but the clincher for me was the party atmosphere of the place. Being so close to Brighton uni we have two campus' full of party fiends and a city full just down the road. It fantastic
    i am glad to hear that ! im coming down to visit next wednesday. which halls are u staying in at the mo?? my parents are going to pay for rent so im gna try for lewes court , east slope sounds quite minging.

ReputationRep:
    Sussex is my first choice, im gonna do computer science, loved the comp lab there! it seems like a really friendly place! i don't know which accommodation - any recommendations? the bloke who showed us round said as long as you know someone who lives at east slope you get invited to all the parties anyway!

emma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ejayheat)
    Sussex is my first choice, im gonna do computer science, loved the comp lab there! it seems like a really friendly place! i don't know which accommodation - any recommendations? the bloke who showed us round said as long as you know someone who lives at east slope you get invited to all the parties anyway!

emma
    they say that kent(one of the park houses) is nicer than east slope but is also home to major parties! i didnt get to look around the accommodation.. has anyone thought about part-time work in brighton? do u think balancing this with work is a good idea?

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering Sussex as my first choice too and going down to visit next week to help make my decision.

Did you get to look around the accommodation on any of the open days? I'd really like an idea of where I'm gonna be living before I actually go..

Though it looks like it'll be whichever is the cheapest option for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allstardisaster)
    I'm considering Sussex as my first choice too and going down to visit next week to help make my decision.

Did you get to look around the accommodation on any of the open days? I'd really like an idea of where I'm gonna be living before I actually go..

Though it looks like it'll be whichever is the cheapest option for me!
    i went to visit on wed, and though it really helped me with making up my mind, the only thing i didnt get to see was accommodation from the inside.. having said that.. apparently east slope is the cheapest - though its known for v loud parties and some cases of theft.. basically from what i gather the acc at sussex varies considerably.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I actually live in Brighton, so if you want to know about the area feel free to ask me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Hey, I actually live in Brighton, so if you want to know about the area feel free to ask me.
    i no its one of the busiest places to be in the summer, but what about the rest of the year? and is there a sense of welcoming for the students from either/both universities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rax)
    i no its one of the busiest places to be in the summer, but what about the rest of the year? and is there a sense of welcoming for the students from either/both universities
    Students usually love it here, i think. It's lively all year around and it's got a good mix of nightlife. If you're into indie and gigs then you're ok. And there's a good variety of clubs.

The bad side is brighton tends to be expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rax)
    Two factors add to the social life: Brighton is a great town, a tremendous mixture of culture and candyfloss, with some superb architecture;the South Downs, literally at the back of the campus, is ideal for when you want to recover from what you did in the town...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
    Two factors add to the social life: Brighton is a great town, a tremendous mixture of culture and candyfloss, with some superb architecture;the South Downs, literally at the back of the campus, is ideal for when you want to recover from what you did in the town...
    finally someone on this board who is a fan of sussex!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rax)
    finally someone on this board who is a fan of sussex!!
    I think it's one of the most under-rated universities in the UK, perhaps the most-undervalued, both academically and socially. We're always hearing about other 60s universities like York and Warwick, but I don't think they've got the range of research excellence and the record of innovation to compare with Sussex....they've got the league table placings, but that is all...and those things are so vulnerable to fashion.

ReputationRep:
    sussex kicks butt

ReputationRep:
    Sussex is a house of gods. To be honest you really can't go far wrong whichever accomodation you go for. They're all really close to each other and to the academic buildings there's not much between them. East slope is wicked for socialites, there's always something good happening there, although I think at times it could get a bit too much when you just wanted to chill out. Lewes Court is pretty swanky, especially phase 2. It's generally quite a bit quieter I think than other accomodations, apart from Brighthelm which is pretty similar, but you get quite a few more luxuries - en-suite, wireless broadband internet, a living room etc. Park Village i've found to be crazy fun, to me it's been the perfect balance between having plenty of people around you whilst still not feeling overloaded.

I'm really just picking holes here though ... I honestly don't have a bad word to say about Sussex, it's been perfect for me.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.