If you are able to be fast tracked due to a previous application should you take the Watch

hsv
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I applied to an apprenticeship in October, they were three stages to the application process, telephone interview with apprenticeship provider then interview with employer. I managed to get to the final stage of the interview with employer. Though I was unsuccessful, in the email notifying I was unsuccessful it stated since you have passed online testing etc you will be kept on our database and if any apprenticeships come up locally to you, you will be put forward with the interview with the employer and not have take the test etc again.

Thus I applied again for apprenticeships with the same provider, I heard nothing though the application was now "in progress" on the NAS website. I rung up the training provider abd the manager told the person who was dealing with the vacancy to contact me the following day. They did and they started the process of a telephone interview. Then they were about to send me the online test again when I said I was on their database. She saw the previous correspondence and that since I had completed the previous stages of application I would go to the employer interview straight away.

Should I have taken the fast track option (due to having done all the stages in a previous application) to the interview with the employer, or was it best to do all the stages of the application again?

Also when I rang up recently to ask about how the process if arranging an interview was going a colleague said the person who delt with my application was working from home as the person was ill. The last person I delt with at this provider had to have calls from me to ask how the process was going so they could arrange the employer interview. Should I call the person handling the application on Monday on the mobile they called me on( since they are working from home) to see if any interview date has been arranged or the progress if the application in general? In a previous post some said sometimes provider's need a bit of a nudge to get things going and to remember you is this true from people's experiences?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hsv)
Why not get fast-tracked? I wouldn't nudge anyone until they were past a deadline they had set.
hsv
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Why not get fast-tracked? I wouldn't nudge anyone until they were past a deadline they had set.
I see thanks, if no deadline has been set, just hold tight and wait?
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hsv)
I see thanks, if no deadline has been set, just hold tight and wait?
Chances are they have a process and they won't be interviewing until they have all the applicants they need. In other words, although you have been fast-tracked, you will still have to wait for all the other applications to catch up to your stage in the process. So you are only fast-tracked in the process, it will take just as long time-wise. So how long was it between tests and interview last time around - that should be your guide.
hsv
Rep:
?
Chances are they have a process and they won't be interviewing until they have all the applicants they need. In other words, although you have been fast-tracked, you will still have to wait for all the other applications to catch up to your stage in the process. So you are only fast-tracked in the process, it will take just as long time-wise. So how long was it between tests and interview last time around - that should be your guide.
Thanks, they have asked me if I have had an interview at the previous Appreticeship I applied for? Are they trying to say if you have had a previous interview through us you won't get another chance, whathould I say?
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hsv)
Thanks, they have asked me if I have had an interview at the previous Appreticeship I applied for? Are they trying to say if you have had a previous interview through us you won't get another chance, whathould I say?

I don't know enough about the specifics of what you are applying for. But I'd advise you don't bother second guessing them and just answer the question. These schemes have to be rigorously fair and unbiased with endless auditable paperwork. Unless they have a one chance only policy, they are probably just trying to minimise the amount of time and money they need to put into assessing you by getting you back into the process as late as possible, ie at the point you dropped out (were not selected or however it happened) last time.
hsv
Rep:
?
I don't know enough about the specifics of what you are applying for. But I'd advise you don't bother second guessing them and just answer the question. These schemes have to be rigorously fair and unbiased with endless auditable paperwork. Unless they have a one chance only policy, they are probably just trying to minimise the amount of time and money they need to put into assessing you by getting you back into the process as late as possible, ie at the point you dropped out (were not selected or however it happened) last time.
Thanks I suppose I was trying to weigh up whether I should have told them I did the telephone interview and online test (which I both passed in my previous application abd got to the final employer interview) before and that the last person who handled my application sent me a email stating I would e kept on the database abd if any local apprenticeships came up I would put forward fr them. Not sure if I should have kept quiet ad gone through the telephone interview and online test again so
i could have gotbtonrhe final interview without them asking about the previous interview.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hsv)
Thanks I suppose I was trying to weigh up whether I should have told them I did the telephone interview and online test (which I both passed in my previous application abd got to the final employer interview) before and that the last person who handled my application sent me a email stating I would e kept on the database abd if any local apprenticeships came up I would put forward fr them. Not sure if I should have kept quiet ad gone through the telephone interview and online test again so
i could have gotbtonrhe final interview without them asking about the previous interview.

Nope, that tells you that you passed the phone interview and the online tests and you weren't competitive at the final interview. So tell them what they want and get invited back for final interview. In the meantime think about what went wrong at the final interview last time and work out hwo you can improve your answers or give evidence of the right skills etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.3%
No (214)
76.7%

Watched Threads