Can I see a gynaecologist? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
My mum recently went and was found with quite a few potentially cancerous cells and had to have her cervix scraped and now it's got me worried!

I had an abortion at 16 and according to this, it means I can see a gynaecologist under 25 but i'm not too sure (i'm 21 now) and I can't seem to find anything on it. I haven't had the shot for HPV either. I'm not too worried about having potentially cancerous cells as I know it's rare, but it would be nice to check if everything is in working order, especially since the abortion as i've had troubling periods that are incredibly painful - the one time I brought it up to my female doctor she called me a "silly little girl" and told me it was nothing to worry about (needless to say i've changed doctors) and so i've never really thought about mentioning it since but just carried on with it. Is it worth discussing with my current doctor? He's aware i've had the abortion, but he's never mentioned me seeing a gynaecologist.
Plumstone
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i've had troubling periods that are incredibly painful - the one time I brought it up to my female doctor she called me a "silly little girl" and told me it was nothing to worry about (needless to say i've changed doctors)
First of all; what a ***** of a doctor! You can't help wondering why these people go into the medical profession if they don't actually care about their patients...

With regards to your question, I suggest that you ask your GP if he would refer you to a gynaecologist. Since you've had an abortion, suffered changes in menstruation and cancerous cells have been found in your immediate family you certainly have a good case to make for seeing one. Nonetheless, the best thing you can do is ask.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No need to see a gynaecologist for a smear test - most GP surgeries can do them, though it's variable whether they'll agree to do one on an asymptomatic 21 year old. Cervical cancer is generally not hereditary, so your mum having had abnormal cells removed doesn't necessarily mean you will have any problems. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "check everything is in working order" - if you want an STI test then go to a GUM clinic, but they won't start doing random fertility tests on anyone who asks. If your periods are causing you trouble, the GP is your first point of contact.
Dragonista
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm pretty sure if you want to have a smear done under the age of 25 in the UK you'd either have to fight VERY hard for it or pay for it.
Becca-Sarah
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dragonista)
I'm pretty sure if you want to have a smear done under the age of 25 in the UK you'd either have to fight VERY hard for it or pay for it.
In Scotland they start doing smears at 20. It's just England that start at 25.
Siobhanish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dragonista)
Actually, if you have a family history of unusual cells/risk they're more likely to agree to give you one. I had my first one recently because of this.

Explain your worries to your GP, he'll either tell you you're low risk and explain why you DON'T need one - putting your mind at ease. Or he'll book you in for an appointment to have one. Both should be a positive result for you and ease your mind. Just book in and go to talk about it
katehlouise
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It has been said but yeah, it is unlikely that you would get a smear test, being under 25, but I think the information about your mum may help you to get one. I would definitely enquire about it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (68)
23.45%
No (222)
76.55%

Watched Threads