Couples who post really lovey-dovey things on each other's walls - overcompensating? Watch

Preeka
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Just curious about people's opinions - You know those comments you will sometimes see pop up on your facebook (if you have it and use it) where one half of a couple with tag the other in a status and write something like 'so glad I have you in my life' or just write messages on each other's walls like 'I love you so much, I could just eat you', 'you're so gorgeous and yummy' or something equally cheesy. Is it just over-compensation for most of these couples? Surely, you could text each other the same or even say it to one another privately. Although it is something I would associate with quite young teenage couples, I've seen it across many different types of couples - like even those who live together which comes across as they especially log in to facebook to say this stuff to each other but they could just yell it across the room lol.

Personally, I've never really written such stuff with my bf and nor him with me - we're both not into facebook so much and even then, I find it all a bit cringy and too public for my taste. Also from what I've observed in the couples within my friendship group is that the ones that seem the strongest aren't all over each other's facebook but then again, the couples that seem to do this - I'm not close enough to them to know what their relationship is like once stripped away from facebook.

Is it overcompensation or these people just genuinely quite expressive?
joey11223
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ugh I know what you mean, ALWAYS commenting on every photo the other makes with something like "awww you look so nice xx", despite the fact..they live together?!

I don't know tbh, I imagine some it's being expressive but for others I think they want to rub their relationship in everyone else's face. Which...really tends to back fire when they have a messy break-up.
Cryogenic
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For some couples it's overcompensating. For some it's a genuine expression of love (and they don't care who sees, kind of thing). That what I suspect. I prefer to keep it private.
Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Its a little irritating nothing worse then the sad couples who like literally every status photo and what not each other post i mean for Christ sake your telling me everything their posting you like?!?

Its okay if it isn't every bloody day they say " I can't imagine my life without you" etc...

Keep that stuff between yourselves otherwise you just look needy
Wild_Precious_Life
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Makes it all the more more satisfying when the "So and so is now single" comes up on my newsfeed.
Pawsies
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
maybe they know it annoys you and that's why they do it?
the.austrian
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
People like the idea that others perceive them as a nice/cute couple (although all this posting ends up having the reverse effect!).

Also there's that feeling of every post must be returned and some couples get uptight if the other doesn't reply so yeah overcompensating.

It's one of those strange things that would never happen if we didn't have the internet...
(love letters maybe? but they're private)
aWildPidgey
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Over-compensating for what ?
username919394
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have a friend on Facebook who posts statuses like that at least twice a day. Gets a bit tedious after a while :/
Preeka
Rep:
?
(Original post by aWildPidgey)
Over-compensating for what ?
Perhaps, the relationship being a bit **** therefore they feel a need to prove how 'strong' the relationship is. Idk, that's how it comes across to me. All those cutesy mushy messages - just feels like it's put on for a show at times?
l1nguaphile
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think it's a bit odd if they live together but I think that it's just another way of showing that you are thinking of the other person without necessarily asking them to communicate with you. Also, some really-in-love people just want the whole world to know how they feel about their significant other - I don't think that's such a bad thing. Unless there's tonne of those sorts of messages everywhere on your newsfeed : then it's just annoying.
kunoichi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For me it was the other way around, a really difficult relationship i had, we barely posted on each others walls at all.

Now the strongest relationship ive ever had where i have not had to worry once, we do occasionally post hearts and 'i love you'

You cant really judge tbh, maybe some are overcompensating, maybe some arent. Just let them get on with it tbh, even though some people go really ott. It isnt hurting you.
Preeka
Rep:
?
(Original post by kunoichi)
For me it was the other way around, a really difficult relationship i had, we barely posted on each others walls at all.

Now the strongest relationship ive ever had where i have not had to worry once, we do occasionally post hearts and 'i love you'

You cant really judge tbh, maybe some are overcompensating, maybe some arent. Just let them get on with it tbh, even though some people go really ott. It isnt hurting you.
Wasn't judging, just speculating really. Obviously, my conclusions are based on the couples i know however i did mention i wasnt really close to couples who do this and in any case, any statement would obviously not apply to everyone. Out of curiosity, how comes you choose to say this stuff publicly rather than in private / publicly and privately as opposed to just privately. Not attacking, just curious.
kunoichi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Preeka)
Wasn't judging, just speculating really. Obviously, my conclusions are based on the couples i know however i did mention i wasnt really close to couples who do this and in any case, any statement would obviously not apply to everyone. Out of curiosity, how comes you choose to say this stuff publicly rather than in private / publicly and privately as opposed to just privately. Not attacking, just curious.
Bear in mind im not the type of person who goes all OTT and is like 'OH babycakes I love you so so much sweetums, blah balh blah'

I post hearts and 'i love you' on his wall every now and then (certaintly not everyday) just to let him know i was thinking about him at that moment.
Anything more 'couply' get said over PM or face to face.

Why publicly? Well tbh b/c it isnt overly mushy and loveydovey i dont really see it as much different as posting 'Missing you, we should meet up' or 'long time no see, how are you?' to my mates to let them know i thought of them. I dont see it as something that needs to remain private, if anyone really feels that they cant bear with seeing a heart every other week or so, they need to get a grip.
RollingDylan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We live in a ''celebrity generation''
People are putting up pictures of what they eat, of what they're reading and telling us about the smallest thing they've done. That goes for couples too.
Facebook gives you a feeling of being able to share everything you're doing with everybody, and it gives you the feeling that everyone cares. Espescially now with the option of ''liking'' something. The higher your ''likes'' are, the more popular you are. So people try to outdo themselves with either witty or cheesy statuses and comments.

It's annoying, but it's there.
And yes, it is mostly young couples that do it. May be they're discovering new feelings to and they want everyone to know. I don't know, all I know is that Facebook is crazy.
g36c
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
obviously, thats all facebook is 'LIKE MY PICTURES TO GIVE ME VALIDATION'

Zuckerberg is a genius with the like button and feeding on peoples need for acceptance.

And to the OP yes it mainly comes from insecurity, they think they need everyone to see that they are together in case they cheat. The same with relationship status, why the need to advertise it? i wonder why :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (12)
22.22%
No (42)
77.78%

Watched Threads