Do people 'find themselves' on gap years? Watch

nin
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
My friends and I are meant to go to Uni in September, but most of them have now decided they want to defer and go on a gap year, travelling and working. They've all said the cliched thing of wanting to 'find themselves' and 'discover the true them'..
I've been badly depressed for two years and my mind is a scramble of worries and insecurities. I'm not sure who I want to be when I go to university - being myself doesn't really mean anything.
Do people in situations like mine benefit from gap years?
Rosa Arabelle
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You shouldn't care about what your friends think about it; if you want to go to university, then go.
To be honest, I haven't taken a gap year myself, but I think, as cliche as it sounds, I've found myself at uni. I'm truly happy here; I've been able to make loads of friends, have a lot of fun on my course and develop as a person (cheesy, I know!).
I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that you shouldn't be worrying about what your friends are doing and for what reasons they're doing them; you should be doing what you alone want to do regardless of your friend's decisions, and if that's going to university, then go for it.
Hope I've helped.
Gummibaerchen
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nin)
My friends and I are meant to go to Uni in September, but most of them have now decided they want to defer and go on a gap year, travelling and working. They've all said the cliched thing of wanting to 'find themselves' and 'discover the true them'..
I've been badly depressed for two years and my mind is a scramble of worries and insecurities. I'm not sure who I want to be when I go to university - being myself doesn't really mean anything.
Do people in situations like mine benefit from gap years?
I am currently in my 4th year of 6th form (the first 2 years I was at another 6th form and had severe depression and screwed up my results) I think if I had have got the grades I would have gone into meltdown at university. I don't think it would be a bad idea to take a gap year to get your depression under control. I am so glad I decided to go to another 6th form instead of going to university. I'm going in September.
nin
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Rosa Arabelle)
You shouldn't care about what your friends think about it; if you want to go to university, then go.
To be honest, I haven't taken a gap year myself, but I think, as cliche as it sounds, I've found myself at uni. I'm truly happy here; I've been able to make loads of friends, have a lot of fun on my course and develop as a person (cheesy, I know!).
I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that you shouldn't be worrying about what your friends are doing and for what reasons they're doing them; you should be doing what you alone want to do regardless of your friend's decisions, and if that's going to university, then go for it.
Hope I've helped.
That's true, I guess being unsure in the first place is showing I obviously am not that keen on uni? I'll mull it over, but I just worry because college was meant to be really great and it was such a letdown, if Uni is the same I probably won't cope!
Thanks for your advice!

(Original post by Gummibaerchen)
I am currently in my 4th year of 6th form (the first 2 years I was at another 6th form and had severe depression and screwed up my results) I think if I had have got the grades I would have gone into meltdown at university. I don't think it would be a bad idea to take a gap year to get your depression under control. I am so glad I decided to go to another 6th form instead of going to university. I'm going in September.
Good luck, I had to drop an A Level because of my depression, however I have got an offer from Leeds! I hope all the best for you in the future x
Gummibaerchen
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nin)
That's true, I guess being unsure in the first place is showing I obviously am not that keen on uni? I'll mull it over, but I just worry because college was meant to be really great and it was such a letdown, if Uni is the same I probably won't cope!
Thanks for your advice!

Good luck, I had to drop an A Level because of my depression, however I have got an offer from Leeds! I hope all the best for you in the future x
Thanks! Good luck to you too. One thing I would say is that if you don't get the grades this year that you want, don't be afraid of doing another year, universities always take into account health especially depression. Don't feel like you're an idiot or that people will look down on you if that is what you want to do. I have never looked back!
Yeah basically first time at 6th form I did French, German, Biology, Chemistry..... Failed Chemistry and got A C E.... Moved to different 6th form and retaking German on different exam board, taking Spanish and Human biology instead of Biology and psychology AS which I dropped after a term. I have offers from all of my universities so going to UCL in September!

EDIT: the universities I applied to have also been very supportive already saying that they have lots of different support systems in place so that when I go there if I have any problems they'll help as much as poss.
ninth2
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If I went on a gap year abroad I think I'd just 'find myself' lonely, disoriented and poor.

This would make me quite unhappy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (114)
17.73%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.53%
Not great so far... (229)
35.61%
I want to drop out! (123)
19.13%

Watched Threads