Rianne!
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Right, I've got an 03-Micra, and I can do 30mph in 5th gear?! I'm just wondering what this means for my car. Can you explain it in layman's terms please, I don't really understand many of the technical terms :|
JO53PHS
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What exactly do you want explaining?

There is no minimum speed at which you have to travel when in a certain gear. Just if you're at 30mph in 5th gear, the car's going to be really sluggish if you try to accelerate.
Rianne!
Rep:
?
I was just wondering if it would have any negatove effects on the car :/
united2000
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The ratios basically mean how close or far the gears are from each other. A short ratio gear box is aimed at faster acceleration, as the gears are closer together, so you get to the end of the rev range faster and have to change up a gear.

A long ratio gearbox is suited for higher top speed, but it sacrifices acceleration.

If you have a PS3 and Gran Turismo 5 for it, the gear ratio customisation can mean the difference between winning and losing a race, but its far less effective in real life, plus i dont know anyone who has actually done it. Think its very very difficult for front wheel drive cars as well.
rmhumphries
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rianne!)
Right, I've got an 03-Micra, and I can do 30mph in 5th gear?! I'm just wondering what this means for my car. Can you explain it in layman's terms please, I don't really understand many of the technical terms :|
You have a small engine I imagine.

As far as I am aware, the bigger the engine, the less revs are needed to go at a certain speed in a certain gear. So while a 1.1L for instance will go at say 30 at 2.5k revs in third, then a 2.0L might go at 1.8k revs in third.

This means that your car can go at 1.5k revs in fifth at 30 without any major problem, but a higher rev car wouldn't. As long as the engine is not struggling / close to cutting out (or the opposite, and in the red on your rev guage), the you can go what speed you want in whatever gear you want.
Maccees
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It wont really damage anything, it eats your fuel though so you want to stay in your ideal rev range using the right gear.
Rianne!
Rep:
?
Thank you all for the help!
Beau168
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You'll find that you'll use less fuel as you are in higher gear doing less revs, although in modern common rail engines, you can end up using more fuel as the engine has to work harder at those lower revs.

Your car will be happy to poodle along in 5th doing 30 but I imagine if you try to gain speed quickly it will judder and strain the engine which is not good
Camoxide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Normal in small engine car. As long as your not labouring the engine. Also don't glue your foot to the floor rather than changing down gears. The only real downside is if you're cruising in 5th and you put your foot down nothing happens.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (58)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (19)
21.84%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.49%

Watched Threads