The Student Room Group

Most Overrated Films of all time?

Some films and their reputation precedes them. The 6000 members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences who are the ones who decide who wins the most prestigious of prizes in cinema - the oscar , tend to get it wrong sometimes and leave us with some really pathetic films lumbering behind some real greats that where out at the same time.

Give your overrated film and in such a case what ones are underrated that should of won?

My contributions - The Hurt locker , Shakespeare in Love, The Artist

Scroll to see replies

Quite recently - the Hobbit. I really quite liked the film, but it was overly hyped up imo, and whilst it was pretty good, it wasn't the "best movie of all time" like it was hyped up to be
Reply 2
probably going to get a lot of hate....but the shawnshank redemption. good film, but one of the best of all time? no way. it's great at drawing you in and then has justice, lovely ending but ehh, just don't think it's that amazing.
Reply 3
Star Wars and Twilight
Reply 4
Les Miserables.

BECAUSE NO FILM IN THE WORLD DESERVES THIS MUCH HYPE. I'm sick of hearing about it.

Come at me "les mis" fans...
Reply 5
Original post by fnm
probably going to get a lot of hate....but the shawnshank redemption. good film, but one of the best of all time? no way. it's great at drawing you in and then has justice, lovely ending but ehh, just don't think it's that amazing.

Totally agree. All I heard about was how amazing it was, and when I finally watched it..... I just do not understand how it's got such a great reputation.

I also think that The Dark Knight is overrated. It's great, but very overrated.
Reply 6
Original post by diggy
Star Wars and Twilight

Twilight i think thats pretty obvious dude, im sure that wont be rememberd
Reply 7
Skyfall
True Grit
Inglorious Bastards
Full Metal Jacket
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
I fear I may get a lot of hate for this but I think Inception is overrated. My Boyfriend made me watch it as he's a Christopher Nolan fan boy but I seriously didn't rate it.
Reply 9
Original post by Nice.Guy
Les Miserables.

BECAUSE NO FILM IN THE WORLD DESERVES THIS MUCH HYPE. I'm sick of hearing about it.

DAMN i forgot about this one .... ooooooh i haaaate this film what is it trying to do? you just cannot bring a musical into cinema in this style it does not work, not forgetting the sheer volume is deafening!! I felt raped at the end like who wants to be bellowed at for an eternity ( which is how long it felt)
Reply 10
Original post by Nice.Guy
Les Miserables.

I saw it and liked it, I think it was a good film and I'll see it again on DVD/online probably. Saying that, it is overrated. But I'm glad it's making money - it was kind of a brave thing to do and I'm glad it's getting some support.

Plus Anne Hathaway's I Dreamed A Dream :frown::frown:
I'm going for Anchorman. Moderately funny, but hailed as some sort of comedy genius. I just don't get the cult status it seems to have.
Sleepless in Seattle.

Hated every minute.
Reply 13
Requiem for a dream
Reply 14
The Expendables (anything over 2.0 IMDB rating is too high for this piece), great cast but Sylvester Stallone pretty much ruins it with his horrible acting and directing. aand the Avengers is pretty overrated also.
Reply 15
The Dark Knight Rises.

Only good thing in it was Anne Hathaway, tbh.
Reply 16
Original post by KingP1N
Requiem for a dream

good thinking man this is a very uncharismatic movie
Avatar, the same generic plot but with blue people.
Reply 18
Kill Bill
2001: A Space Odyssey - You could condense the plot down to 45 minutes if you removed the waiting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending