Ridiculous phone bill Watch

klipsan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Now keep in mind i am AWFUL with phones. I'm tech-savvy with everything but them, because I've never been much of a mobile-phone user (until I got my job, and am forced to have one)

So I got an iphone 4s a couple months ago. My contract is free minutes, free texts and 1gb or internet roaming (or whatever you call it) for £30/month.

So I got my overdue balance today which was £50. Well considering I have free texts and calls, it must be down to my internet usage how the bill's become SO high. I use things like tumblr, games, facebook on a regular basis. But 80% of the time, only when I have wifi. I don't know how it's blown up like this?

Any advice please?
sharp910sh
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by klipsan)
Now keep in mind i am AWFUL with phones. I'm tech-savvy with everything but them, because I've never been much of a mobile-phone user (until I got my job, and am forced to have one)

So I got an iphone 4s a couple months ago. My contract is free minutes, free texts and 1gb or internet roaming (or whatever you call it) for £30/month.

So I got my overdue balance today which was £50. Well considering I have free texts and calls, it must be down to my internet usage how the bill's become SO high. I use things like tumblr, games, facebook on a regular basis. But 80% of the time, only when I have wifi. I don't know how it's blown up like this?

Any advice please?
Get a contract with unlimited internet. You need to cut using the internet.
klipsan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by sharp910sh)
Get a contract with unlimited internet. You need to cut using the internet.
But I thought I was pretty safe with 1gb? Everyone told me I probably wont even come close to using that much, and I have been careful and cut back. Is there a way to check or look at my usage for this month?
ruperts
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
But I thought I was pretty safe with 1gb? Everyone told me I probably wont even come close to using that much, and I have been careful and cut back. Is there a way to check or look at my usage for this month?
Who is everyone? The people in the shop who were selling you the contract?

There is no conspiracy here, you went over your limit so you have to pay. Either increase your limit or use the internet less. Maybe turn off mobile internet completely. Some of your apps probably use it even when you arent using it.
TheStudent.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You need to check how much you've used first of all, but by the looks of it, it seems pretty impossible for you to have exceeded the 1GB allowance. 1GB is a lot. I've barely reached the 750MB limit in 2 months.

Considering you're only using facebook/tumblr, there should be no reason for it to have even exceeded 500 MB. It would generally be higher if you're downloading games/movies on a regular basis.

Unleeeeeeess, the "unlimited" calls and texts, aren't really "unlimited". For instance, most providers say unlimited texts, but what they mean is 3000.
Dumb Economist
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Any advice please?
When they say free min and free texts... the mean only for UK ... they do charge arm and leg for anything outside UK. So call them or go online into your account and check where exactly you are paying extra for and then control the same for the future.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheStudent.)
Unleeeeeeess, the "unlimited" calls and texts, aren't really "unlimited". For instance, most providers say unlimited texts, but what they mean is 3000.
:yes: My contract says "unlimited texts" on the contract I've been given. If I go on to my online account, it's says 3000 per month.
TheStudent.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by OU Student)
:yes: My contract says "unlimited texts" on the contract I've been given. If I go on to my online account, it's says 3000 per month.
Yup! quite misleading to be honest, because you end up not monitoring the number of texts you send, or the calls you make - then you get landed with an atrocious bill for exceeding a limit that you thought was infinite.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you registered your account online on your network providers website? There (at least with Orange and Vodafone there is) should be a number you can call which sends you a text and tells you have much you've used and how much you have left.
Fuzzpig
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have exactly the same contract (but with a Galaxy) and I use it to pretty much the same extent to which you said you do and I get nowhere near 1GB. Something seems wrong, do you have an app that's usingdata wwhilst you're outside?
sharp910sh
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Download an app to determine your usage.
infairverona
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Go through your contract very carefully. "Unlimited" does not mean unlimited as the layman would define it, there ARE limits and you need to be aware of these. Then check your bill for your internet usage against the 1GB.

Don't just accept that you need to pay it. This seems to be happening a lot today - are you with EE/Orange/the other company part of this that slips my mind? My friend today has been charged 5 x her phone bill (near enough £200) because they had 'accidentally' linked a blackberry and an iphone 5 to her account...she only owns a samsung galaxy. It's always worth checking especially if you think you haven't exceeded the limits.
Kabloomybuzz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Check your bill. It should detail where the costs have gone. You shouldn't have used that much on internet!
RB6144
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Who's your service provider?

Whoever it is, you will have to pay, but I know that if it's O2... if you phone them and explain you have accidentally gone over and want to add unlimited internet to your contract (not sure how much it costs not, used to be a few pounds - not expensive), they will give you an extra free GB or something like that to get you through to the next time your new minutes, texts and data allowances are issued.
BANS2012
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As other people have suggested, you are best off phoning your service provider and asking them for a break down of your bill- They are good very and informative of how much you have spent and where you have spent it. I know with some companies such as EE/Orange you can set up an account online to monitor your usage and bills.

One other thing, Have you phoned any 0800/0845 type numbers lately?
My contract is £36 a month, but at one stage I had to keep phoning student finance/gas/water companies, and my bill was £60!
Ryan17.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How much data have you used?

Go to settings usage mobile usage and it will tell you how much you have used and if its under 1gb its not your data .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Double Agent
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are you using lots of apps? Things like draw something use huge amounts of data, even when you aren't using them.
Dragonista
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Check your statement. Even if you have free calls/messages and internet it will itemise them on your bill.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
1GB is not that much if you are watching youtube or downloading but otherwise it is a lot.

Check the settings. A common culprit is your iPhone syncing with iTunes or automatically updating stuff over 3g.
Tiina
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have a 4s and 1gb of Internet, and like you I normally have wifi. I've had the phone for about 8 months and haven't gone over my internet usage once. Are you sure you haven't had to call any numbers that aren't included in your minutes? I've been stung by that before, I think it's things like 0845 numbers. Also, who is your contract with? I'm with Vodafone and they have an app that gives you a pretty up to date (within a day or so) reading of what you have used that month and what you have remaining. Could be worth seeing if your supplier does this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.21%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.17%
I don't think they'd understand (29)
16.38%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.98%
There's nothing they could do (50)
28.25%

Watched Threads

Latest