Anyone unemployed done/doing A Levels? (funding) Watch

ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
After realising what I wanted to do in life (astronomy/astrophysics/cosmology), I planned on waiting until I had a (permanent) job. After some time passed, I realised this was 20th Century thinking.

So any unemployed people here with some advice? It's a ***** finding out what funding there is and the details. Plenty of info on higher education, but further education takes much Googling and a few dozen opened tabs.

Would be much easier if the Jobcentre didn't exclude JSA from people in full time education, doing work while at college is hardly a baffling concept.

So thought may as well ask here if anyone has any concrete info on how someone unemployed can get into A Levels, if it's possible at all.
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Bumped.
SillyEddy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It might be worth looking at the Professional and Career Development Loans and also Grants and Bursaries for Adult Learners on the government website.

I think the PCDL will be suitable for A-levels. A local college might also offer a sort of "catch up" course where you can rush through qualifications and set yourself up for university. I know someone who is in their late 20s who just started college and is going to university straight after - I'm not sure if student finance covered that (as it leads to university) or if he paid for it himself.
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
(Original post by SillyEddy)
It might be worth looking at the Professional and Career Development Loans and also Grants and Bursaries for Adult Learners on the government website.

I think the PCDL will be suitable for A-levels. A local college might also offer a sort of "catch up" course where you can rush through qualifications and set yourself up for university. I know someone who is in their late 20s who just started college and is going to university straight after - I'm not sure if student finance covered that (as it leads to university) or if he paid for it himself.
Problem with a loan is: Am I going to get one with the providor having no reason to believe I have the means to pay it back, and that I'll be taking a bigger loan out in 2 years?

With the specific grant you gave, their maximum is only £500.

It's a bit of a catch-22 in that there's no point looking at colleges and courses without knowing if I can even afford them, but these grants and loans need you to be about to undertake a course before they even give you the details.

Though I did just bump into this at complete random, quite luckily cause I haven't seen it before:

The Government is introducing 24+ Advanced Learning Loans for learners aged 24 and above in further education and training studying at Level 3 and above [and] for those starting their course or apprenticeship on or after 1 August 2013.

24+ Advanced Learning Loans will cover the cost of tuition, so learners do not have to pay upfront. Interest on the loans will be lower than anything available on the high street and linked to inflation. Any balance outstanding is written off after 30 years.

Have to look into that then.

About 'rushing', that's a word I'd like to avoid. I'll consider something as long as it's not something which isn't as highly regarded as others, but it seems the best way is the right way. 3.5 A Levels (AAA) then a highly regarded uni. May as well do things properly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.3%
No (214)
76.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed