Have I ruined my chances of university? Watch

xkatherinerose
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Okay... This might be quite long, but I need to explain my situation before asking my questions... (I'm in Scotland btw, if that affects things)
I attended a regular high school from S1-S2, but I had a really difficult time due to bullying, so I was hardly in school for those two years, then I dropped out completely at the start of S3. I was off school for just about a year, when I joined a boarding school which was specifically designed for people that have had difficulties with school for whatever reason.

I sat Intermediate 1 IT and Intermediate 2 English in 2011, and I achieved both at A grade. In 2012 I struggled with mental health issues, and so I basically couldn't cope with schoolwork. I went into the exams without having studied at all. I passed all of them however; Intermediate 2 biology - C, Intermediate 2 chemistry - C, Higher English - C, and Intermediate 1 maths - A.

This year, I am entered for higher biology & chemistry, as well as intermediate 2 maths and advanced higher English.

However, I visited a college yesterday, and the advisor told me that I have basically no hope of going to university, since exams need to be in one sitting. (Ideally I want to study medicine, but I know that's quite unrealistic, so psychology would be my second choice).

Is there any point in sitting the exams I am entered for this year, since I won't be able to gain access to any course I want even if I managed to get all A grades (which I won't since I'm self-teaching biology and chemistry)? No colleges offer 5 highers at one sitting, so I am looking into sitting them as an external candidate. However, SQA don't seem to encourage that, so I was thinking about sitting A levels externally since there is a college near me that provides for external A level candidates. One problem though - is there any A levels that don't require internal assessments and you can just sit the exam?

I am seriously at a loss on what to do, so any advice would be appreciated. (This probably made no sense, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask away!)
Happydude
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You could always just go back to school and do five highers in one sitting? I wouldn't recommend sitting chemistry and biology just now, that ruins the whole 'one-sitting' thing unis like. I know a guy that went back to school as an older student since he had suffered from an illness for a few years, so you could always ring and ask!
xkatherinerose
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Happydude)
You could always just go back to school and do five highers in one sitting? I wouldn't recommend sitting chemistry and biology just now, that ruins the whole 'one-sitting' thing unis like. I know a guy that went back to school as an older student since he had suffered from an illness for a few years, so you could always ring and ask!
I actually never thought of that, I'll look into it! Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (144)
60.25%
No I haven't decided yet (54)
22.59%
Yes but I might change my mind (41)
17.15%

Watched Threads