Is it possible to do Maths Studies and still do well in Physics SL? Watch

EDC19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey, I'm currently in my first year of the IB, and am currently taking Physics and Maths at SL. However, i'm struggling with the maths, in my opinion anyway, and I was thinking of switching to Maths Studies. However, my teacher (who teaches me both Physics and Maths) said i'd find Physics SL very hard if I switched to Maths Studies.

However, my future career ambitions, do not focus on Maths at all (hoping to do Eng. Lit at Uni and possibly go on to be a Primary School teacher) so, I feel like would it be more worthwhile me doing Maths Studies, as i feel i'd be more likely to get a higher mark in it than Maths SL.

So, do any of you do Physics SL and Maths Studies, and do not find it a problem?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks
EDC19
Rep:
?
*bump*
Djakho
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Change now. Switch to Math studies and leave physics SL. Biology is by far the easiest of sciences. You will have an easier life and will get to focus on what you actually like.
EDC19
Rep:
?
(Original post by Djakho)
Change now. Switch to Math studies and leave physics SL. Biology is by far the easiest of sciences. You will have an easier life and will get to focus on what you actually like.
Hey, thanks for your reply. I decided to opt out of Maths SL and have switched to Maths Studies SL. I have spoken to my teacher about it, and she has said that she does not think many (if any) problems will arise because of it.

Is Physics SL really that hard?? I already need to catch up upon work i've missed in the first term from Maths Studies, and switching to SL Biology, would also require doing this. Is Biology SL really that easy compared to Physics SL?
Djakho
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by EDC19)
Hey, thanks for your reply. I decided to opt out of Maths SL and have switched to Maths Studies SL. I have spoken to my teacher about it, and she has said that she does not think many (if any) problems will arise because of it.

Is Physics SL really that hard?? I already need to catch up upon work i've missed in the first term from Maths Studies, and switching to SL Biology, would also require doing this. Is Biology SL really that easy compared to Physics SL?
The problem is, I have experience of only one IB school. Have never ever been to another one. Yet, in terms of content, biology is like baby food compared to chewing a physics steak. But, there is always the question of how teacher organized the curriculum. If they weren't pulling really really really hard first semester it should be relative easily.

But really, unless you are pursuing physics related courses or interests, it's unnecessary evil.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads