Weight loss advice? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am 16 years old, 169 pounds (12.12 stone) and 5'7.
I'd really like to get to 10 stone by the time I go on holiday and start uni around August/Sept, giving me about 6 months. Do you guys think this is realistic and doable considering my age weight etc? I've lost 3.5lbs already in a week (slimming world and exercise) but I heard that weight loss slows down after a few weeks... Any comments or advice would be appreciated xxx
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I mean 17. Typo haha
sallyjoseph
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I try usually natural way for weight loss like exercise, yoga, proper diet and all.
Vanadesse
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You will always have a bigger first week loss, that's if you do exactly the same thing in the first and second week, as you deplete your glycogen stores so you lose some water weight. Week two is usually a slightly lower loss for that reason but then it should carry on at a decent rate. If you stick to slimming world properly you could lose 2-3lbs a week. Your losses will get smaller as you get closer to where you should be, that's because you'll be smaller and so burn less calories in your day to day activities. 6 months is roughly 24 weeks, if you lost an average of 2lb a week you 'd be 10.12, not quite where you want to be but not far off. If you were to lose an average of 2.5lbs a week you'd be at 10st in exactly 24 weeks time. So yes, it's doable. You just need to stay focused and keep on track with it, remember why you're doing it and let that keep you motivated.

Keep doing SW, it's a plan that's very easy to stick to and if you do, it works. If you want more specific advice about exercise, let us know.
stevebroad567
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Its always better to try natural way for weight loss,like yoga,Exercises and walking...
Vanadesse
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by stevebroad567)
Its always better to try natural way for weight loss,like yoga,Exercises and walking...
Not really sure what you're trying to say there. By natural ways you mean what exactly? Just exercise and not diet? Nothing wrong with dieting, if you have bad eating habits then to lose weight you do need to diet, well not diet, change your eating habits, which is what Slimming World is all about. Yoga, exercises and walking covers basically anything because of the exercises, so not sure if you mean generally or specific exercise like yoga and walking. In my opinion, whatever exercise you do is only going to help if you do it right.

OP... are you doing any exercise alongside SW? When they talk about Body Magic it can really make a difference, worth doing.
ash92:)
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Eat healthy, exercise, cut out unhealthy snacks. Also eat slower
Tom78
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am 16 years old, 169 pounds (12.12 stone) and 5'7.
I'd really like to get to 10 stone by the time I go on holiday and start uni around August/Sept, giving me about 6 months. Do you guys think this is realistic and doable considering my age weight etc? I've lost 3.5lbs already in a week (slimming world and exercise) but I heard that weight loss slows down after a few weeks... Any comments or advice would be appreciated xxx
check your BMI to see if you should be losing weight, then the trick is eat healthy while still having a balanced diet eatr smaller portions and more exercise
Amanbabbar./
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Go gym everyday.
Beth_L_G
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Might not quite get down to 10 but you can be well on the way. If you want to stick to it don't go to extreme. Cut down to 1200kcal a day and do half an hour of exercise a day, such as jogging or cycling

Make sure you drink plenty and good luck
Dreambrother
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Beth_L_G)
Might not quite get down to 10 but you can be well on the way. If you want to stick to it don't go to extreme. Cut down to 1200kcal a day and do half an hour of exercise a day, such as jogging or cycling

Make sure you drink plenty and good luck
1200 kcal!?!?!? Thats an extreme amount to cut to and with the extra exercise I'd go as far to argue that this isn't a healthy diet. I would recommend taking in around 1500 kcal and if you do any exercise make sure you make up the calories (with something healthy) to get to 1500kcal again. To lose weight you need to burn more than you consume, make sure to count how many calories you take in and how many you burn. If the maths is correct you should lose weight every week.
Beth_L_G
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dreambrother)
1200 kcal!?!?!? Thats an extreme amount to cut to and with the extra exercise I'd go as far to argue that this isn't a healthy diet. I would recommend taking in around 1500 kcal and if you do any exercise make sure you make up the calories (with something healthy) to get to 1500kcal again. To lose weight you need to burn more than you consume, make sure to count how many calories you take in and how many you burn. If the maths is correct you should lose weight every week.
1200 is the minimum you can drop to before your body goes into starvation mode. I suggest this amount as you'll most likely go over it without realising, so it's a good number to aim for
Vanadesse
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did calorie counting and lost 3 stone doing it. At 1200 it was hard, I was tired, I was hungry. I started to eat my exercise calories back and I felt better. I started to up my net calories to around 1500 and felt great, it worked much better. It is really important to have those exercise calories back though and I'll have the odd day where I'll go up to around 1800 as it stops your body getting used to such a low number and hitting starvation mode. I actually find I lose better if I net around 1200 than 1500, so I'd aim for 1500. You can use a website called myfitnesspal to track your food and exercise calories. It'll also recommend what your net calories should be.

Beth, 1200 is the minimum you can drop to but that doesn't mean that it's what you should drop to. If you're going to be counting calories I'm assuming that you'd be using something to help you do that. Far better to aim for around the 1500 mark.
Dreambrother
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
1200 is the minimum you can drop to before your body goes into starvation mode. I suggest this amount as you'll most likely go over it without realising, so it's a good number to aim for
Ahhhh I see, but you're assuming OP will go over, if they monitor their nutrition properly they'll be fine with a more reasonable number. If OP had no time limit then they would still losing weight with 1800 kcal a day. This is why I say 1500kcal should be fine, not so close to starvation yet still a good enough intake to create a noticeable loss.
Beth_L_G
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Vanadesse)
I did calorie counting and lost 3 stone doing it. At 1200 it was hard, I was tired, I was hungry. I started to eat my exercise calories back and I felt better. I started to up my net calories to around 1500 and felt great, it worked much better. It is really important to have those exercise calories back though and I'll have the odd day where I'll go up to around 1800 as it stops your body getting used to such a low number and hitting starvation mode. I actually find I lose better if I net around 1200 than 1500, so I'd aim for 1500. You can use a website called myfitnesspal to track your food and exercise calories. It'll also recommend what your net calories should be.

Beth, 1200 is the minimum you can drop to but that doesn't mean that it's what you should drop to. If you're going to be counting calories I'm assuming that you'd be using something to help you do that. Far better to aim for around the 1500 mark.
Just realised I didn't make it clear I meant net calories. Although I do stick to 1200 before exercise and its worked well for me, as long as you spread it into 5 small meals a day you don't get hungry or fatigued
Anonymous #2
Report 6 years ago
I use the myfitnesspal app on my phone and I try to stick to about 1600 calories a day and in that is included around an hour to 90 minutes of walking on week days.

I'm not sure (like genuinely not sure as opposed to being too embarrassed to post) what my weight is, but should this help me to a reasonable degree? trying to replace the **** I eat with more nutritional options, but what would you suggest?
JD95
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The above anonymous post was mine - not sure why it went on anon or why it said I was the thread starter either but there you go (I'm not the OP btw).

Sorry if you feel this is hijacking your thread though OP!
Vanadesse
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just realised I didn't make it clear I meant net calories. Although I do stick to 1200 before exercise and its worked well for me, as long as you spread it into 5 small meals a day you don't get hungry or fatigued
You might not be getting hungry or fatigued but that doesn't mean that what you're doing is healthy. If you're netting under 1200 calories I can almost guarantee you're doing some form of harm. Beyond that, you're screwing over your metabolism so you'll struggle to keep weight off once you start going back to eating normally.

Would you put 1 litre of fuel on a car and expect it to drive 50 miles? No, in the same way you can't put 1200 calories worth of fuel into your body and expect it to do all it's normal daily functions and the extra exercising you're doing. Sooner or later you will see the impact that will have on your body as it shuts down just as a car does without fuel. By eating a healthy amount you'll do yourself much better in the long run.
Vanadesse
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I use the myfitnesspal app on my phone and I try to stick to about 1600 calories a day and in that is included around an hour to 90 minutes of walking on week days.

I'm not sure (like genuinely not sure as opposed to being too embarrassed to post) what my weight is, but should this help me to a reasonable degree? trying to replace the **** I eat with more nutritional options, but what would you suggest?
Sounds fine to me. The walking isn't going to burn off massive calories but it's certainly better than doing nothing at all. It's an easy and healthy exercise to do.

Food wise my advice would be this. Avoid processed food as much as possible. Try and make the bulk of any meal protein and veg. Find healthier ways of cooking things, poaching eggs instead of frying, use a low calorie spray rather than pouring in oil where possible. Find healthy snack options like fruit, leg, low fat/low sugar yogurts etc. Generally just they and choose healthier options. Look at the packages of things you buy so you're aware of the nutritional content. My biggest bit of advice is if you're hungry, eat something. Just make it the right thing. Better to have a healthy snack than crisps or whatever else later because you tried to ignore it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (210)
26.96%
Not great so far... (280)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads