The Student Room Group

Spliced and diced - perhaps one day, a little shredded!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shawshank
The whole Amskyr thing is just a well organised charade. We know what he really wants :sexface:

Agreed. He even likens setting up for a deadlift to getting into position to be banged from behind.... The evidence is mounting up.... :sexface:

Original post by Hype en Ecosse

A lot of guys do usually struggle with keeping the lower back extended during deadlifts, and they struggle with being able to feel it. I know I did for ages because it's not a movement we ever have to learn how to do before lifting. What I found helped is imagining you're getting into a "**** me from behind" position
Oh lawd, pls don't ruin my fantasy land guiz. u must never know the truth.
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
Did you settle for the £7.50 one or find cheaper?

A different one, I can't get to the £7.50 one as I can't get out of my house in the car I can drive at home. Have to go out by 4x4 which I'm not on the insurance for, (live on a smallholding - it's actually used as a 4x4 :tongue: ) so went to this gym thats 10 mins up the road rather than best part of 30 mins into Exeter. This was £8.50, which is with a student discount......

Original post by Shawshank
shalt... not?

Typo, was on phone :smile: "Shalt not", indeed. I've corrected it, cheers for pointing it out!

Today I realised that I'm a whiney git. I apologise in advance for all subsequent logs.. as I seem to whine or complain.. alot :tongue:

Anyway... todays gym has no barbells. None other than 5 preset weight at 10kg intervals from 10kg. One E/Z bar and dumbbells up to 30kg. Meaning that today was make do with what I have at my disposal.

Decided against squatting in a smith machine, I believe it's an unnatural movement on the back (?) in this knowledge, decided against it.

Leg press machine. Been a while since I used one so I had no real idea what weight I can push out.
115kg 1 x 4
125kg 1 x 5
135kg 1 x 8
175kg 1 x 10 still was easy
185kg 1 x 10 Still easy
195kg 1 x 10
1 x 8
Then got bored

DB walking lunges 10 lunge = 1 set
3 sets
20kg DBs in each hand. Was easy enough, but forearms were screaming.

Pullups... first time I've had a pullup platform with no step. It was a bit of a weird set up... neutral grip chin up bars could be reached on my tip toes... then to get the pullup bars I had to heave myself up using the chin bars to the pullups bars.
For subsequent sets got one of those balance bouncey things and used it as a step up, still had to jump from it to pull up bar.
I'm 5'11'' btw.

Pull ups
1 x 4
2 x 5
Sunday roast didn't help with these.. was tricky

DB OHP
12kg 1 x 5
18kg 1 x 7
26kg 3 x 5
Forearm pump was dreadful doing these having done the previous.. could barely grip the DBs

Lateral raises - HFerguson style - could feel the delt recruitment more than normal lateral raises. Would recommend.
10kg 1 x 10 each side
Then 10sec rests between sets
3 x 5
1 x 8
Dat volume - shoulders are feeling it
Forearm pain level - manageable

Upright rows with preset bar - 40kg
3 x 8
Forearm pump was incredible

I attempted a set of curlz for gurlz to finish, I got 3 reps before forearms decided that enough was enough.

Edit: If you want to see what I look like about 30 mins after a meal and in cold temperatures so I look like some kind of polar bear
I entered the transformation contest!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=45827224#post45827224

Scoobie... I'm nearly there with my transformation.. from healthy person, to really ill transplant patient to marathon runner. Sorry it's taken so long!
(edited 10 years ago)
After a brief bug.. I know have a blog again!
Original post by Angry cucumber
After a brief bug.. I know have a blog again!

Read this and was like "you edited the OP, didn't you."
You did. :tongue:

That Sunday roast definitely helped, brah. It added extra weight to your pullups. :wink:
Nice gym MacGyver skills. Good that you still got a decent workout in!
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Read this and was like "you edited the OP, didn't you."
You did. :tongue:

That Sunday roast definitely helped, brah. It added extra weight to your pullups. :wink:
Nice gym MacGyver skills. Good that you still got a decent workout in!

I changed 35 -> 36.. that was the one change :tongue: Couldn't believe that my blog vanished :lol:

And yes, weighted pullups :tongue:
Welcome to the shoulder volume club, feels good doesn't it :awesome:

Them feels when your shoulders are so pumped that you have to lean on everything you can find at every angle you can find to try and reduce it. :awesome:

I've found cable curls are a good way around being too pumped everywhere else.
^ I need to join that club, the feel when I only press like once a fortnight.
Original post by AreebWithaHat
^ I need to join that club, the feel when I only press like once a fortnight.

Do you even bro?
And food said let there be volume and volume there was

I've never had so much lactate in my body that I thought I was going to vomit

Leg press
warm up +
202.5 3 x 10
Maxed out the leg machine and I don't even lift

Lunges 1 set of 30kg DBs in each hand. I was broken by this
3 sets with 22kg in each hand

Fly deck machine (lol?)
75lbs 1 x 8
1 x 10
85 1 x 8
Unnatural machine but good stretch on pecs

Decline DB bench
4 x 7 30kg DBs All kinds of feeeeels

Attempt at stiff legged Deadlift with preset bar
60kg 1 x 5
Felt nothing, form wasn't great either as I've never really done them, so I gave up.

Cable rows - maxed out cable column
3 x 10 30 sec rest between sets
Felt nothing until the 25th rep...

Dips on dip assistance machine
If you can do a BW dip, I don't understand how this is of any use... with no assistance weight, you do your dip and then hit by platform on your way back down, putting you off.
1 x 10
Ceebs as no belt to add weight to

Bicep curlz
1 x 10 12kg DBs
1 x 8 16kg DBs supersetted with 1 x 5 12kg DBs
1 x 5/ 1 x 5

Cable pulldowns
what ever 18 means on the cable column... it wasn't kilos but it was heavier than lbs
3 x 8
21 1 x 8

Then a bit of madness

Leg press machine.. how many before starting to go dizzy/ pain levels get too high
202.5kg 1 x 15 Could have done maybe one or two more
No rest
Hammercurl to failure 1 x 8 12kg DBs
No rest
Cable pulldown 25 1 x 5
30sec rest
Tricep kickbacks 10kg DBs 1 x 8

Lactate levels were high

Session review... Bro level = High
Dude, I would structure your training a little bit more.

Follow a weekly routine and make sure you are progressing on all of your lifts. Also, start with compound movements, then onto isolation.

For example, do all of your bench/rows/pull ups/shoulder presses/squats/deadlifts/lunges and the start, then move onto lateral/front raises, arms, flys. Also your volume is really high!

Stick to 4 compound movements and then a few isolations in either a 2xlower/upper or 3xfull body split.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you want a sample routine or anything.
Apologies... just seen your more recent workouts and it looks better :smile:
You know it's good volume when you have to scroll down!
Original post by BCcfc92
Apologies... just seen your more recent workouts and it looks better :smile:

Despite recent appearences I'm actually doing a form of SS. Gym I've been using the last 2 times has no barbells so I've just be pratting around tbh.

No training for a few days, just had a venesection... fatigued for the rest of the day now and it'll be a few days before I feel able to lift again.

No training for a few days, just had a venesection... fatigued for the rest of the day now and it'll be a few days before I feel able to lift again.

Is that literally just removing blood? I googled and that's what I read, didn't go too much into the whys and wherefores etc.
Is that literally just removing blood? I googled and that's what I read, didn't go too much into the whys and wherefores etc.

Yep, had a pint of blood taken off. It's because I had so many blood transfusions when I was ill (literally hundreds of pints of blood), however you get about a tea spoon of iron with each one. As I was ill and incredibly anaemic my body couldn't metabolise the iron to haemoglobin, so it got deposited... spread depends on the person, generally the liver takes the biggest load, but iron is also stored in joints, the heart and other random places.
When I started having them, my ferratin (storage molecule for iron) level was in excess of 5500, it should be 10 - 100. It's now in and around the 1000 mark.
Yep, had a pint of blood taken off. It's because I had so many blood transfusions when I was ill (literally hundreds of pints of blood), however you get about a tea spoon of iron with each one. As I was ill and incredibly anaemic my body couldn't metabolise the iron to haemoglobin, so it got deposited... spread depends on the person, generally the liver takes the biggest load, but iron is also stored in joints, the heart and other random places.
When I started having them, my ferratin (storage molecule for iron) level was in excess of 5500, it should be 10 - 100. It's now in and around the 1000 mark.

That sounds pretty bad. Here is hoping to a speedy recovery and getting back to the gains!
That sounds pretty bad. Here is hoping to a speedy recovery and getting back to the gains!

2 or 3 days and I will be back to it :cool:
Ouch that sounds painful, I hate anything to do with needles and taking blood... get well soon bro :hugs:
x

Do you always dumbbell bench man? It's kind of annoying trying to get the benches in a uni gym - especially at mine where a few competitive powerlifters train.

Quick Reply

Latest