The Student Room Group

Spliced and diced - perhaps one day, a little shredded!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Motorbiker
It's a dark day... I "celebrated" the anniversary of it though by having an awesome gym session with some nice PBs so it's not a life ending injury.

Good plan. Depending on the exact injury you could do more or less without having an impact on it...

Pain at thoracolumbar junction when pressed. Sends pain signals down lower back, making the muscles ridiculously tight.
Hopefully proffessor will be able to sort me out!

I'll see how it goes, benching is fine so will take it from there

New routine

A - Leg extension
Bench
Hamstring curl
DB OHP sets of ~8
Dips
Pull ups
Lunges
Misc

B - Leg extension
OHP
Hamsting curl
Chins
Lunges
Some kind of chest
Misc

No leg work on wednesdays I think. Will see how it goes though
This new routine will need altered.. it's damn brutal... made worse by a headache I couldn't shift.. it only came on whilst I was in the gym

Someone had messed up the leg extension machine badly, I had no idea how to reconfigure it as it was so messed up

Leg press
195kg 2 x 15

Bench
20kg 1 x 5
60kg 1 x 5
70kg 2 x 5
80kg 1 x 3
85kg 1 x 1
90kg 3 x 3 PB Would have had maybe 4-3-3 but my spotter was very grab happy so left it at that.
Would normally bench with no spotter but due to lack of plates I couldn't lift the bench high enough with the 15kg plates I was using so at full lockout I could only just drag the bar out.. made reracking difficult. Hence the spotter
80kg 1 x 3

Hamstring curls
62.5 2 x 5 PB
1 x 7 PB

Pull ups
3 x 5
Really felt the lats after benching. Felt good. Bicep pump wasn't so good after these for the rest of the session

DB OHP
10kg DBs 1 x 5
17.5kg DBs 1 x 5
25kg DBs 1 x 8
2 x 6
Horrific having benched... but needs to be done to get my OHP increasing

Lunges
22.5kg DBs 3 x 10
Bloody brutal. Technically its a PB but I used to do walking lunges which is a whole different ball game
Glute and hamstring pain from these is crazy

Cable rows
level 2 1 x 5
level 11 1 x 5
level 13 2 x 8 PB
1 x 10 PB
DIdn't allow for any lower back movement so only a true upper back exercise

Dips - why oh why
BW 1 x 5
+ 25kg 1 x 5
+ 10kg 2 x 5

Thank god that is over!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Angry cucumber
This new routine will need altered.. it's damn brutal... made worse by a headache I couldn't shift.. it only came on whilst I was in the gym

Someone had messed up the leg extension machine badly, I had no idea how to reconfigure it as it was so messed up

Leg press
195kg 2 x 15

Bench
20kg 1 x 5
60kg 1 x 5
70kg 2 x 5
80kg 1 x 3
85kg 1 x 1
90kg 3 x 3 PB Would have had maybe 4-3-3 but my spotter was very grab happy so left it at that.
Would normally bench with no spotter but due to lack of plates I couldn't lift the bench high enough with the 15kg plates I was using so at full lockout I could only just drag the bar out.. made reracking difficult. Hence the spotter
80kg 1 x 3

Hamstring curls
62.5 2 x 5 PB
1 x 7 PB

Pull ups
3 x 5
Really felt the lats after benching. Felt good. Bicep pump wasn't so good after these for the rest of the session

DB OHP
10kg DBs 1 x 5
17.5kg DBs 1 x 5
25kg DBs 1 x 8
2 x 6
Horrific having benched... but needs to be done to get my OHP increasing

Lunges
22.5kg DBs 3 x 10
Bloody brutal. Technically its a PB but I used to do walking lunges which is a whole different ball game
Glute and hamstring pain from these is crazy

Cable rows
level 2 1 x 5
level 11 1 x 5
level 13 2 x 8 PB
1 x 10 PB
DIdn't allow for any lower back movement so only a true upper back exercise

Dips - why oh why
BW 1 x 5
+ 25kg 1 x 5
+ 10kg 2 x 5

Thank god that is over!

Yes!! Feel the volume!
Original post by In One Ear
Yes!! Feel the volume!

My nervous system was utterly destroyed... feels good :biggrin:
I think I've pulled a muscle on medial caudal border of my scapula.

Do you know how I know you're a vet?

65kg 1 x 4 PB
75kg 3 x 5 PB
1 x 3
****ing get in, massive PB. Love the movement, it doesn't hurt either of the injuries. ****ing beautiful. The looks on the bros faces who couldn't do them with the 20kg was priceless

Yeah brah. Sick PBs. You're still making great progress overall - sorry to hear about your injury! Doesn't seem to be stopping you. :wink:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Do you know how I know you're a vet?

:wink:

Because your vocabulary isn't used for 99.9999999999% of species on earth. Your vocab sucks :wink: What do you call more towards the bottom?

Also da*** is going on with the hand positioning of skeletons, your lateral for arms/ hands is our medial.

Why? Why you do this?

Yeah brah. Sick PBs. You're still making great progress overall - sorry to hear about your injury! Doesn't seem to be stopping you. :wink:

Yeh had it for years, been lifting through the pain since I restarted lifting.. had enough tbh. Just going to make sure I'm sort of muscular balanced for when I'm fixed... then I'm chasing everybody.

Before I'm back, I want you to be well ahead of my PB Squat and DL! Thats 120kg squat and 135 kg DL. You're going to get there and more brah!
:wink:

Because your vocabulary isn't used for 99.9999999999% of species on earth. Your vocab sucks :wink: What do you call more towards the bottom?

Also da*** is going on with the hand positioning of skeletons, your lateral for arms/ hands is our medial.

Why? Why you do this?

Well I'm dealing with a bipedal creature so "more towards the bottom" is very easy for me, you know, with our spines perpendicular to the floor and all. :wink:
It's just inferior. The only time I need to worry about rostral/caudal is when thinking about the CNS, since it takes a 90 degree turn when it enters the skull.

Hominids upper limbs have evolved such that they've rotated on their axis (allows for more efficient use for grabbing things) with respect to their tetrapedal ancestors. So the anatomical position for humans has the palm up - compared to the default "palm down" of tetrapods. tfw evolutionary biology.

Yeh had it for years, been lifting through the pain since I restarted lifting.. had enough tbh. Just going to make sure I'm sort of muscular balanced for when I'm fixed... then I'm chasing everybody.

Before I'm back, I want you to be well ahead of my PB Squat and DL! Thats 120kg squat and 135 kg DL. You're going to get there and more brah!

Really wish you the best of luck getting it sorted.

LOL. In my dreams. Or unless you're taking a looong break (plsno)
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Well I'm dealing with a bipedal creature so "more towards the bottom" is very easy for me, you know, with our spines perpendicular to the floor and all. :wink:
It's just inferior. The only time I need to worry about rostral/caudal is when thinking about the CNS, since it takes a 90 degree turn when it enters the skull.

We use inferior and superior rarely, but thinking about rotating us onto all 4 limbs, we'd use it in the same way inferior meaning more away from a structure. Cranial and caudal are used for positioning towards or away from the head

Hominids upper limbs have evolved such that they've rotated on their axis (allows for more efficient use for grabbing things) with respect to their tetrapedal ancestors. So the anatomical position for humans has the palm up - compared to the default "palm down" of tetrapods. tfw evolutionary biology.

Interesting, still think it wouldn't have killed medicine to follow veterinary with a palms down approach:tongue:

Inb4 proof that vet med started doing palms down after medicine :tongue:

Really wish you the best of luck getting it sorted.

LOL. In my dreams. Or unless you're taking a looong break (plsno)

Could be 6 months - a year maybe more, maybe less. You should be a easily pastnearing me in 6 months time ish. I want Hype the massive stallion!

Todays burn off 11 pancakes

Facepulls
12.5kg DBs 3 x 10

Rear delt cable rows/ pulls/ idk
level 1 3 x 10
level 2 3 x 10

Beardbrah cable lateral raises
level 2 2 x 10
level 2.5 1 x 10

Pavlov press
level 4 1 x 10
level 3 2 x 10

Then a quick much around of bicep curls and I learnt I can do precisely 1 L sit chin up :lol:
We use inferior and superior rarely, but thinking about rotating us onto all 4 limbs, we'd use it in the same way inferior meaning more away from a structure. Cranial and caudal are used for positioning towards or away from the head

Inferior and superior are used all the time in human anatomy. It literally just means "down" and "up" for us. Rostral/caudal for us is used for the same thing, but in CNS anatomy, its used to mean toward/away from the frontal lobes. Since, again, hominids being weird, our heads have rotated 90 degrees on our necks. :tongue:

Interesting, still think it wouldn't have killed medicine to follow veterinary with a palms down approach:tongue:

Inb4 proof that vet med started doing palms down after medicine :tongue:

Makes sense to me just because that's when our radius and ulna aren't crossed over!

Could be 6 months - a year maybe more, maybe less. You should be a easily pastnearing me in 6 months time ish. I want Hype the massive stallion!

Wow, can't believe its that long. :frown: I promise I will be the mightiest T-rex that TSR has ever seen upon your return.
OHP
20kg 1 x 5
40kg 1 x 5
45kg 1 x 3
50kg 1 x 1
52.5kg 1 x 4
1 x 3
1 x 2
1 x 5 :lol: where did this come from PB

Chin ups
BW 1 x 5
+10kg 1 x 3 PB by one rep :wink:
2 x 2
+5kg 1 x 3

Leg extension
95lbs 3 x 10

DB incline bench
32.5kg DBs 1 x 5 PB
2 x 3 heavy

Cable row pronated straight bar
level 12.5 1 x 6
1 x 5
level 12 1 x 5

Leg press
195kg 3 x 15

Preacher curl
10kg DB 2 x 10
I hate these

Curl drop set 10kg -> 5kg
(edited 10 years ago)
You sure someone didn't just make off with the 1.25kg plates and you didn't realise? :tongue:
You sure someone didn't just make off with the 1.25kg plates and you didn't realise? :tongue:

Funny you say that, I checked :tongue: Rested a bit more I think before that set

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tired, cba to go to the gym. Went and kicked arse as per usual :wink:

Was tempted to squat against doctors orders due to my back feeling better, did some with the bar but thought better of it

Leg extensions
50lbs 1 x 5
70lbs 1 x 5
105lbs 3 x 10 PB lightweight

Bench
20kg 1 x 5
40kg 1 x 5
60kg 1 x 5
80kg 1 x 3 Felt as heavy as hell
85kg 1 x 1 As heavy as hell
Was worried
90kg 2 x 5 Last reps were grindy as grindy
1 x 4 Failed 5th, had to do the tip of shame. If I had a spotter I would have got it, but I have to pretty much tricep press the bar at full lockout by myself... takes a lot out of my tris before I've even started.. 2.5kg will be added next time :smile:

Tbars - testing how it feels. All weight not including bar
20kg 1 x 5
45kg 1 x 5
55kg 1 x 5
70kg 1 x 2
80kg 1 x 2 lol too heavy
65kg 1 x 8
67.5kg 1 x 6
70kg 1 x 5 Not as heavy as I did when I got my PB, but I haven't done anything heavy for my upper back in a while. Will judge how I do these, depending on pain levels later/ tomorrow

DB OHP
10kg 1 x 10
20kg 1 x 5
25kg 3 x 7

Pull ups
1 x 6 =PB lol
2 x 5

Lunges
25kg DBs 3 x 7 PB Glute pain level - insane

Dips
BW 1 x 10
+25kg 1 x 5
Shoulder was pinching so did a set of iron cross instead

Curlz drop set
17.5kg/ 15kg/12.5kg DBs 4/5/5
lol

Pavlov press
level 4 3 x 8

Curlz
10kg DBs1 x 13
good work mate, your bench has come along so well for the short time you've done barbell properly.
Original post by AreebWithaHat
good work mate, your bench has come along so well for the short time you've done barbell properly.

Yeah, it sucks with my back, I've got my diet sorted and my technique sorted on the compounds. It takes a while to get it right, however this back thing has just reset me as I'll have to sort it out again if/ when it gets fixed. My squat and DL were rocketing up :frown:

My bench is just unreal, it just doesn't stop increasing... :tongue:

Pics incoming this eve
Agree with Areeb, nice bench! Shot past me now...

Today I could barely get 7 reps@80kg -.-

Cheers!

Probs a bad day for you tbf

Pics!

Arty t bar shot :tongue:

Spoiler

Untensed post gym selfie

Spoiler

Tensed post gym selfie

Spoiler

you have some good mass mate, very thick and wide. what's your diet like currently?

same i have a **** bench, maybe have 80x5 touch and go.
Original post by AreebWithaHat
you have some good mass mate, very thick and wide. what's your diet like currently?

About 3000 calories, had to taper it back a bit as I can no longer cycle or do as much running as I was

Hit my macros, probs go a bit OTT with fat but meh I'll live, I need the full fat milk to get me through the day! I have 500mls of it a day when I have it in, I usually blend a scoop of whey 50-100g of oats, ice cream, a banana or 2 together with the milk to make sure I've eaten enough.

Didn't eat enough yesterday, got DOMS everywhere

Quick Reply

Latest