The Student Room Group

Spliced and diced - perhaps one day, a little shredded!

Scroll to see replies

Not been eating enough, I'm losing weight rather quickly to say the least... I have the full outline of 4 abs when completely fasted which is something like a 2-3%bf loss...

Anyways, very tired today sleep has been abysmal over the weekend

Pullups
1 x 12 PB lolz

Bench
20kg 1 x 5
40kg 1 x 5
60kg 1 x 5
80kg 1 x 5
90kg 1 x 2 Wrist was damn painful doing this
95kg 1 x 5
1 x 4 **** **** **** **** completely misgrooved 5th rep, hand slipped slightly
1 x 5
Technically a PB as I was lifting it out by myself this time, other than that horrific last rep it was going well
Might drop to 92.5kg and do 5x5

Pendlay rows - the return cause I can
60kg 1 x 5
70kg 1 x 5
Holy god these were hard, not helped by bicep and forearm pump from benching

Barbell rows
60kg 2 x 5
70kg 1 x 5
Never done these before, I like them more than pendlays and I don't at the same time.. easier to get the form right, but it feels like I'm being pulled apart

OHP - this was never going to go well, triceps were gone
20kg 1 x 5 This was 8/10 difficulty
40kg 1 x 5
50kg 1 x 2
60kg failed lol
55kg 3 x 3 10/10 difficulty, heaviest it has ever felt

Skullcrushers
+15kg 3 x 8 easy ish - triceps so tired by this point

Ab roller - didn't hurt my back as much as it used to
1 x 12
2 x 10 PB lol ab gains despite not training them often

Facepulls
level 4.5 3 x 10 PB

Neutral chin ups
2 x 3
Felt god awful

Out.

Yes PBs but they weren't exactly difficult... need to eat more but sleep is priority

Seeing spinal surgeon tomorrow, hopefully he can tell me whats up!
Original post by In One Ear
In the sense that its not much food? Tbh chewing all that spinach makes it feel like a lot even when it has very little calories.

Obviously I'm going to have some more substantial meals later :tongue:.

Yeah going mildly hypoglycaemic sucks! Think that happened to me on Friday as my vision went a bit blurry after some heavy sets and I started shaking a bit towards the end of the session. Its fine if I have a modest meal beforehand but I definitely don't like fasted exercise! :tongue:

man up

eat man food
Back appointment was 10 minutes long.
I can exercise as long as it doesn't hurt, been booked in for an MRI.

So as I was lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
15 mins fasted incline walking

Neutral chins
1 x 10
2 x 7

Weighed myself when I went in, 84.3kg so somewhere around 82.5-83 I imagine if I had no clothes on and hadn't drunken any water.

Anyways, gym later
Original post by Angry cucumber

I can exercise as long as it doesn't hurt, been booked in for an MRI.

So as I was lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

standard :tongue:
Time to be jelly of my pressing gainz guys

Triceps were fried from yesterday, but the OHP was calling

OHP
20kg 1 x 5
40kg 1 x 5
50kg 1 x 3
55kg 1 x 2
60kg 5 x 3 PB Strict for all bar one or two reps, some real grinders, but **** yeah, triceps were the limiting factor.

Neutral chin ups
+10kg 2 x 5
+12.5kg 2 x 3
1 x 2 PB

Flys - been reading Silent Ninjas blog, I'm going to trial these
12.5kg DBs 3 x 10

Shrugs
40kg DBs 1 x 10
2 x 15 Hard on hands, might be a PB, I don't know

Dips
+15kg 3 x 8 Hard
A 3 x 8 PB but I won't count it :tongue:

Triceps are destroyed

Tried to do some cable curlz and normal curlz but far too cba and wrists a bit sore.Did manage to curl the 20kg DBs for a double though. I ain't counting that as a personal best :tongue:

Anyways, moral of the story... 2 smallish jacket potatoes, a tin of beans, 2 poached eggs and 3 bits of bacon as a refeed meal is ideal :biggrin:
Going to do a programme of some kind rather than having ****arounditis like I do atm

Will insert leg stuff when knee is better

A - Quad exercise tbc
Bench alternating 3x5 with 5x5 as needed
Neutral chins Triples and 5s
Some ab stuff
Rows 3x5 and 5x5
OHP or lateral raises
DB lunge
Curlz

B - Quad exercise
OHP Triples and the occasional sets of 5
Pullups triples and 5s
Dips 3 x 8 and 3 x 5
Abs
Cable pushdowns
Curlz

Deadlift will replace DB lunge and possibly quad stuff every friday or saturday
(edited 9 years ago)
Today 15 mins incline walk + 3 min run at the end, knee isn't too happy

Pullups
1 x 6
2 x 5

Dips
1 x 5
1 x 7
1 x 10

Original post by BCcfc92
x

You seem to know a fair bit about rehab... any tips for knee rehab? Mines been playing up
Original post by AreebWithaHat
solid session. i cant outbench silent ninja but it looks like you took my mantle

I won't be catching up any time soon. Cucumber be making all kindz gains lately and he's even benched again since that post. I'm gonna bench tonight. 1 week of being a lazy ass

Sent from my HTC One
Today 15 mins incline walk + 3 min run at the end, knee isn't too happy

Pullups
1 x 6
2 x 5

Dips
1 x 5
1 x 7
1 x 10

You seem to know a fair bit about rehab... any tips for knee rehab? Mines been playing up

How much do you weigh at the moment? Running lots if you are overweight, or not for that matter, can really stress your knees, particularly the patellar tendons.

Running lots while lifting lower body 2-3 days a week is more stressful, but doable.

Your programming is a little off IMO. I would stick to 4 compounds per workout, then go into isolation... one quad dominant, one hip dominant, one push and one pull. Then you can hit arms, core, some lateral raises, calves etc.

In relation to rehab - it is such a broad area. You will need to learn a lot about mobility and address your overall posture. One thing you can do immediately is address the balance of quad to hip dominant exercises. For every quad exercise you do, do at least one hip dominant exercise. Also, DB lunges are slightly more stressful on the knee so you could swap them for reverse lunges, step ups or Bulgarian split squats.

For hamstring/glutes, there are two functions - hip extension and knee flexion while hips are extended.

Add and/or rotate the the following exercises for the hip extension pattern - Romanian deadlifts or stiff legged deadlifts (I prefer the latter with good form as people use momentum and rush RDLs), reverse hypers, barbell or banded good mornings, hip thrusts and for knee flexion - sliding leg curls (with stability ball if no other equipment available) or glute-ham raises (natural, if necessary, using lat pulldown machine of a barbell holding your legs and pads for knees). 2 hip extension exercises, 1 knee flexion and 2 quad dominant exercises a week would be cool.

So if you train lower body twice a week - one day you can do DB Bulgarian split squats 4x6, RDLs 3x8 and single leg hip thrusts 3x12 (which work your abductors/glute medius too, which is important - just like lateral lunges) or walking lunges 3x12 if you want to go more quad dominant. The other day - conventional deadlifts 3x5, barbell reverse lunges 4x8, sliding leg curls or single leg hip thrusts 3x12

Also, a mobility warm up is important for at least 10 mins every workout. Stretch what is tight - which for most of us, will probably be hip flexors, calfs, adductors, lower back, pecs, lats, traps. Then add some general movement drills and activate your glutes (clams, side lying abductions, fire hydrants and quadruped hip extension). If you have any hip pain, stretching the **** out of your hip flexors daily and adding in clams and lateral lunges a few times a week will work wonders. Knees a little more complicated and usually hurt due to overuse, acute injuries or postural imbalances elsewhere (muscular quad to hamstring, hip alignment and tight calves, coupled with kyphosis or rounding in the upper body). Usually, rest will be the best option for something general. Running, jumping all the time can lead to overuse problems.

How's it all going anyway?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BCcfc92
How much do you weigh at the moment? Running lots if you are overweight, or not for that matter, can really stress your knees, particularly the patellar tendons.

Running lots while lifting lower body 2-3 days a week is more stressful, but doable.

Your programming is a little off IMO. I would stick to 4 compounds per workout, then go into isolation... one quad dominant, one hip dominant, one push and one pull. Then you can hit arms, core, some lateral raises, calves etc.

In relation to rehab - it is such a broad area. You will need to learn a lot about mobility and address your overall posture. One thing you can do immediately is address the balance of quad to hip dominant/unilateral exercises. For every quad exercise you do, do a hip dominant exercise. Also, DB lunges are slightly more stressful on the knee so you could swap them for reverse lunges, step ups or Bulgarian split squats. For hamstring/glutes, add for the hip extension pattern - Romanian deadlifts with good form, reverse hypers, barbell or banded good mornings, hip thrusts and for knee flexion - sliding leg curls (with stability ball if no other equipment available) or glute-ham raises (natural, if necessary, using lat pulldown machine of a barbell holding your legs and pads for knees).

Also, a mobility warm up is important for at least 10 mins every workout. Stretch what is tight - which for you, will probably be hip flexors, calfs, adductors, lower back, pecs, lats, traps. Then add some mobility drills and activate your glutes (clams, side lying abductions, fire hydrants and quadruped hip extension). If you have any hip pain, stretching the **** out of your hip flexors daily and adding in clams and lateral lunges a few times a week will work wonders. Knees a little more complicated and usually hurt due to overuse, acute injuries or postural imbalances elsewhere (muscular quad to hamstring, hip alignment and tight calves, coupled with kyphosis or rounding in the upper body).

How's it all going anyway?

I actually have a suspected disc problem in my back hence the way I'm programming atm, doing anything with my lower back has the potential to be painful, so I'm careful and only do lower back work once, maybe twice a week with time. However spinal compression, sitting a barbell on my back is ridiculously painful the next day, so I don't do any of it. Might give romanian deadlifts or SLDL a try, was watching a vid on them earlier. I'm 83ish kilos

Knee pain is related to a leg extension machine from a month or so ago, it's not excessively sore, it just swells up when I use it. I'm no stranger to running either, ran a marathon in September :tongue:

I was doing yoga for lower body flexibility but again some stretches are bloody agony due to my back. Will take your advice and do more flexibility work before working out from now on :smile: Will try reverse lunges or step ups next time I'm in the gym. I've been playing the rest it and hopefully it will get better, but tbh it just won't go the whole hog and get fixed.

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I actually have a suspected disc problem in my back hence the way I'm programming atm, doing anything with my lower back has the potential to be painful, so I'm careful and only do lower back work once, maybe twice a week with time. However spinal compression, sitting a barbell on my back is ridiculously painful the next day, so I don't do any of it. Might give romanian deadlifts or SLDL a try, was watching a vid on them earlier. I'm 83ish kilos

Knee pain is related to a leg extension machine from a month or so ago, it's not excessively sore, it just swells up when I use it. I'm no stranger to running either, ran a marathon in September :tongue:

I was doing yoga for lower body flexibility but again some stretches are bloody agony due to my back. Will take your advice and do more flexibility work before working out from now on :smile: Will try reverse lunges or step ups next time I'm in the gym. I've been playing the rest it and hopefully it will get better, but tbh it just won't go the whole hog and get fixed.

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it :smile:

This information is useful! Given the problem with your disk, I wouldn't touch RDLs, good mornings or conventional deadlifts - possibly trap bar, but you don't need them. Try hip thrusts, sliding leg curls and get on some reverse hypers (again, look up improvisations if your gym doesn't have a machine) - that is enough for your posterior chain. Also, you could try slideboard reverse lunges (look up, and you can use other stuff instead of the slideboard).

One thing that was especially emphasised after my ACL surgery was never to use a leg extension machine. Machines generally aren't as good from a physical point of view (though they build muscle!), but leg extensions place lots of stress on the knee.

You're obviously not overweight, but long distance running will have contributed to your knee issue... so just monitor that. Make sure your knee is tracking well too. Add terminal knee extensions to your warm up if you can get hold of a band and really get your VMO working (teardrop muscle) - single leg exercises work them really well (especially split squats and step ups) so it's a win-win. Single leg squats are another option.

If you are a keen runner, try not to run the day before or on the same day as your lower body sessions if you can help it... if it means you just do one hard lower body day with say, bulgarian split squats, reverse hypers, sliding leg curls and walking lunges then that is ample and will leave you able to run 3-4 times a week too.

Also, the main function of your anterior core is to protect your lower back. It won't hurt to do ab roll out variations, dragon flags and other anti-extension core exercises to help you. It will also get those abs bursting out.

Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BCcfc92
This information is useful! Given the problem with your disk, I wouldn't touch RDLs, good mornings or conventional deadlifts - possibly trap bar, but you don't need them. Try hip thrusts, sliding leg curls and get on some reverse hypers (again, look up improvisations if your gym doesn't have a machine) - that is enough for your posterior chain. Also, you could try slideboard reverse lunges (look up, and you can use other stuff instead of the slideboard).

Deadlifts are my guilty pleasure, I do them purely as I love them and it doesn't hurt too much the next day. I will try hip thrusts and sliding leg curls, don't know how I'd be able to do reverse hypers in my gym lol

One thing that was especially emphasised after my ACL surgery was never to use a leg extension machine. Machines generally aren't as good from a physical point of view (though they build muscle!), but leg extensions place lots of stress on the knee.

I'll never use that blasted thing ever again!

You're obviously not overweight, but long distance running will have contributed to your knee issue... so just monitor that. Make sure your knee is tracking well too. Add terminal knee extensions to your warm up if you can get hold of a band and really get your VMO working (teardrop muscle) - single leg exercises work them really well (especially split squats and step ups) so it's a win-win. Single leg squats are another option.

Having now researched it, what I call a DB lunge is a split squat :tongue: Will add them in then.

If you are a keen runner, try not to run the day before or on the same day as your lower body sessions if you can help it... if it means you just do one hard lower body day with say, bulgarian split squats, reverse hypers, sliding leg curls and walking lunges then that is ample and will leave you able to run 3-4 times a week too.

Also, the main function of your anterior core is to protect your lower back. It won't hurt to do ab roll out variations, dragon flags and other anti-extension core exercises to help you. It will also get those abs bursting out.

Hope that helps :smile:

I'm trying to find ways I can work my core without murdering my back, the ab rollout thing is alright about once a week, so I'm sticking with pavlov press atm and then I'll find something else aswell. Things like planks kill my back through continuous loading of my lumbar spine.

Thank you very much for your help :smile:
Interesting what you guys were saying about pressing itt the other day. Tried false grip on some of my 5x5 presses today and it did feel stronger, googled it and came up with a rippetoe article though. He was saying a thumbs around grip is better because it allows you to squeeze the bar for forearm tightness which helps off the shoulders. Tried it and sure enough it seemed to help too.. thing I'll have to do some more experimenting before coming to a conclusion :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Implication
Interesting what you guys were saying about pressing itt the other day. Tried false grip on some of my 5x5 presses today and it did feel stronger, googled it and came up with a rippetoe article though. He was saying a thumbs around grip is better because it allows you to squeeze the bar for forearm tightness which helps off the shoulders. Tried it and sure enough it seemed to help too.. thing I'll have to do some more experimenting before coming to a conclusion :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Theory behind false grip is more natural wrist position, tbh I find it a lot less painful on my wrist than with thumb even if I try to snap the bar. With thumbless I find you can still get an adequate tightness tbh :smile:

Up to you, seems to be personal preference
Deadlifts are my guilty pleasure, I do them purely as I love them and it doesn't hurt too much the next day. I will try hip thrusts and sliding leg curls, don't know how I'd be able to do reverse hypers in my gym lol

I'll never use that blasted thing ever again!

Having now researched it, what I call a DB lunge is a split squat :tongue: Will add them in then.

I'm trying to find ways I can work my core without murdering my back, the ab rollout thing is alright about once a week, so I'm sticking with pavlov press atm and then I'll find something else aswell. Things like planks kill my back through continuous loading of my lumbar spine.

Thank you very much for your help :smile:

No probs. And Paloff presses are great too.
Today I played cricket as my campus were short of players for their first ever game lolz

We bowled alright for a collection of players who havent okay for people who havent played since school,

3 overs 1 wicket for 11 if you're interested
Not bad tbh :biggrin: Was very close to taking a few others but the ball passed the stumps agonisingly close

Knee didn't enjoy the full length dive to stop a boundary, all in all though.. Success :smile:
Back is alright after some foam rolling

We won convincingly in the end :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This morning weighed in at 85kg completely fasted... which was surprising considering I was lighter despite having chugged a fair bit of water

Anyways this morning - fasted cardio
6 min walk
2 min run
2 min walk
2 min run
2 min walk
3 min run
1 min walk
3 min very fast run

Knee held up admirably, still a bit sore on my dorsolateral edge of my knee, but getting there.
RIP Cucumber, the volume was too damn high

Bench
20kg 1 x 5
40kg 1 x 5
60kg 1 x 5
80kg 1 x 5
90kg 1 x 3
100kg 1 x 3 PB and easy
82.5kg 1 x 7 Rep record
92.5kg 1 x 5
2 x 3 Being unspotted for all of this, I didn't push it too hard

2 plate reps club

Pullups
BW 1 x 5 PB
+10kg 1 x 5
2 x 3

Single leg curl
5kg 3 x 8 Jesus christ the burn

Deadlifts
70kg 1 x 5 Felt heavy...
110kg 1 x 5 Felt ungodly heavy
120kg 1 x 1
130kg 1 x 5 YES Coming up to where I was before, last rep was a hell of a grind but got it
142.5kg 1 x f Damn went for the PB, didn't budge hardly surprising :tongue:

Bulgarian DB split squat
15kg DBs 2 x 5
The movement is horrendous to get into, doesn't feel safe.

DB Split squat
15kg DBs 1 x 5 Will do these from now on

Hammer curlz
17.5kg DBs 3 x 7

Ab twist thing
level 4 3 x 10

Vision was starting to go blurry which was concerning... hence I went home. Knee on split squats felt a bit tight but alright.
RIP Cucumber, the volume was too damn high

Bench
20kg 1 x 5
40kg 1 x 5
60kg 1 x 5
80kg 1 x 5
90kg 1 x 3
100kg 1 x 3 PB and easy
82.5kg 1 x 7 Rep record
92.5kg 1 x 5
2 x 3 Being unspotted for all of this, I didn't push it too hard

2 plate reps club

Pullups
BW 1 x 5 PB
+10kg 1 x 5
2 x 3

Single leg curl
5kg 3 x 8 Jesus christ the burn

Deadlifts
70kg 1 x 5 Felt heavy...
110kg 1 x 5 Felt ungodly heavy
120kg 1 x 1
130kg 1 x 5 YES Coming up to where I was before, last rep was a hell of a grind but got it
142.5kg 1 x f Damn went for the PB, didn't budge hardly surprising :tongue:

Bulgarian DB split squat
15kg DBs 2 x 5
The movement is horrendous to get into, doesn't feel safe.

DB Split squat
15kg DBs 1 x 5 Will do these from now on

Hammer curlz
17.5kg DBs 3 x 7

Ab twist thing
level 4 3 x 10

Vision was starting to go blurry which was concerning... hence I went home. Knee on split squats felt a bit tight but alright.

I find single leg split squats feel pretty nice, just got to be good at keeping your balance. Key is to ensure you're going down not forwards.

Quick Reply

Latest