.raiden.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Just wanted to make sure on my method for the first question, because the force F is going across is it 3.4sin50? Because its 25 degrees more. And the normal reaction is 3.4cos25?

2nd question I realise that a line can be drawn across and down to make an x and y axis and resolve, but the question asks to draw to scale I don't understand how long to draw.

Any help would be appreciated
Attached files
Pride
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by raiden95)
Just wanted to make sure on my method for the first question, because the force F is going across is it 3.4sin50? Because its 25 degrees more. And the normal reaction is 3.4cos25?

2nd question I realise that a line can be drawn across and down to make an x and y axis and resolve, but the question asks to draw to scale I don't understand how long to draw.

Any help would be appreciated
umm. When I look at the question, I'm a little confused as to why they ask for the normal reaction first. I would have thought you'd need the horizonal force first. Unless I'm getting mixed up with this stuff...

I thought to get horizonal force, F you do 3.4sin25 divided by cos25, to get 1.59? Then normal reaction is 3.4cos25 - 1.59sin25?
.raiden.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pride)
umm. When I look at the question, I'm a little confused as to why they ask for the normal reaction first. I would have thought you'd need the horizonal force first. Unless I'm getting mixed up with this stuff...

I thought to get horizonal force, F you do 3.4sin25 divided by cos25, to get 1.59? Then normal reaction is 3.4cos25 - 1.59sin25?
Why is horizontal, 3.4sin25 divided by cos25, and I thought normal is the same as the force downwards as its not moving. But i think I'm wrong because the force is horizontal and not horizontal to the plane

EDIT: I have not yet been taught the method you say, maybe there's more than one way of doing the question?
Pride
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why is horizontal, 3.4sin25 divided by cos25, and I thought normal is the same as the force downwards as its not moving. But i think I'm wrong because the force is horizontal and not horizontal to the plane

EDIT: I have not yet been taught the method you say, maybe there's more than one way of doing the question?
I did that because it says the truck isn't moving, meaning the component of the horizontal force parallel to the slope is equal to the component of the truck's weight parallel to the slope.
.raiden.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pride)
I did that because it says the truck isn't moving, meaning the component of the horizontal force parallel to the slope is equal to the component of the truck's weight parallel to the slope.
Im really lost, why there has to be division. I want to understand the maths behind it, can you explain ?
.raiden.
Rep:
?
Bump
Pride
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Im really lost, why there has to be division. I want to understand the maths behind it, can you explain ?

Ok

Assuming the ground is smooth, so there's no friction, the only forces are the weight of the truck, the horizontal force, and the normal reaction.

The question says the truck isn't moving. This means the components parallel to the slope must be equal. So you know that the horizontal force component is equal to the force going down the hill due to the weight, 3.4sin25. So you have the component of F. To find the force you divide it by cos25. It should make sense if you look at the diagram.

Then using F, you know that N must be equal to the components of the other forces perpendicular to the slope, because again the truck isn't moving. So N = 3.4cos25 + Fsin25
.raiden.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pride)

Ok

Assuming the ground is smooth, so there's no friction, the only forces are the weight of the truck, the horizontal force, and the normal reaction.

The question says the truck isn't moving. This means the components parallel to the slope must be equal. So you know that the horizontal force component is equal to the force going down the hill due to the weight, 3.4sin25. So you have the component of F. To find the force you divide it by cos25. It should make sense if you look at the diagram.

Then using H, you know that N must be equal to the components of the other forces perpendicular to the slope, because again the truck isn't moving. So N = 3.4cos25 + Fsin25
Can you check my working please
Attached files
Pride
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can you check my working please
I think that looks good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (144)
60.25%
No I haven't decided yet (54)
22.59%
Yes but I might change my mind (41)
17.15%

Watched Threads