sweetchilli
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Before I started medicine, I was doing an MRes in Biomedical Science (Parasitology) with 'just' my thesis to submit. However, so far have not had time to write the rest of it due to medicine workload, young son, family commitments...

I'm currently doing my student selected component and maybe naively though I'd get some time during this to complete but not so as very, very busy doing lab work and have presentation and report both due in 2 weeks.

Thesis has to be submitted by April or failing that can take the PgDip (as passed all requirements for that) or I could ask for an extension (think I'd need to pay for that).

I self-funded and paid £3500 for the course and galls me somewhat not to get the damn thing plus I am interested in Infectious Disease as a possible specialty later so would be useful to have.

Questions:

1. Should I bust a gut and try and submit in time (also have to factor in time for supervisor to correct (he is notorious for taking ages - 1 guy waited 9 months for PhD corrections)?

2. Take the PgDip and forget the MRes and concentrate on passing 2nd year?

3. Ask/pay for extension to deadline and do in summer (assuming I don't mess up 2nd year exams.

4. Do you get anything for a PgDip in the Foundation application?

Sorry for the long post but this is a real dilemma for me and just wanted some of your valued opinions.

Thanks.
junior.doctor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm currently in a not dissimilar position of having done enough of my MSc that I can cash it in for a PGDip but I have 'just' the dissertation to go and am getting nowhere with it. Difference is I have already graduated. I'm going to try and pay for an extension because overall MSc seems much more valuable than PGDip and like you I'd feel a bit gutted having got this far through. Important to remember though that your medical degree comes first - sounds like it's going to be tough to get it done before April. I would try as much as possible to get an extension and work as hard as you can to pass your med school exams so that you can use time over summer for MRes. (Also remembering that you'll need some R&R time over the summer before next year of med school starts). If not, think carefully about whether you can finish it before April without jeopardising MBChB. I would only go for PGDip if there is truly no other way of getting it finished. Good luck!
m197
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The MRes counts for 4 points on the foundation programme applications, same as a first class BSc. Not entirely sure about the PgDip but I have a feeling it doesn't. Having said that, anything, be it BSc, MSc, PgCert, PgDip, courses, etc., is worth something when it comes to speciality training application so...

I vote option 3. Just because you have done most of it and it's a shame to not go all the way
sweetchilli
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by junior.doctor)
I'm currently in a not dissimilar position of having done enough of my MSc that I can cash it in for a PGDip but I have 'just' the dissertation to go and am getting nowhere with it. Difference is I have already graduated. I'm going to try and pay for an extension because overall MSc seems much more valuable than PGDip and like you I'd feel a bit gutted having got this far through. Important to remember though that your medical degree comes first - sounds like it's going to be tough to get it done before April. I would try as much as possible to get an extension and work as hard as you can to pass your med school exams so that you can use time over summer for MRes. (Also remembering that you'll need some R&R time over the summer before next year of med school starts). If not, think carefully about whether you can finish it before April without jeopardising MBChB. I would only go for PGDip if there is truly no other way of getting it finished. Good luck!

(Original post by malaz_197)
The MRes counts for 4 points on the foundation programme applications, same as a first class BSc. Not entirely sure about the PgDip but I have a feeling it doesn't. Having said that, anything, be it BSc, MSc, PgCert, PgDip, courses, etc., is worth something when it comes to speciality training application so...

I vote option 3. Just because you have done most of it and it's a shame to not go all the way
Thanks very much for your replies. Very much appreciated.

I'm going to email the uni and ask about the extension and see how that goes. Need to forget April deadline and the stress of thinking about that and concentrate on getting to third year. Hopefully, they will grant the extension.

Good luck with your MSc too, junior.doctor.

Thanks again to you both.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (33)
25%
No (99)
75%

Watched Threads