We're so reserved!! Why us British are so boring compared to other cultures! Watch

Cwalley
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey! I'm a Britsih university student studying Spanish and Portuguese, and after studying all about other ''exotic'' and latin cultures (portuguese, brazilian, spanish, caribbean), I've come to the conclusion that us English are quite unsociable.
I have lots of exotic and interesting friends at university who are sooooo much more sociable than my English friends! It's completely normal for many cultures, for example Spanish people to greet each other with a kiss on the cheek, and generally be very interactive with their peers, however us ''Brits'' are happy to just not smile and stand their like a lemon with our hands in our pockets!
I recently noticed the big cultural difference after just coming back from an American cruise around the Caribbean. The whole trip, me and my family were showered with compliments about our appearance, asked if we were having a good day, told ''merry christmas'' about a million times, spoken to everytime we went in the elevators, engaged in conversations over the breakfast buffet, told life stories by extremely friendly Americans, chatted-up by brazilians, I spoke spanish (and portuguese) to countless guests, and generally had an amazing, sociable and refreshing time compared to England.

What do you guys think? I
Let me know you're views guys, I'd love to here what other cultures think about this
kassiopeia
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
why the self-loathing?every culture has its pros and cons.
FrogInABog
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
England probably seems boring because it's what you're used to. A lot of foreign people come over here and find our culture to be really interesting, so I think it's more to do with the fact that foreign cultures are a step away from what is normal for you. It's a bit depressing to be quite so self-flagellating though!
RollingDylan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You're just bored of the place, it's always greener on the other side.
But there are things I agree with you, coming from France, I am a good witness that I was always surprised when I'd see an old lady or anyone in the streets who didn't say ''Hello'' to me, and if I did say ''hello'', girls would laugh thinking I'd have a crush on them, and old ladies would run away.

But England is much more informal compared to France.
''You'' concerns everybody, there's no one really above you when you say ''you''. In France we have ''vous'' for persons we don't know so well, and ''tu'' for people we know well. The ''vous'' makes it really formal and awkward.
And also, in France, families can be much more stuck up than around here.
We compare ourselves a lot in France as to who's poor and who's rich.
But we are welcoming and will bake a cake for somebody who's moving in the area. Something I havn't seen of England yet.

But you should be happy about England, I think it is welcoming, and looks matter less than where I come from (meaning that if you don't wear Nike, you can get beaten up and laughed at)

England's a good place, it's a different culture which a lot of people appreciate, a Northern culture. Spain, Italy, France, Morocco are Mediteranean cultures where it's no surprise to give a kiss on the cheek to people. We are very family based too, family means a lot.
Cwalley
Rep:
?
Yeah I agree with you there! Me and my friend met some Spanish guys at uni and they though it was really weird that we didn;'t kiss them on the cheek, but it was strange for us to does this! We're just used to being quite reserved that's all
a.partridge
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
These cultures are a lot more exciting if you're a girl. They seem so fun because they want to have sex and arn't afraid to be upfront about it. It's a lot harder to get exited about these things as a guy. Every time I hear about girl friends going to places with this kind of culture they loved it because they feel really embraced by it... but you get a totally different perspective when people arn't trying to do you.
danny111
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Cwalley)
Hey! I'm a Britsih university student studying Spanish and Portuguese, and after studying all about other ''exotic'' and latin cultures (portuguese, brazilian, spanish, caribbean), I've come to the conclusion that us English are quite unsociable.
I have lots of exotic and interesting friends at university who are sooooo much more sociable than my English friends! It's completely normal for many cultures, for example Spanish people to greet each other with a kiss on the cheek, and generally be very interactive with their peers, however us ''Brits'' are happy to just not smile and stand their like a lemon with our hands in our pockets!
I recently noticed the big cultural difference after just coming back from an American cruise around the Caribbean. The whole trip, me and my family were showered with compliments about our appearance, asked if we were having a good day, told ''merry christmas'' about a million times, spoken to everytime we went in the elevators, engaged in conversations over the breakfast buffet, told life stories by extremely friendly Americans, chatted-up by brazilians, I spoke spanish (and portuguese) to countless guests, and generally had an amazing, sociable and refreshing time compared to England.

What do you guys think? I
Let me know you're views guys, I'd love to here what other cultures think about this
Tbh, sounds very much like a case of the grass is greener on the other side. You are just used to British culture and find it boring, while these other, new experiences impress you.
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I can understand what the OP means, I found it easier to make friends with randoms when I was travelling than I do here. I'd find that abroad you could strike up conversations with strangers in bars, clubs, other public places, people are more receptive. Over here people stick to their existing friendship groups a bit more, if you try to talk to a stranger here they can think you're a bit weird.

Having said that the grass isn't always greener. Men will be more respectful of women in the UK (hard as that might be to believe) than in some other cultures I've seen. In Latin America, the men pretty much expect licence to touch you where and how they want, if you are single.
Gallifreyan95
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'll be honest, I'm a pretty boring person. So I like the fact this is represented in my national ethos.

I've always thought the Spanish and Portuguese were just lazy hippies, but again, thats just as much an over the top stereotype as The British being boring!
katyness
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm Portuguese and trust me, I don't miss any of that kiss on the cheek kafafle. It's better to be a bit reserved. Although I miss being able to just compliment a stranger on the street and not being looked at funny.

I still do it anyway :sexface:
Lara5
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I know exactly what you mean! I'm originally from Brazil, but I've been living in the UK for the past 9 years or so. I find that latin people (ie. Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Brazilian, etc) are a lot more sociable.
I think the weather plays a big part in this! Have you ever noticed how people from Sweden, Finland, Russia (or anywhere that's cold tbh) seem to be a lot more serious and distant than people from warm countries? I mean, how can you be all smiley and stuff when you're cold all the time?
Cwalley
Rep:
?
Haha! That's a great analysis! Yeah it must totally be the weather
Saritta
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well i would like to have an answer for that too, I'm from Morocco and i just got to birmingham yesterday, I hate it already, i thought it would be a great experience, but we're only 3 people in masters degree (really ??? in Morocco if there's less than 7 people they cancel the course, because postgraduate studies are all about team work and staff like that) anyway it i hate the weather, the campus is so dirty, people are not friendly,... im dropping the course, i cant wait to go back to my lovely country
Tweek
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lara5)
I know exactly what you mean! I'm originally from Brazil, but I've been living in the UK for the past 9 years or so. I find that latin people (ie. Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Brazilian, etc) are a lot more sociable.
I think the weather plays a big part in this! Have you ever noticed how people from Sweden, Finland, Russia (or anywhere that's cold tbh) seem to be a lot more serious and distant than people from warm countries? I mean, how can you be all smiley and stuff when you're cold all the time?
I know Russians do seem that way, and I wouldn't know much about Finnish people, but the Swede's are genuinely some of the nicest people I have ever met. If you ever visit most people are actually really sociable there and they have a great sense of humour.
Hope I can change your opinion of them.
juggleman7777
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i like being in an inverted culture. the fact that these strangers come up to you and pester you with their life stories even though you just met them is baffling and absurd. the last thing i want when walking down the streets is to be pestered by randomers on the street about stupid small talk.
Nomu
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You've only known these 'exotic' people for a short duration so obviously you'll be gushing with excitement and heaping praises on them. Every country has its own distinct personality and that is to be expected since we can't expect everyone to be as interactive as the Spanish or reserved as the British.

And again, I think different countries have their own manners of interaction. Some are very interactive while others are more reserved. Personally I prefer British nationality because I'm more of a reserved and introvert person. Anyway it was good that you enjoyed learning about other cultures.
tengentoppa
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saritta)
Well i would like to have an answer for that too, I'm from Morocco and i just got to birmingham yesterday, I hate it already, i thought it would be a great experience, but we're only 3 people in masters degree (really ??? in Morocco if there's less than 7 people they cancel the course, because postgraduate studies are all about team work and staff like that) anyway it i hate the weather, the campus is so dirty, people are not friendly,... im dropping the course, i cant wait to go back to my lovely country
Birmingham is objectively a ****hole, but I don't think any of your issues are true all over Britain, except the weather.

I personally like that as a culture we are quite reserved. I don't think people are rude, except in the big cities but that's true of anywhere. Ask for directions in Paris and people will look at you like you're a piece of **** on the bottom of their shoe.

Anyway, most cultures have their pros and cons.
ailashes
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I find English people more insular when it comes to making friends. At my university in the UK I struggled to make friends because people I met were reluctant to meet up with people outside their friendship group. I'd meet people once, never hear from them again and be turned down if I tried to arrange anything! I'm currently on my year abroad and have found that people in Russia and France are much more willing to go out and do things with various people, not just the circle of normal drinking buddies.
liserichardson
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As mentioned above, it's only reserved if you compare it to the stereotypically outgoing cultures. I'm half-Finnish, and have lived just about half my life in both Finland and the UK (and a little in the US), and dear lord are the English SO much more open and friendly than the Finns. Honestly, spend some time in Finland and you'll be begging to be back in the UK just so that SOMEBODY will acknowledge your existence, be it a cashier saying good morning or somebody complaining about the weather to you in the bus queue. Here it's like you don't even exist.
Native To Europe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You sound very immature to me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.66%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.6%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.13%

Watched Threads