GPODT
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago

Regarding part a), why have they not included the work done against friction in the calculations? Surely some energy is 'lost' due to the work done against friction as the package slides down the rough plane?
ztibor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by GPODT)

Regarding part a), why have they not included the work done against friction in the calculations? Surely some energy is 'lost' due to the work done against friction as the package slides down the rough plane?
THe one of the main theorem of physics says that
changes in Energy = Work done
\Delta E= W
GPODT
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by ztibor)
THe one of the main theorem of physics says that
changes in Energy = Work done
\Delta E= W
I know that the change in energy = Work done. But the energy lost due to friction is also part of this ''change in energy'' no?
Killjoy-
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by GPODT)
I know that the change in energy = Work done. But the energy lost due to friction is also part of this ''change in energy'' no?
They have.
At S it has KE of 0.5m10^2 and GPE mgsin30
(If T is reference point of 0 GPE.)

Now at T KE is 0.5m9^2. Loss of GPE has not contributed to an increase in speed, rather more work than the value of GPE decrease has been done against friction.

So loss would be the difference in energies between points P and T. They have simply grouped the -9^2 into the KE equation when displaying the working.
ztibor
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by GPODT)
Yes it is part that change, increasing by acceleration and decreasing by friction, so the result of 2 works done is decreasing in velocity
\Delta E=\Delta E_m +\Delta E_p=W_{F_m}-W_{fric}+mg\Delta h=\frac{1}{2}m \Delta v^2+mg\Delta h
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (129)
64.82%
No I haven't decided yet (41)
20.6%
Yes but I might change my mind (29)
14.57%

Watched Threads