Watkinz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm currently in my first year of university, and living in halls sharing with 5 other people.

After a month off over christmas I was really excited to get back and throw some flat parties! However, one of my previous flatmates had dropped out of university and a new girl had moved in before I returned. Was quite excited to meet her and introduce her to the other flats, only, I've seen her once so far!

I was about to knock to introduce myself when an older woman came out of the room, in fact this was my flatmate's mum. Over the last two weeks I've seen and chatted to her mum quite a bit, she does all the cleaning, cooks meals and takes them back to the room. Whether this bears any relevance or not, she is a practicing muslim girl (from what I've been told), but I do not know to what extent as I haven't had the chance to talk to her. Now I feel really awkward, my flat was previously one of the 'party flats' but at the same time we respect our flatmates, because of this I feel bad for wanting to invite the other flats around but at the same time I signed up to live with first year students, not mothers!

Don't get me wrong, at first I didn't mind but am I a bad person for not wanting someone's mum living with us in halls? It might be easier if I could speak to the girl but her mum is always there and she never leaves her room. What should I do? Just put up with it?
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have a chat to the university's accommodation office. Her presence will mean that there are council tax implications (because her mum isn't a student) so the university will remove her mum from halls asap.

For all you know the girl might be quite grateful if the university was to remove her mum from halls - I know I would be!
Watkinz
Rep:
?
Her mum does seem really strict, I don't know if it's a cultural thing or not. When I first asked she said she was only staying for a week, I hate to go behind their backs though. I don't really want to cause any tension before we've even met properly.

Say I did report her, how long do you think they would they give her to leave? I'd feel awful if she had no where to go.. I guess I could ask her mum if she's got any flights booked.
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Watkinz)
Her mum does seem really strict, I don't know if it's a cultural thing or not. When I first asked she said she was only staying for a week, I hate to go behind their backs though. I don't really want to cause any tension before we've even met properly.

Say I did report her, how long do you think they would they give her to leave? I'd feel awful if she had no where to go.. I guess I could ask her mum if she's got any flights booked.
Is she British Asian or an international? If she's British, then I'm sure that there is a family home that her mum can return to very rapidly. If she's international, then the fact that she claimed to be staying for a week and has now been there a fortnight indicates that there are no flights booked home, and so she probably has no immediate plans to go home. Presumably she sees her primary duty in life as protecting her daughter from the kaffir.

They may give her some time to leave, but I'm sure there are some cheap hotels or B&Bs in your town where she could go, which would be much more appropriate. She won't be out on the streets.

Do you think you could get the daughter by herself to talk to her?
danny111
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What is going on?

Her daughter "left" uni, so her mum took her accommodation?

I don't even...
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by danny111)
What is going on?

I don't even...
The way I read it, a girl dropped out, so a new girl moved in, but the new girl has also brought her mum with her.
danny111
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
The way I read it, a girl dropped out, so a new girl moved in, but the new girl has also brought her mum with her.
Tbh, that is even worse. A student has her mum living with her in uni halls? Do they like share a bed or something?
Darth Stewie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm confused, is the mother actually living with her? As in she sleeps in her room? or does she just come around all the time?

If it's the former then it is very strange, ask your accommodation team if they know about it as it is possible the mother talked to them beforehand and they said it was ok and if not then they will be breaking the tenancy agreement by having two people living permanently in a one bedroom let.

If it is the latter then it might not be something you like but she is more than entitled to live in the room she rents the way she likes (within the confines of the law and tenancy agreement of course). I'm sure you can go to other peoples flats or go out to a club in order to party, as far as bad roommates go someone who rarely leaves their room is pretty low down on the list.
Watkinz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
Is she British Asian or an international? If she's British, then I'm sure that there is a family home that her mum can return to very rapidly. If she's international, then the fact that she claimed to be staying for a week and has now been there a fortnight indicates that there are no flights booked home, and so she probably has no immediate plans to go home. Presumably she sees her primary duty in life as protecting her daughter from the kaffir.

They may give her some time to leave, but I'm sure there are some cheap hotels or B&Bs in your town where she could go, which would be much more appropriate. She won't be out on the streets.

Do you think you could get the daughter by herself to talk to her?
International, two of my flatmates aren't really too fussed as they mostly keep to themselves unless there's some kind of major social event going on. However, I know that once the other two are back in a couple of weeks they will just want to party.

That doesn't really seem possible, they both stay in the room and only her mum comes out to make food then take it back in.
Watkinz
Rep:
?
What is going on?

I don't even...
No, what I meant was that my previous flatmate dropped out and moved out of halls. The girl who replaced her brought her mum with her.
Watkinz
Rep:
?
Basically they are both living in the same room together. I can't remember exactly what it said in the tenancy agreement though, I know double occupancy is not allowed. Compared to what I've heard from other accomodations, our halls seems quite lenient on having guests and don't get me wrong... I'm happy for people to bring guests as long as they know that the same applies.

What I am unsure of is the time period of when an overnight guest becomes another occupant? One week at a time does seem to ring a bell but I'm unsure.

I have been sticking to other flats and going out but I'd like to be able to bring people round to have a drink in my own flat! Feels too awkward though with her mum constantly there
danny111
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No, what I meant was that my previous flatmate dropped out and moved out of halls. The girl who replaced her brought her mum with her.
That is even worse.
Watkinz
Rep:
?
That is even worse.
Your telling me D:
danny111
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your telling me D:
I know I feel sorry for you!
WelshBluebird
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah I'm sure that is against the tenancy agreement.
So, as they are not allowed to be doing it anyway, I'd just invite people around.
Don't feel bad about it. And if they complain to you, just threaten to tell the accommodation people lol.
luuucyx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
legally someone can share your room for two weeks, halls of residence may have a different clause but either way it should be reported. tbh id have parties any way cos im a ****

also i guess its quite economical for them? hahaa bless
Watkinz
Rep:
?
Heh, okay then. Tbh I think I was just looking for someone to tell me to do it anyway, seems like a bit of an odd case though and I didn't really want to cause any offence incase it's some sort of cultural thing...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
61.88%
No I haven't decided yet (49)
21.97%
Yes but I might change my mind (36)
16.14%

Watched Threads