Question for those doing a subject like 'Study/Communication Skills' on Access to HE Watch

matt9210
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone,
I'm doing the Access to HE Diploma, and one of the subjects Im doing is Level 3 Study Skills. If this is too long to read, skip to the last paragraph :P

I've received an offer from a university, and one of their conditions is to gain a Distinction for the units 'Essay Writing and Study Skills'. To me, this made no sense, as Essay Writing is a unit part of Study Skills. Study Skills has 5 units worth 3 credits each.
So I've phoned the university and asked them about this, and they said they generalise this offer to all Access to HE students because most have the unit called 'Study Skills', not the subject. I read my unit titles to them, and they couldn't identify the equivalent unit.

So my question is, if you do a subject along the lines of Study/Communication skills, do you have a unit that sounds similar to this? If you do, what kind of things do you do in it? I'm hoping to be able to match what you do in that unit to one of mine. Thanks
KNLC
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We do study skills and have a unit within in it called essay writing... Maybe that's what they mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile
matt9210
Rep:
?
Thats what mine is like too, but when I rang them, they said lots of college courses have 'study skills' as a unit. But when I've Google it I can't find one course with study skills as the unit

Thanks for replying
jami74
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by matt9210)
Thats what mine is like too, but when I rang them, they said lots of college courses have 'study skills' as a unit. But when I've Google it I can't find one course with study skills as the unit

Thanks for replying
How many credits are your study skills units worth? Just aim for distinctions in all of them and then you'll be safe. What they'll be looking for in your results is that you got distinctions in your study skills units which must include Essay writing. Your other study skills units will probably be made up of units on IT skills, Maths etc
matt9210
Rep:
?
(Original post by jami74)
How many credits are your study skills units worth? Just aim for distinctions in all of them and then you'll be safe. What they'll be looking for in your results is that you got distinctions in your study skills units which must include Essay writing. Your other study skills units will probably be made up of units on IT skills, Maths etc
Each unit is worth 3 credits, and there are 5 units. They want the whole Essay Writing unit at Distinction. Other units are made up of Assignment Preparation, Reading and Thinking, Exam and Revision, Academic Progression. All worth 3 credits each, so its difficult to determine which they would classify as the 'study skills' unit, as on my course, they are all study skills. There aren't any Maths, English, IT, Science, etc. units in this, because they all come under their respective subjects.

I'm going to try and get something in writing from them, because I wouldn't feel comfortable picking a university as my firm/insurance when I'm not clear on what to aim for. While I'll try to aim for Distinctions in everything, that's not a guarantee. On my course we are given one chance on each unit, if I were to achieve a Merit, it would ruin my chances.

I just wondered if someone actually studied a unit called 'Study Skills', not a subject. Doesn't seem like anybody does after all xD
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (57)
67.06%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.18%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.76%

Watched Threads