The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wrangled
What's 'utter rubbish'?

That there has been a huge campaign that has been going on SINCE devolution to the other parts in 1997 thst has and is continued to be ignored by Westminster?

You're talking about Scotland. I'm talking about the campaign for an English Parliament and what has happened in England over the demands for fair political representation. It has been ignored time and again in Parliament, not just by pressure groups but by ministers who have dared to bring it up.

England is as much a historic nation as Scotland is and deserves nothing less than a Parliament of it's own, to manage English affairs for and on behalf of the people of England.

Peoples attitude towards this stinks. Scottish Parliament yes, Northern Ireland Assembly, yes, Welsh Assembly yes... English Parliament? Ohhhh no, can't have that!! That would be equality and we don't do that in the UK.

There's no political movement of any size for an English parliament. If anything moves should be made for regional assemblies. One of the main reasons for devolution was a sense that London is to distant. Those feelings are equally felt in the NE of England or the West Country. You say that England isn't represented. Gove is the Secretary of State for education and is responsible for English education. Jeremy Hunt is the secretary if state for Health. That's for NHS England. Most of this claim for n English parliament is made by people who don't understand how the system works. All devolved matters are covered in England by English politicians.

Another reason I'd like regional assemblies in England is that it shuts the SNP up. It's all too easy for them to feed off the belief that because we're small were disadvantaged. Regional assemblies overcome that. It stops this paranoid belief that nationalists like Maths Tutor, Tiger and Choo Choo have that Scotland has somehow been colonised by England.

I don't know why I'm advocating regional assemblies though as I think the current devolved system is overly expensive. However I believe in fairness. if one group of people have access to something then so should somebody else.

I actually like UKIPs idea. Sack MSPs and get MPs to do their job. Two weeks in Holyrood, two weeks in Westminster.
Reply 3741
Original post by MatureStudent36
There's no political movement of any size for an English parliament. If anything moves should be made for regional assemblies. One of the main reasons for devolution was a sense that London is to distant. Those feelings are equally felt in the NE of England or the West Country. You say that England isn't represented. Gove is the Secretary of State for education and is responsible for English education. Jeremy Hunt is the secretary if state for Health. That's for NHS England. Most of this claim for n English parliament is made by people who don't understand how the system works. All devolved matters are covered in England by English politicians.

Another reason I'd like regional assemblies in England is that it shuts the SNP up. It's all too easy for them to feed off the belief that because we're small were disadvantaged. Regional assemblies overcome that. It stops this paranoid belief that nationalists like Maths Tutor, Tiger and Choo Choo have that Scotland has somehow been colonised by England.

I don't know why I'm advocating regional assemblies though as I think the current devolved system is overly expensive. However I believe in fairness. if one group of people have access to something then so should somebody else.

I actually like UKIPs idea. Sack MSPs and get MPs to do their job. Two weeks in Holyrood, two weeks in Westminster.

Here again youre talking about distance. I ask you again; do you not consider Aberdeen to be a fair enough distance from Edinburgh as say Carlisle (your example) is to London? It is a completely stupid and weak argument and is just another excuse not to grant any political NATIONAL voice to England.

Regional assemblies are dead. England doesn't want these euro regions!! We want a Parliament of our own like you have in Scotland. Why would we expect anything less? To think we would and to offer anything less is a plain insult.

"Jeremy Hunt is secretary of state for Health"

I am more than aware of this.

Secretary of state for whom? England? No. The UK.

These are MPs who represent the UK. They have the interests of the UK at heart. Even the Scottish ministers in Westminster... They sit in the BRITISH Parliament. They are not put there for looking aftet England's needs. The UK Parliament is responsible for Governing the UK. Not England alone.

There is no "secretary of state" for England. Whats more there is no first minister for England. Where's he to?

England has no political voice to defend it's interests. No Parliament. No national assembly. England has no voice and i afraid "regional assemblies" are nothing more than a fob off with an agenda to eliminate English identity and abolish any nationhood that England retains.
If you are only concerned about embarrassing Alex Salmond (who is im favour of an English Parliament) with the implementation of assemblies you have a very weak argument indeed.

I say abolish the Scottish Parliament and break Scotland into regional assemblies. Set against one another so they can compete for EU and Westminster funding.

Moving on, the BBC have got a lot to answer for with their propaganda campaigns.. Setting the scene for their political agendas in collaboration with the Government.

Scotland, Scotland, Scotland, Scotland this Scotland that, Scotland's future, Scottish independence. We get it!! It's all about Scotland! Now when the hell do i as an Englishman get a say in the future of my country?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Maths Tutor
I am a 'proud Scot' - I am proud of Scotland being dependant on England.

I am a 'proud Irishman' - I am proud of Ireland being independent of the UK.

I am a 'proud Norwegian' - I am proud of Norway being independent of Sweden.

I am a 'proud Finn' - I am proud of Finland being independent of Sweden.

I am a 'proud Canadian' - I am proud of Canada being independent of the USA.

I am a 'proud Czech' - I am proud of the Czech republic being independent from Czechoslovakia.

I am a 'proud Slovak' - I am proud of Slovakia being independent from Czechoslovakia.

So what are those 'proud Scots' in 'No Scotland' MORE PROUD OF?

Being Scots or Scotland being dependant on England?

Original post by DavidSilvaMCFC
Why is pride necessary? What is the point in pride? Why should somebody be proud of something they didn't achieve?
I was born in England completely by chance.
I'm English simply because I fell out of a vagina in between some lines on a map.
I didn't have any choice. Why should I feel proud or guilty of being from a certain country? Someone should be proud and be judged on their own achievements and personality, not on the achievements and personality of others. Am I grateful to bre English/British? Yes. Am I proud? No.

"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" - Samuel Johnson

Can you please ask those 'proud', 'patriotic' Scots at 'Better Together' who are unable to defend the union without first declaring their Scottish pride and patriotism?

Let me know when you have the answer, but I won't be holding my breath.

Original post by DavidSilvaMCFC
Why don't you ask Tigers the same question?

Tigers takes pride in Scotland being an independent country and believes in pride through action not words.

It is the likes of the 'proud', 'patriotic' Scots at 'Better Together', who talk down Scotland at every opportunity and want Scotland to remain dependant on England, you should be asking my original question:

As for REAL pride, look at the Latvians:

http://wingsoverscotland.com/latvian-lessons/
I'm pretty sure the referendum will come out with a no vote. Scots are in my experience far too intelligent/canny to be won over by emotive, spite-ridden, Braveheartesque gung-ho alone, which so far is all the SNP appears capable of producing in terms of justification. I for one cannot wait to see Alex Salmond's smug face when the result is announced, his political career vapourised in an instant, and never to rear its flabby head again.

(Sorry, I know this doesn't add much to the debate, but I just wanted to have a bit of a rant. I'm English by the way but have spent a lot of time in Scotland and would be very sad to see it go independent.)
People like you really worry me. You worry me because comments like that lead me to believe that you may start doing silly things when you loose.

That nonsense yet again?

YOU will have the UK army and the BBC on YOUR side. What are YOU so worried about? Even mice are braver than the likes of YOURSELF.

Can YOU promise that YOU will not do any silly things in the event of a YES vote?
Here again youre talking about distance. I ask you again; do you not consider Aberdeen to be a fair enough distance from Edinburgh as say Carlisle (your example) is to London? It is a completely stupid and weak argument and is just another excuse not to grant any political NATIONAL voice to England.

Regional assemblies are dead. England doesn't want these euro regions!! We want a Parliament of our own like you have in Scotland. Why would we expect anything less? To think we would and to offer anything less is a plain insult.

"Jeremy Hunt is secretary of state for Health"

I am more than aware of this.

Secretary of state for whom? England? No. The UK.

These are MPs who represent the UK. They have the interests of the UK at heart. Even the Scottish ministers in Westminster... They sit in the BRITISH Parliament. They are not put there for looking aftet England's needs. The UK Parliament is responsible for Governing the UK. Not England alone.

There is no "secretary of state" for England. Whats more there is no first minister for England. Where's he to?

England has no political voice to defend it's interests. No Parliament. No national assembly. England has no voice and i afraid "regional assemblies" are nothing more than a fob off with an agenda to eliminate English identity and abolish any nationhood that England retains.
If you are only concerned about embarrassing Alex Salmond (who is im favour of an English Parliament) with the implementation of assemblies you have a very weak argument indeed.

I say abolish the Scottish Parliament and break Scotland into regional assemblies. Set against one another so they can compete for EU and Westminster funding.

Moving on, the BBC have got a lot to answer for with their propaganda campaigns.. Setting the scene for their political agendas in collaboration with the Government.

Scotland, Scotland, Scotland, Scotland this Scotland that, Scotland's future, Scottish independence. We get it!! It's all about Scotland! Now when the hell do i as an Englishman get a say in the future of my country?

you lost me at England wants its own Parliament. There's no political desire for it.

The English democrats have managed only 1 local government seat out of 19,385. It polls about 1%. You're argument seems to be because Scotland has a devolved parliament then England should have one. I've explained that all devolved matters that are dealt with in Scotland are dealt with by Westminster, by elected policians from England, voting on matters that affect England.

I've even explained why there was a desire for devolution. The affects if devolution are identical to regionalisation. It focuses on smaller groupings. And yet still you want an English parliament. You just want one because you think you're loosing out on something which you're not as you have exactly the same.

There's no desire for an English parliament, just as there's no majority desire in Scotland to see the UK break up.
Tigers takes pride in Scotland being an independent country and believes in pride through action not words.

It is the likes of the 'proud', 'patriotic' Scots at 'Better Together', who talk down Scotland at every opportunity and want Scotland to remain dependant on England, you should be asking my original question:

As for REAL pride, look at the Latvians:

http://wingsoverscotland.com/latvian-lessons/

So we're like Latvia now.

To turn around and say that anybody who isn't in agreement with you isn't a proud Scot is no different to Joan McAlpines rant that anybody against the SNP is anti Scottish. Please remember that you hold the minority view pint here. So to accuse the majority of having no pride in themselves speaks more about your myopic opinion.

I see you're back to spamming us now with an SNP backed website pretending to be impartial.

Is there anything in there about the yeSNP lieing to us about their legal advice on Europe, NATO, a second oil boom that won't happen, the Saudi Arabia of renewables that has been found to be flawed or the recent Dumfermline by-election.

if the yeSNP campaign are so proud. Why have they been caught out telling such huge lies?
Original post by L i b
Er, no they're not.

The Indians didn't fight for independence on any scale - indeed, there was a chap called Gandhi whose central point was that violence should never be resorted to. He became quite famous.

"First they ignore you,

then they laugh at you,

then they come to fight you,

and then you win."

(M.K. Gandhi)

Original post by L i b
Or, as you'll likely learn, most of the time if people are laughing at you, you are ridiculous and will never win anything.

It must have escaped your notice that 'Better Together'stopped laughing at us a long time ago.

Every time a 'Better Together' spokesperson opens his / her mouth, you can hear poison coming out, not laughter.

The likes of yourself and MatureStudent36 wouldn't be fighting it out here if you found us to be ridiculous and never likely to win.

No, you are now fighting us as if your British Nationalist underpants are on fire.

As that "chap called Gandhi" said:

"and then you win."

That is why MatureStudent36 is desperately looking for an excuse to bring in the UK army and intelligence services to halt the referendum.
That nonsense yet again?

YOU will have the UK army and the BBC on YOUR side. What are YOU so worried about? Even mice are braver than the likes of YOURSELF.

Can YOU promise that YOU will not do any silly things in the event of a YES vote?

I don't need to. Polling indicates that their has to be a huge swing before I need to be worried and whilst the YeSNP campaign are relying on the likes if you to promote their cause, I can sleep soundly. Inane rumblings don't tend to win people over, nether do claims that they lack pride.
That nonsense yet again?

You come across as unbalanced. Unbalanced people do crazy things when they don't get their way.

Youre not Adam Busby Jnr are you?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3750
you lost me at England wants its own Parliament. There's no political desire for it.

The English democrats have managed only 1 local government seat out of 19,385. It polls about 1%. You're argument seems to be because Scotland has a devolved parliament then England should have one. I've explained that all devolved matters that are dealt with in Scotland are dealt with by Westminster, by elected policians from England, voting on matters that affect England.

I've even explained why there was a desire for devolution. The affects if devolution are identical to regionalisation. It focuses on smaller groupings. And yet still you want an English parliament. You just want one because you think you're loosing out on something which you're not as you have exactly the same.

There's no desire for an English parliament, just as there's no majority desire in Scotland to see the UK break up.

...and i have explained to YOU how Westminster is NOT England's devolved Parliament. It is called the "UK" Parliament. It look's after the UK as a whole not just England. Hence the "UK" bit. Don't believe me? See here... Www.parliament.gov.uk

See the "UK Parliament" bit? Can't see anywhere where it says English Parliament, can you?

I think we are losing out on something. Yes youre quite right i do. I am losing out as a mature student from free tuition fees. I will come out of uni with thousands of thousands of £s of debt over my head. If i were Scottish i wouldn't have a penny of debt.

If i contract cancer i may not get the life saving treatment i need. If i lived in Scotland i would.

I have to pay an ever increasing rate for prescription charges. If i live in Scotland i get it free.

Road tolls are free in Scotland.

Legal aid remains unaffected in Scotland.

Rail fares are subsidised in Scotland.

Need i go on? And you tell me that i am missing out on something.

Then we have the cheek of some political parties such as Labour telling us we're "all British". Are we f**k.

Then there are people like yourself who already benefit from such extravagances at England's expense and seek to deny England of the same national voice as has been given to Scotland.

It is the height of ignorance and insult.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3751
To add, i don't think you have quite grasped why the people of England don't want "regions". All you do is go on about "regions". Regions are dead! They were rejected in 2004! Get over it!

Scotland was granted a Parliament of its own not just because of 'local' issues but because of "Scottish identity" and because it is an "historic nation within it's own right". Well so is England!!!

Regions are NOT devolved power for the people of England. They give no national voice to England. They would have had less powers than the Welsh Assembly. They are a substandard fob and undermine the historic nation of England.

They are also designed to eliminate English identity. Creating false EU regions, set against one another. Divide and conquer is the motto.

If i contract cancer i may not get the life saving treatment i need. If i lived in Scotland i would.

The cancer drugs fund is only available in England. :s-smilie:
Reply 3753
Original post by FinalMH
The cancer drugs fund is only available in England. :s-smilie:

Drugs fund must surely stand out? It is a post code lottery. Only available in certain parts of England.
Reply 3754
[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PbibPOjQf-4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DPbibP OjQf-4[/video]
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3755
Original post by L i b
Good. Handling nuclear waste is a profitable enterprise, is effectively risk-free and many parts of Scotland are geographically ideal for it.

this is why Scotland should be independent.The English will never treat Scotland like England
...and i have explained to YOU how Westminster is NOT England's devolved Parliament. It is called the "UK" Parliament. It look's after the UK as a whole not just England. Hence the "UK" bit. Don't believe me? See here... Www.parliament.gov.uk

See the "UK Parliament" bit? Can't see anywhere where it says English Parliament, can you?

I think we are losing out on something. Yes youre quite right i do. I am losing out as a mature student from free tuition fees. I will come out of uni with thousands of thousands of £s of debt over my head. If i were Scottish i wouldn't have a penny of debt.

I have to pay an ever increasing rate for prescription charges. If i live in Scotland i get it free.

Road tolls are free in Scotland.

Legal aid remains unaffected in Scotland.

Rail fares are subsidised in Scotland.

Need i go on? And you tell me that i am missing out on something.

Then we have the cheek of some political parties such as Labour telling us we're "all British". Are we f**k.

Then there are people like yourself who already benefit from such extravagances at England's expense and seek to deny England of the same national voice as has been given to Scotland.

It is the height of ignorance and insult.

Westminster is the UK parliament but issues such as health and education, which are devolved, when discussed in Westminster are only about England. So when you say that England is not represented, you are incorrect as those are English only matters. Westminster in that case is acting as an English parliament. Setting up a new parliament to deal with theses issues is just an unnecessary expense. You just end up shuffling politicians from one building to another.

You can vote for politicians who give these things a way for free. But remember we've seen cuts in college funding, a massive centralisation of emergency service and under funding in NHS Scotland. So they're not free, they're being paid for from elsewhere. I'm sure I you ask Westminster they'll quite happily cut back spending on the NHS for cheap freebies that only benefit a minority.
Original post by Tigers
this is why Scotland should be independent.The English will never treat Scotland like England

Thank you for demonstrating to me that nationalists seem to be driven by a xenophobic streak.

Every part of the UK gets treated equally
Here is a video from a Scottish entrepreneur giving his reasons as to why he thinks Scotland could afford to be independent.
Taken from the "YesScotland" Youtube page.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8mtO4Cf_cc&list=UUNCYgMsUroKqQ-dGce5StFg
Original post by Choo.choo
Here is a video from a Scottish entrepreneur giving his reasons as to why he thinks Scotland could afford to be independent.
Taken from the "YesScotland" Youtube page.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8mtO4Cf_cc&list=UUNCYgMsUroKqQ-dGce5StFg

Nobodies said we can't, but emotive speak doesn't get away from financial reality. Neither it overcome the issue that the majority of us feel we're better as part of being in the UK. Policing for seperation has remained at 30% for 30 years. It's not going to move.

Latest

Trending

Trending