The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't understand the arguments for independence. If it's an essential partner with what would be the rest of the UK and they want to set up a currency zone then why not keep it as it is now? It's just some power hungry nutter Salmond who'll make no difference and I fail to see how it will make a difference.
Original post by 1tartanarmy
We will have an armed forces, it already been stated that an army, a navy, and an airforce will be created using the bases that currently exist, and the personnel that currently work in them.

Your really amusing me, please keep posting outrageous replies!

You do not have any people working for you in defence at all. The armed forces are UK assets sworn to the Crown. You go independent we pull them out.
Original post by Old_Simon
Oh yes I forgot: We may not recognise your university degrees. The days of all our rahs going to St Andrews may be over.

And we might not recognize yours! The tens of thousands of Englishmen living up here will no doubt be effected by that.

Fortunately, people are not as idiotic as you. University degrees will still be recognized in both countries post independence, in accordance with EU law of course.
You do not have any people working for you in defence at all. The armed forces are UK assets sworn to the Crown. You go independent we pull them out.

And we could then say "Well if we get no assets then we will take no debt"

Fortunately people are not as idiotic as you and its common knowledge that assets and debt will be expected to be shared fairly. Including military.

Additionally, Just because the UK employ people, it does not mean they can stop them from joining another army,navy or air force.

Common sense? Please can someone help me with this guy, he is making TSR look really foolish,
The Bank of England is, and will be our central bank. The same things happens in the Eurozone, although not going well at the moment generally speaking the majority of countries cope well with this arrangement.

You are LEAVING the UK, it is not dissolving, therefore you have no right to the UK's assets.
Reply 5545

One thing fueling independence is your attitude. Scotland is not a region, but a country, and we expect to be treated as such...comparing Scotland to the isle of man is insulting.

I think that's a bit unfair to "regions" of other countries. The fact that in the English language we typically refer to Scotland as a country doesn't mean that it inherently has more rights than places in other parts of the world that we'd normally call regions, states, or provinces. It's just different terminology.

For example Scotland doesn't have more right to independence, or has some kind of higher status than Catalonia or Quebec simply because we call it a country. Entities that are in many ways comparable to Scotland (as it currently is) exist in many places. But by convention we don't typically call them countries like we do Scotland.
Original post by Snagprophet
I don't understand the arguments for independence. If it's an essential partner with what would be the rest of the UK and they want to set up a currency zone then why not keep it as it is now? It's just some power hungry nutter Salmond who'll make no difference and I fail to see how it will make a difference.

We want:

To control our own tax
To not have weapons of mass destruction
To get governments that Scotland votes for (only 16% voted tory)
To scrap the bedroom tax
To stop privatization of the NHS
To try and correct privatization of the royal mail
To ensure free tuition fees is written into a constitution
To fight for our fishing industry in Europe
To keep oil revenue in an oil fund
To choose not to go to war
To Stay in the EU (Camerson has promised a referendum)
To control welfare
To Rid ourselves of the House of Lords
To Rid ourselves of Tory rule forever

Thats a few of many.
Reply 5547

Common sense? Please can someone help me with this guy, he is making TSR look really foolish,

I'm very sorry Jock, but his arguments are entirely relevant and rational. Your tartan army will not come to your rescue, because frankly, if I were a Yes Scot, I would be ashamed to be allied with you.
You discredit yourself, your country, and the cause for independence by going around calling those who disagree with you idiots at every available opportunity.
You've shown a complete lack of knowledge about the processes and arguments of independence, and have clearly been taken in by the propaganda that's floating around 'up there'.
So please, stop with the boorish dismissals, and unless you actually start making valid points, people will continue to think you ridiculous.
Reply 5548
Oh yes I forgot: We may not recognise your university degrees. The days of all our rahs going to St Andrews may be over.

Who's 'we'?

You'd legislate so that rUK companies wouldn't be allowed to count Scottish degrees in job applications? I'd love to see that masterpeice of legislation.

And as you say it'd hit rUK people too.

This is an even stupider argument than 'well we may ban imports of scotch whisky and beef''.

In reality land, that isn't how the negotiation will go.
Original post by EsomR
You are LEAVING the UK, it is not dissolving, therefore you have no right to the UK's assets.

Completely wrong morally.

Our money has helped fund this country, we deserve what we pay for.

The no campaign already agree with this, your on your own.
Well while you rush to diss me consider this. In order for example to study for the Bar or for a Masters degree in the UK you need a "qualifying degree". Scotland might not qualify. St Andrews obviously gives degrees to all and sundry with little discrimination or application.
Completely wrong morally.

Our money has helped fund this country, we deserve what we pay for.

The no campaign already agree with this, your on your own.

I love how for the vast majority of the Union we have been propping up Scotland, now it is going the other way for a bit, and you want to bail...

Anyway how do you think national debt should be split?
We want:

To control our own tax
To scrap the bedroom tax
To control welfare

Thats a few of many.

Well regardless of the outcome of your referendum I would henceforth ban Scots from UK Parliamentary elections. We do not want any more Scottish Prime Ministers.
Original post by tes1996
I'm very sorry Jock, but his arguments are entirely relevant and rational. Your tartan army will not come to your rescue, because frankly, if I were a Yes Scot, I would be ashamed to be allied with you.
You discredit yourself, your country, and the cause for independence by going around calling those who disagree with you idiots at every available opportunity.
You've shown a complete lack of knowledge about the processes and arguments of independence, and have clearly been taken in by the propaganda that's floating around 'up there'.
So please, stop with the boorish dismissals, and unless you actually start making valid points, people will continue to think you ridiculous.

Jock? Is that where we are at now?

Someone who says Scotland will have no army, is going to be attacked by terrorists, will have no allies and that England will "maybe" not ally with us. Someone who then says that "we", when referring to the UK, which I'm currently a part of, will then not recognize scottish qualifications is well, an idiot.

I'm sorry but he is an idiot, in every sense of the word.

I have people very loyal to me, and very patriotic that support a No vote, yet would not class me as "ridiculous"

I also like how you slate me for being personal, but at the same time attempt to do the same to me. Hypocrisy.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

Mahatma Gandhi"

You follow that line of thought perfectly!
And we might not recognize yours! The tens of thousands of Englishmen living up here will no doubt be effected by that.

Fortunately, people are not as idiotic as you. University degrees will still be recognized in both countries post independence, in accordance with EU law of course.

There are more than tens of thousands of us up here. I've got to say my countrymen aren't covering themselves in glory on this thread by equating England with RUK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well regardless of the outcome of your referendum I would henceforth ban Scots from UK Parliamentary elections. We do not want any more Scottish Prime Ministers.

:rolleyes: Not sure if serious? Troll?
We want:

To control our own tax
To scrap the bedroom tax
To control welfare

Thats a few of many.

All these claims are invalid. 'To choose not to go to war' this makes no sense. I don't see a time where we are going to to go war, certainly under a Conservative government.
Original post by Snagprophet
All these claims are invalid. 'To choose not to go to war' this makes no sense. I don't see a time where we are going to to go war, certainly under a Conservative government.

What!?!:eek:

We have just been fighting in Iraq and Afganistan. I have no doubts these kind of wars will only continue.

As for all are "invalid", I'll pick one, only one and ask you to elaborate. How is wanting to control our own taxes "invalid"?

Someone who says Scotland will have no army, is going to be attacked by terrorists, will have no allies and that England will "maybe" not ally with us. Someone who then says that "we", when referring to the UK, which I'm currently a part of, will then not recognize scottish qualifications is well, an idiot.

I have people very loyal to me, and very patriotic that support a No vote, yet would not class me as "ridiculous"

I also like how you slate me for being personal, but at the same time attempt to do the same to me. Hypocrisy.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

Mahatma Gandhi"

Vote how you like Jock. Scots have been a damn nuisance since Mary Queen of Scots. I can't wait to get shot of Scotland.
Reply 5559

Mahatma Gandhi"

You're very much like your glorious King- big in ego, small in substance.
You're all such freedom fighters, its just a shame nobody can martyr Salmond and turn him into McGandhi

Latest

Trending

Trending