Is Scottish independence a 'good or bad' thing? Watch

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?
YES (299)
32.12%
NO (632)
67.88%
This discussion is closed.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iJDB)
LISTEN TO YOURSELF!! If who votes for it? SCOTLAND NEVER VOTED HIM IN! Hence several people wanting to leave the UK. Had it been up to Scotland he'd never have taken much power at all really in the first place, but it isn't up to Scotland, it never is. Let us flee from the rest of the UK and start living in a democracy whereby our votes actually reflect the party in power.
So you'd let the Northern Isles flee an independent Scotland? (with their oil) They never voted Salmond in and don't want an independent Scotland.

Shetland is closer to Oslo than Edinburgh, why should Hollyrood rule over them for the benefit of the central belt?
iJDB
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
So you'd let the Northern Isles flee an independent Scotland? (with their oil) They never voted Salmond in and don't want an independent Scotland.

Shetland is closer to Oslo than Edinburgh, why should Hollyrood rule over them for the benefit of the central belt?
And London is closer to Paris than Edinburgh yet here we are. Scotland don't want the tories yet we are being governed under them. What about the people who do want an independent Scotland and probably wont get it? People never voted Conservatives/LibDems nor against independence so they probably wont have anything benefit them. Who's looking out for those people in this?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iJDB)
Like I said, disliking towards England WILL NOT reflect votes. I came to that conclusion through fact and evidence - http://wingsoverscotland.com/why-lab...need-scotland/
it quite blatantly did destroy our industry how can we blame ourselves when we don't even get to fully control our own country. the union is outdated and no longer necessary. we can continue to trade with England after independence is achieved, like we trade other countries.
What proportion of Scotlands trade is with England?
What proportion of Scotlands trade is with Scotlands largest trading partner outside UK?

Happy to see trade be more on a level with the latter...? :P
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iJDB)
And London is closer to Paris than Edinburgh yet here we are. Scotland don't want the tories yet we are being governed under them. What about the people who do want an independent Scotland and probably wont get it? People never voted Conservatives/LibDems nor against independence so they probably wont have anything benefit them. Who's looking out for those people in this?
Technically not the Tories.

If Scotland has returned a similar proportion of Tory MPs as England then there would have been.

Haha, nobody voted for the coalitions in the Scottish Govt either did they? :P
Jordooooom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Midlander)
Ah yes, the North of England, that ill defined area. People who support it there do so out of spite at Cameron which is pure fickleness from anyone using him as a reason to vote Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Right.. Can't possibly be because they generally have different political beliefs
King Kebab
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Implying that England controls Scotland by saying the other two countries don't. 1+1=2 and all that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Err, I have never done that on this thread, any other thread or any other forum.

A quick look through my involvement in this thread will show you that.
King Kebab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by flugelr)
Is this what our "progressive Scotland" will look like? A nation of bitter xenophobes who blame everything on anyone but themselves?
You know the vast majority of people in Scotland are not like this. I'm surprised you responded to his point tbh as most people would have paid no attention to it.
Midlander
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iJDB)
LISTEN TO YOURSELF!! If who votes for it? SCOTLAND NEVER VOTED HIM IN! Hence several people wanting to leave the UK. Had it been up to Scotland he'd never have taken much power at all really in the first place, but it isn't up to Scotland, it never is. Let us flee from the rest of the UK and start living in a democracy whereby our votes actually reflect the party in power.
Well over half of Scots didn't vote SNP but have them in government. Care to explain that, genius?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by King Kebab)
You know the vast majority of people in Scotland are not like this. I'm surprised you responded to his point tbh as most people would have paid no attention to it.
Disagree, I would say the majority of Scots have made equally stupid comments at one point or another. In fact, I got called an English **** for supporting my ice hockey team in Kirkcaldy a few months ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Err, I have never done that on this thread, any other thread or any other forum.

A quick look through my involvement in this thread will show you that.
'Why would a Yes voter mention Wales or NI when they don't control us?'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jordooooom)
Right.. Can't possibly be because they generally have different political beliefs
Look at the voting patterns in London itself and be prepared to look stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
King Kebab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Disagree, I would say the majority of Scots have made equally stupid comments at one point or another. In fact, I got called an English **** for supporting my ice hockey team in Kirkcaldy a few months ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's quite a big accusation to make which i'm willing to wager has no credibility.
1tartanarmy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
'It's not about England v Scotland'

Posted from TSR Mobile
I completely agree.

Thanks for making it clear though!
King Kebab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
'Why would a Yes voter mention Wales or NI when they don't control us?'

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you'll find that comment was not from me.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iJDB)
great so what if I don't like England? In case you haven't noticed, nobody likes England. If England was better for Scotland economically and politically then hell yeah I'd want to remain part of the union, but they don't. That simple. We've had an effect on a general election three times EVER. We had to endure Thatcherism, destroying our industry. We do not get to control our oil. Our economy suffers. So, as a Scot, I will vote in the best interests of my country - for independence. It's been nice, goodbye .
There you go, bigotry feels good. Scotland wasn't the only area to suffer under Thatcher so save me the violin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's quite a big accusation to make which i'm willing to wager has no credibility.
Why would I make it up? Ice hockey is un segregated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
King Kebab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There you go, bigotry feels good. Scotland wasn't the only area to suffer under Thatcher so save me the violin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please don't tar the majority of Scottish people simply because of a few idiots.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 1tartanarmy)
I completely agree.

Thanks for making it clear though!
Witty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
King Kebab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why would I make it up? Ice hockey is un segregated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who says that I thought you were making this up? I believe you're ice hockey anecdote

What I don't buy into is you're comment "I would say the majority of Scots have made equally stupid comments at one point or another."

I'm willing to bet this is bullocks
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Please don't tar the majority of Scottish people simply because of a few idiots.
Sorry, even though the majority of Scots are not as crude as that poster they express stereotypes and Anglophobia nonetheless. I've lived here long enough to know what is unacceptable to say about one group of people is 'banter' when it's aimed at English folk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (272)
53.97%
18-20 years old (no) (67)
13.29%
20-25 years old (yes) (85)
16.87%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
1.79%
25-30 years old (yes) (26)
5.16%