The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Midlander
Ah yes, the North of England, that ill defined area. People who support it there do so out of spite at Cameron which is pure fickleness from anyone using him as a reason to vote Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right.. Can't possibly be because they generally have different political beliefs
Implying that England controls Scotland by saying the other two countries don't. 1+1=2 and all that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Err, I have never done that on this thread, any other thread or any other forum.

A quick look through my involvement in this thread will show you that.
Original post by flugelr
Is this what our "progressive Scotland" will look like? A nation of bitter xenophobes who blame everything on anyone but themselves?

You know the vast majority of people in Scotland are not like this. I'm surprised you responded to his point tbh as most people would have paid no attention to it.
Original post by iJDB
LISTEN TO YOURSELF!! If who votes for it? SCOTLAND NEVER VOTED HIM IN! Hence several people wanting to leave the UK. Had it been up to Scotland he'd never have taken much power at all really in the first place, but it isn't up to Scotland, it never is. Let us flee from the rest of the UK and start living in a democracy whereby our votes actually reflect the party in power.

Well over half of Scots didn't vote SNP but have them in government. Care to explain that, genius?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by King Kebab
You know the vast majority of people in Scotland are not like this. I'm surprised you responded to his point tbh as most people would have paid no attention to it.

Disagree, I would say the majority of Scots have made equally stupid comments at one point or another. In fact, I got called an English **** for supporting my ice hockey team in Kirkcaldy a few months ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Err, I have never done that on this thread, any other thread or any other forum.

A quick look through my involvement in this thread will show you that.

'Why would a Yes voter mention Wales or NI when they don't control us?'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jordooooom
Right.. Can't possibly be because they generally have different political beliefs

Look at the voting patterns in London itself and be prepared to look stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Disagree, I would say the majority of Scots have made equally stupid comments at one point or another. In fact, I got called an English **** for supporting my ice hockey team in Kirkcaldy a few months ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's quite a big accusation to make which i'm willing to wager has no credibility.
'It's not about England v Scotland'

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely agree.

Thanks for making it clear though!
'Why would a Yes voter mention Wales or NI when they don't control us?'

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you'll find that comment was not from me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by iJDB
great :smile: so what if I don't like England? In case you haven't noticed, nobody likes England. If England was better for Scotland economically and politically then hell yeah I'd want to remain part of the union, but they don't. That simple. We've had an effect on a general election three times EVER. We had to endure Thatcherism, destroying our industry. We do not get to control our oil. Our economy suffers. So, as a Scot, I will vote in the best interests of my country - for independence. It's been nice, goodbye :wink: .

There you go, bigotry feels good. Scotland wasn't the only area to suffer under Thatcher so save me the violin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's quite a big accusation to make which i'm willing to wager has no credibility.

Why would I make it up? Ice hockey is un segregated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There you go, bigotry feels good. Scotland wasn't the only area to suffer under Thatcher so save me the violin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please don't tar the majority of Scottish people simply because of a few idiots.
Original post by 1tartanarmy
I completely agree.

Thanks for making it clear though!

Witty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why would I make it up? Ice hockey is un segregated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who says that I thought you were making this up? I believe you're ice hockey anecdote

What I don't buy into is you're comment "I would say the majority of Scots have made equally stupid comments at one point or another."

I'm willing to bet this is bullocks
Please don't tar the majority of Scottish people simply because of a few idiots.

Sorry, even though the majority of Scots are not as crude as that poster they express stereotypes and Anglophobia nonetheless. I've lived here long enough to know what is unacceptable to say about one group of people is 'banter' when it's aimed at English folk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry, even though the majority of Scots are not as crude as that poster they express stereotypes and Anglophobia nonetheless. I've lived here long enough to know what is unacceptable to say about one group of people is 'banter' when it's aimed at English folk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Er no, the vast majority of Scottish people do not express "Anglophobia" stereotypes. I really want you to provide evidence for this assertion that we do though.

First I've ever heard the word "anglophobia" too
Well over half of Scots didn't vote SNP but have them in government. Care to explain that, genius?

Posted from TSR Mobile

But most Scots voted SNP and so Alex Salmond is first minister. Most scots dod not vote tory yet David Scameron is prime minister.

Using the phrase "majority of scots" isn't smart or funny. Its immature. You know fine well the SNP got the most votes in the scottish elections.
Who says that I thought you were making this up? I believe you're ice hockey anecdote

What I don't buy into is you're comment "I would say the majority of Scots have made equally stupid comments at one point or another."

I'm willing to bet this is bullocks

If it is I would happily crack an egg over my face.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 1tartanarmy
But most Scots voted SNP and so Alex Salmond is first minister. Most scots dod not vote tory yet David Scameron is prime minister.

Using the phrase "majority of scots" isn't smart or funny. Its immature. You know fine well the SNP got the most votes in the scottish elections.

Most Scots, ie over half, did not vote SNP. That is a fact.

Posted from TSR Mobile