The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Boab
I agree - let us rid ourselves of British Nationalism and dismantle the Union!

A silly remark, I fear. Would a rejection of European nationalism lead us to dismantling the EU? No. In my rejection of Scottish nationalism am I calling for the dismantling of the Scottish Parliament? No. I am asking people to remove a terrible ideology from their heads and to work together in an appropriate and outward-looking way.

Original post by Boab
:rolleyes:

Of course... the YES voters are brainwashed and NO voters are rational.

It is an irrational argument.

However to suggest all 'yes' voters somehow want to remain in the EU is simply false - the majority of SNP voters support a referendum on it in the last poll I saw which compared the two, and a solid number want to withdraw.

While that is, I think, a poor choice, it is at least a consistent one. Moreover, it's one that doesn't require ridiculous rhetorical flights of fancy to justify. A bit like your previous suggestion that only people who are born in Scotland are Scots - I think it's entirely, unutterably wrong - but you can rationally and consistently argue it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9961
Original post by L i b
A silly remark

Only as silly as Unionists comparing the SNP to UKIP, and not half as silly as your recent outbursts declaring people racists!
Reply 9962
Original post by L i b
While that is, I think, a poor choice, it is at least a consistent one. Moreover, it's one that doesn't require ridiculous rhetorical flights of fancy to justify. A bit like your previous suggestion that only people who are born in Scotland are Scots - I think it's entirely, unutterably wrong - but you can rationally and consistently argue it.

I hardly suggested it, did I?

I countered another of MS's views that the majority of Scots would vote NO.

How do we define Scots? Fairly tricky, but using a poll which gathered the data of people only born in Scotland is a fairly decent (if not conclusive) way of excluding the views of non-Scots in Scotland. Otherwise they wouldn't have asked the question!

Can you be Scottish without being born in Scotland? Of course.

The majority of those that had made up their mind, support YES.
(edited 9 years ago)
This thread has reached 10000 posts and so we must say goodbye </3 But don't worry, the discussion lives on in a Mk II thread that you can find by clicking here.

Latest