The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cowsforsale
Where does he say it?

He was on BBC television this morning, but the Daily Record also quotes him.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/alex-salmond-nukes-war-banned-1780288

What won’t happen in an independent Scotland will be getting dragged into illegal wars, having Trident nuclear weapons dumped on the Clyde for another 50 years or the bedroom tax.
Reply 1461
Original post by Psyk
I guess I'm mistaken then. I didn't think universities were allowed quotas on EU students. I thought they had to take them on the exact same terms they have for local students.

I was mistaken, a quota does exist, but only for places to medical schools.
Original post by Good bloke
He was on BBC television this morning, but the Daily Record also quotes him.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/alex-salmond-nukes-war-banned-1780288

Just watched Andrew Marr show (~23 mins in), that is what he said. However, I don't think he meant it as an independent Scotland under the SNP literally.

Illegal war (referring to Iraq war I'm gussing), 65% of Scots were against it, yet the decision to go was chosen by Westminster.
On about wmds at the Clyde, 80% of Scots are against Trident.
and bedroom tax, wasn't it like 4 or 5 Scottish mps who voted for it?

So an independent Scotland wouldn't have passed those thing surely [when MPs are meant to be working to the best interest of their constituencies]?
Just watched Andrew Marr show (~23 mins in), that is what he said. However, I don't think he meant it as an independent Scotland under the SNP literally.

Illegal war (referring to Iraq war I'm gussing), 65% of Scots were against it, yet the decision to go was chosen by Westminster.

So an independent Scotland wouldn't have passed those thing surely [when MPs are meant to be working to the best interest of their constituencies]?

thats a rather sweeping statement that an independent Scotland wouldn't have done Iraq. It was massively unpopular everywhere but a rather persuasive scottish prime minister and his scottish chancellor drove it through.

Its good to know that he outlawing war even though its already outlawed by the UN. I like the way he also thinks he can predict the future . Are you telling me that realpolitik will never happen in holyrood?

as we're meant to be modelling ourselves on Norway has anybody told him they were active in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya as well as the Balkans?
(edited 11 years ago)

So an independent Scotland wouldn't have passed those thing surely?

Maybe, maybe not. What he is really saying is that Scottish governments will never make decisions not supported by the majority of Scottish electors, which is quite obviously preposterous without a constitution like Switzerland's which makes major decisions based on referenda. Nobody is proposing that.

He is a hostage to fortune the minute he makes an unpopular decision, which will happen sooner rather than later. Is he going to commission polls for every single decision he makes? I don't think so. What if the poll shows he should go? The polls show that the majority don't favour independence, yet he is pressing ahead with a referendum on it. So he will do things that don't please most people.

As another instance, it isn't unlikely that an ageing population will not take kindly to paying for his ideas on childcare.
Original post by Good bloke
Maybe, maybe not. What he is really saying is that Scottish governments will never make decisions not supported by the majority of Scottish electors, which is quite obviously preposterous without a constitution like Switzerland's which makes major decisions based on referenda. Nobody is proposing that.

He is a hostage to fortune the minute he makes an unpopular decision, which will happen sooner rather than later. Is he going to commission polls for every single decision he makes? I don't think so. What if the poll shows he should go? The polls show that the majority don't favour independence, yet he is pressing ahead with a referendum on it. So he will do things that don't please most people.

As another instance, it isn't unlikely that an ageing population will not take kindly to paying for his ideas on childcare.

Yes. He does seem to think he can promise the world without having to actually explain to anybody how its going to be paid for. Sometimes though politicians have to make decisions that aren't popular.
I'm still waiting fir the poll of 95% of the electorate want a full welfare state but don't want to pay taxes to fund it poll
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Maths Tutor
Ipsos-mori ('Reputable source' ???) poll February 2013:

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/offices/scotland/scottishpublicopinionmonitor/keytrends/votingintention.aspx

Satisfaction with party leaders:

Alex Salmond: 50%

Nicola Sturgeon: 50%

Johann Lamont: 39%

Ruth Davidson: 29%

David Cameron: 27%

Willie Rennie: 22%

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/4717504.stm

tony Blair was hitting 70%. He somehow managed nearly 50% during Iraq.
Original post by a729
You must live in London to pay that much for student accommodation!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nottingham :smile:
Reply 1468
Original post by ionaboner
Nottingham :smile:

How? I'm in Nottingham too!

I only pay around 4600 for 44 weeks Ensuite with my bills all covered and a bus to the uni -with a free gym for good measure!

How are you paying that much?
Original post by a729

I only pay around 4600 for 44 weeks Ensuite with my bills all covered and a bus to the uni -with a free gym for good measure!

Nottingham Trent, Byron Residence (new accommodation) 44 weeks :smile:
Reply 1470
Original post by ionaboner
Nottingham Trent, Byron Residence (new accommodation) 44 weeks :smile:

So what are you getting for that much money?

Do you have your own kitchen?
Tbh you should get a free car and driving lessons for that money lool!
Original post by a729
So what are you getting for that much money?

Do you have your own kitchen?
Tbh you should get a free car and driving lessons for that money lool!

Haha, between 8 of us! You can find Byron on the accommodation part of the NTU site

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1472
If you REALLY believe in the welfare state, you are gravely mistaken in your support for Westminster rule over Scotland.

It is the SNP government in Scotland which is doing its best to protect the welfare state in Scotland.

In the meantime the Tories and their Lib-Dem allies at Westminster are busy destroying the welfare state.

Alas, the SNP has their head quite deliberately in the sand about oncoming demographic changes. In reality, many of the UK Government's proposals on welfare reform are long overdue.

Apart from their record on the NHS and tuition fees in England, they have just brought in the 'bedroom tax' which will penalise those on housing benefit who have an extra bedroom.

Indeed it will. And rightly so. Not only does it create considerably more flexibility in social housing - reducing the number of people in overcrowded homes or even on a waiting list - it also says clearly that we, the public, will not be handing out luxuries to people on benefits that many people who pay their own rent cannot afford.

It is an excellent policy.

Johann 'something for nothing' Lamont has set up a 'Cuts Commission' which will recommend ways of cutting back the welfare state in Scotland.

Bull-****. It's got nothing to do with welfare.

Could you two perhaps pool your 'reputable sources' of information as they couldn't be very reputable since you have drawn completely contradictory conclusions from them.

I'm afraid I'm right on this one. The Thames Tunnel development is being paid for by private money. Not a single penny of public money has been expended on it.

You can hardly cry foul on this one, considering you were peddling utter myths on this subject.

With Westminster rule you get a government by a party that got 1 MP elected from Scotland. And before you start about their Lib-Dem allies, they betrayed the people who voted for them and therefore have no legitimacy. That was proved by their near wipeout in the last Scottish election.

They perhaps betrayed stupid people. Everyone else realised that the Lib Dems could only ever be the junior partner in a coalition government.

I remind you that we're talking about a Coalition that got almost double the number of votes the SNP did in the same election, and more or less the same number of votes that saw Alex Salmond as First Minister in his "historic landslide" of 2011.

You will notice that those of the former are rapidly going down whereas those of the latter are rapidly going up.

Yes. Now only if I get someone else to believe I'm God, I'll have the fastest growing religion in the world. :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1473
Original post by munn
Is that a bad thing? Immediately the universities would have to reduce the fees for British students in line with the Scottish/EU fees of £1820, so the immediate impact to the purse would be around £30m per annum (going by the 4,150 English and Welsh students accepted to Scottish universities in 2012, pro-rated to 16,500 students over a 4 year period, which is actually more than the current number of non-Scot UK students in higher education in Scotland).

UK applications would certainly increase, but places are finite, so either the universities would be forced to grow (positive), or only the best non-Scottish students will be accepted (also positive). We're unlikely to see the number of Scottish students failing to get into university increase more than already, as there is no longer the financial incentive from UK students for universities to accept them.

£30m per annum is not a particularly tough fee on the tax-payer, and if it attracts the brightest minds from the UK to study in Scotland, it will have a positive effect, particularly as many English students who study in Scotland then stay after they graduate.

You've missed rather a lot out of that figure. The Scottish Government says it'd cost £150 million to educate rUK students free. Independent assessments for the Scottish Parliament's Education Committee came out with a figure of up to £263 million.

At the moment, there are 20,000 from the rest of the UK studying in Scotland. Were they to be offered free tuition, there is little doubt this figure would go upwards.

There was a huge number of people opposing the Iraq War in both Scotland and other parts of the UK. I was one of them, oddly enough - although to some degree, my views have mellowed since. Still, we live in a representative democracy - it is for the government to make these decisions and, where they believe they are right, to carry them through. I'd remind you that the Labour government who supported this had their electoral heartlands in Scotland.

The Trident question was ludicrously framed, and I don't think it's remotely representative of Scottish public opinion.

As for the "bedroom tax", presumably 12 MPs would support it, from parties representing well over a third of the vote. But that's not really the point. Again, there are mixed feelings about this all over the UK. Mixed, largely because of lies being put forward by other political parties for their own interests.

There is nowhere this is more pronounced than in Scotland, where oddly enough the Scottish Government could completely eliminate the effect of the housing benefit changes - but choose not to do it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by a729

At St Andrews I pay £5,600 for barely 30 weeks, catered but not en suite. It's total theft.
Only seen this. My answer not intellectual or any good for an essay but although I am Scottish I think Scotland only would be too insular. Also, I don't find it the least bit interesting. Westminster politics are fascinating but I couldn't care less about Holyrood. All I seem to hear on the Scottish news is stuff about fish! I think the mix of different personalities thrown up by UK is good. Scotland alone...boring, boring, boring.
Original post by Midlander
At St Andrews I pay £5,600 for barely 30 weeks, catered but not en suite. It's total theft.

At Edinburgh Uni last year my daughter (me rather) was well over £7,000 for catered en suite.
Bad for England (or the rest of the UK). Worse for Scotland.
Reply 1478
Original post by Midlander

How on earth is that possible?

I generally thought he further you go from London-the cheaper it is!

I'm sure I could get better value down south!
Reply 1479
Original post by Primscot
Only seen this. My answer not intellectual or any good for an essay but although I am Scottish I think Scotland only would be too insular. Also, I don't find it the least bit interesting. Westminster politics are fascinating but I couldn't care less about Holyrood. All I seem to hear on the Scottish news is stuff about fish! I think the mix of different personalities thrown up by UK is good. Scotland alone...boring, boring, boring.

Loool I love your frankness!

I agree Scotland would lose out if it cut it's direct links to London!

Edinburgh is okay but it's no substitute to a world class capital like my beloved London!

Latest

Trending

Trending