Kind of an Odd Situation.In Need of Advice Watch

bare_knuckle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am currently in the second semester of a MSc in Strategic Marketing in a UK-based university.The thing is that I feel that this was not the right choice for me. I had kind of been feeling like that for a while but was adviced to bear with it and finish the programme rather than give up on it, and then think what to do next. I was admitted to the programme and entered it with the knowledge that it was designed for ppl who already have some significant understanding of the concept of Marketing and need to enhance it. I,myself figured that I could get good knowledge from it as I did Business with a Marketing concentration in undergrad. However, I have come to realise how many gaps I have in my knowldege and how the programme was not the perefect fit for me.

Now, in my pondering on what to do next and I am actually considering a second master degree in a Marketing-related programme, something that explores more deeply the area of communications. I am thinking about writing to some schools and describing my situation. Trying that won't hurt me, I guess. I need to ask. I just need to put that hiccup behind me.

I know this whole thing sounds kind of insane but this is the area I want to study in!! I want to work in Advertising some day. And, do not think that a Phd could be a good fit for me. Any feedback will be very much appreciated.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you want to work in marketing or advertising, then get out there and apply for a job in marketing or advertising.

Getting yet another 'piece of paper' isnt going to help you. You will still be (presumably) a fresh graduate with no relevant work experience. Doing endless degrees in the hope it will help you get a job is actually counter-productive as employers often assume you want a bigger salary or arent 'suitable' for graduate entry schemes.
Skeppy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Only jobs in marketing are commision based and believe me wen i tell u,u dont need a degree to get one of them jobs.. infact the dumber u are the better for ur employer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
zziippoo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I absolutely agree with the other guys. For these jobs, advertising and marketing you do not need a relevant degree. If you have 2.1 or if you get your master you can get any job in these field in any firm. Apply for jobs and not for a second master.
samantha67
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, sorry, not too sure this is what you're looking for but my company has a competition running for people interested in a career in marketing.

Perhaps doing the practical marketing stuff will help you see what you loved about it and give you more experience than your booksmart peers?

Let me know if you'd like the details for the competition.
samantha67
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, sorry, not too sure this is what you're looking for but my company has a competition running for people interested in a career in marketing.

Perhaps doing the practical marketing stuff will help you see what you loved about it and give you more experience than your booksmart peers?

Let me know if you'd like the details for the competition.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads