Mega Tour of Asia - what vaccinations do I need? Watch

Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
FWIW I am seeing the nurse on Wednesday and will ask her then. I am certainly going to have Hepatitis A, and Typhoid.

I am most worried about Rabies and Malaria (and Dengue). However my Rabies vaccinations (3 jabs at £55 each!) are too expensive unless I ABSOLUTELY NEED IT.

Which of the following would I need to worry about rabies and malaria?

Dubai 1n
Delhi 3n (got to be some disease here, like the plague)
Beijing 3n
Tokyo 3n
Bali 7n (Rabies is a big risk here, apparently)
Yogyakarta 3n
Jakarta 3n
Yangon 1n (probably malaria for here and Bagan, plus a dirty train for 15hrs there and back)
Bagan 3n
Bangkok 7n
Krabi 3n
Siem Reap 3n (Malaria?) - temples fine, but I want to go further out to other areas
Manila 2n
Boracay 3n (Malaria?)
Brunei 2n (Malaria? - as I plan to go into the jungle for some canopy walking)
Kuala Lumpur 3n
Golden_Boy786
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Probably missing a few hundred dozen more.
Abstract1234
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
FWIW I am seeing the nurse on Wednesday and will ask her then. I am certainly going to have Hepatitis A, and Typhoid.

I am most worried about Rabies and Malaria (and Dengue). However my Rabies vaccinations (3 jabs at £55 each!) are too expensive unless I ABSOLUTELY NEED IT.

Which of the following would I need to worry about rabies and malaria?
My grandfather once got bit by a dog and had to have 40 injections in the stomach, i think i'd just take the 3 jabs .
Dragonista
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you're spending all that money and travelling all that way have the jabs. You also need to worry about Hepatitis A, Typhoid, Yellow Fever... I could go on. Your life is not worth risking for the sake of a few hundred quid. http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/home.aspx
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Dragonista)
If you're spending all that money and travelling all that way have the jabs. You also need to worry about Hepatitis A, Typhoid, Yellow Fever... I could go on. Your life is not worth risking for the sake of a few hundred quid. http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/home.aspx
Yellow Fever only for South America and Africa.
Dragonista
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
Yellow Fever only for South America and Africa.
You're right, I've lived in both South America and Asia and I must have got confused. I meant Japanese encephalitis.
standreams
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I wouldn't bother with rabies vaccinations- they are only really recommended if you are going to be working with animals, living abroad for a long time, or will be in extremely remote areas where, should you get bitten, getting to a hospital for the rabies shot will take a long time (this doesn't apply to any of the places you've listed). I have lived in Asia in very close proximity to animals (adopted several strays), in a country where access to healthcare was extremely limited (does not apply to any of the countries on your list) and didn't bother with the vaccine. Neither did anyone else I knew. That was perhaps risky. However, for you as a tourist, getting a vaccine would be excessive- unless you perhaps plan to spend a considerable time volunteering with animals.

If you do get bitten by an animal while in any of those countries, make your way to the nearest clinic/hospital for the post-bite course of treatment after having sluiced the bite/scratch with alcohol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (144)
60.25%
No I haven't decided yet (54)
22.59%
Yes but I might change my mind (41)
17.15%

Watched Threads