Sliced finger - what to do? Watch

theonelink
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
About an hour ago I was making a model (architecture student)... I was cutting card using a lot of pressure and the ruler slipped, hence the scalpel has literally sliced my fingertip off lol. It has been gushing blood since... my fingertip is thumping like a heartbeat. For the past 40 mins or so i have had some wet tissue pressed down on the flap of skin, soon as I take pressure off it starts gushing again. I have work in the morning and want to sleep asap, are there any ways to stop the bleeding other than my applying pressure with wet tissue method?
CJKay
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Dude... go to the hospital.
My Dad lopped the top end of his finger off and it got infected - eventually had to have it amputated so let that be a lesson to you lol.
theonelink
Rep:
?
I think I'm dying
SillyEddy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Keep pressure on the wound and raise your finger above the level at which your heart is (hold it above your head if you have to). This will help blood to move away from the cut area. Firmly hold tissue or make a tight bandage around the area - You can do this with tissue and some sellotape if you have to. When it starts to dry, apply plasters to keep the wound closed.

Wet tissue is no good - Wetness will just cause the blood to thin and flow more easily. You need dry dressings to stop the blood and cause it to coagulate on the wound.

As it has been 40 minutes, if you can't get any benefit from this, ring 111 (non-emergency medical support) to see what they suggest. If it continues, consider ringing 999.
tamimi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
a. Stop the blood flow by tying something tight around the finger like a band or a shoelace (With the help of someone else). And hold it high up. Over your chest at least so that you're not pumping blood out through it.
b. Keep it clean.
c. Go to the hospital. If you can't make it, call the non emergency line. Tell them what you told us. They'll be able to work out whether or not you should call 999. But tbf if I were you I'd just skip it and call 999. Better to be safe.
theonelink
Rep:
?
(Original post by tamimi)
a. Stop the blood flow by tying something tight around the finger like a band or a shoelace (With the help of someone else). And hold it high up. Over your chest at least so that you're not pumping blood out through it.
b. Keep it clean.
c. Go to the hospital. If you can't make it, call the non emergency line. Tell them what you told us. They'll be able to work out whether or not you should call 999. But tbf if I were you I'd just skip it and call 999. Better to be safe.

(Original post by SillyEddy)
Keep pressure on the wound and raise your finger above the level at which your heart is (hold it above your head if you have to). This will help blood to move away from the cut area. Firmly hold tissue or make a tight bandage around the area - You can do this with tissue and some sellotape if you have to. When it starts to dry, apply plasters to keep the wound closed.

Wet tissue is no good - Wetness will just cause the blood to thin and flow more easily. You need dry dressings to stop the blood and cause it to coagulate on the wound.

As it has been 40 minutes, if you can't get any benefit from this, ring 111 (non-emergency medical support) to see what they suggest. If it continues, consider ringing 999.
It's cool it's stopped bleeding now... just wrapped some dry toilet roll and tape around it in case it starts to bleed overnight.
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you have "literally sliced [your] fingertip off" please go to A&E..

Pointing out the obvious but gushing blood for 40 minutes isn't good..
JD95
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How was going to the hospital not your first thought, seriously? even ringing an ambulance? why did you feel that asking on here was of greater priority than both of these?

Same for any cut - especially bad ones. You keep pressuring the wound.

Don't leave it overnight either for Christ's sake.
theonelink
Rep:
?
(Original post by JD95)
How was going to the hospital not your first thought, seriously? even ringing an ambulance? why did you feel that asking on here was of greater priority than both of these?

Same for any cut - especially bad ones. You keep pressuring the wound.

Don't leave it overnight either for Christ's sake.
Ambulance lol? It's not a life and death situation I left it overnight and it's fine
danny111
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by theonelink)
About an hour ago I was making a model (architecture student)... I was cutting card using a lot of pressure and the ruler slipped, hence the scalpel has literally sliced my fingertip off lol. It has been gushing blood since... my fingertip is thumping like a heartbeat. For the past 40 mins or so i have had some wet tissue pressed down on the flap of skin, soon as I take pressure off it starts gushing again. I have work in the morning and want to sleep asap, are there any ways to stop the bleeding other than my applying pressure with wet tissue method?
Infection sucks man and it's one of the most unknown things out there. I'd go to the hospital.
JD95
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ambulance lol? It's not a life and death situation I left it overnight and it's fine

Neither is quite a few things they look after but they'll still come.. I'd still say it's an emergency.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Really don't understand why you didn't go to the hospital.
Monstar111
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think I'm dying
I couldn't resist but laugh when I read this XD
Well I hope the finger is okay and thanks for the laugh!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (135)
62.79%
No I haven't decided yet (46)
21.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
15.81%

Watched Threads