Urgent help- best A2 chemistry resource/book? Watch

username1027456
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So, unit 4 of chemistry is over and I think I got a C. I want to make up for it by getting A or A* in unit 5. The problem I had with unit 4 was not having access to a suitable book. I do execel, so I got the George facer 2nd book, which I hate. Why, you ask? Because it is very vague in its explanations and descriptions, sure some sections I get everything but others it just makes it very hard to grasp simple principles. I know some other students just whizz through it all but it's just not for me (I tried even for unit 5). So I ended up revising from the CGP book (got me grade A and B in AS), it helped describe the major principles clearly but the problem now is that many minor principles are missing and it is also outdated (wrong mechanisms etc). I'm willing to spend a lot of time on learning but I need a good resource... so yeah. What do -you- current (or past) chemistry students use?
popnit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hitashami)
So, unit 4 of chemistry is over and I think I got a C. I want to make up for it by getting A or A* in unit 5. The problem I had with unit 4 was not having access to a suitable book. I do execel, so I got the George facer 2nd book, which I hate. Why, you ask? Because it is very vague in its explanations and descriptions, sure some sections I get everything but others it just makes it very hard to grasp simple principles. I know some other students just whizz through it all but it's just not for me (I tried even for unit 5). So I ended up revising from the CGP book (got me grade A and B in AS), it helped describe the major principles clearly but the problem now is that many minor principles are missing and it is also outdated (wrong mechanisms etc). I'm willing to spend a lot of time on learning but I need a good resource... so yeah. What do -you- current (or past) chemistry students use?
I use a mixture of the CGP revision guide and Chemguide.com. Sometimes I use the AQA chem textbook but rarely because I find it beating round the bush and not to the point like CGP.

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but getting an A* in unit 5 is very difficult because there's a lot of content. This definitely applies if you're with AQA.

Best of luck!
username1027456
Rep:
?
(Original post by popnit)
I use a mixture of the CGP revision guide and Chemguide.com. Sometimes I use the AQA chem textbook but rarely because I find it beating round the bush and not to the point like CGP.

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but getting an A* in unit 5 is very difficult because there's a lot of content. This definitely applies if you're with AQA.

Best of luck!
Thanks, I know right A2 chemistry is probably the hardest year in a levels along with A2 maths and a2 physics. But if you arelearnt everything the syllabus requires along with knowing how to answer questions on all those aspects then the like hood of getting a A* is very high, would you not agree?
popnit
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks, I know right A2 chemistry is probably the hardest year in a levels along with A2 maths and a2 physics. But if you arelearnt everything the syllabus requires along with knowing how to answer questions on all those aspects then the like hood of getting a A* is very high, would you not agree?
Yeah that's what you have to aim to do but if you get something like last June's paper everything just goes to waste :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1027456
Rep:
?
Yeah that's what you have to aim to do but if you get something like last June's paper everything just goes to waste :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the advice, I understand. Sometimes the difficulty of the paper is the difference in getting an A and a C, as I learnt from biology.
popnit
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks for the advice, I understand. Sometimes the difficulty of the paper is the difference in getting an A and a C, as I learnt from biology.
No problem. Yes exactly..it's gutting isn't it?! Have you finished your exams now?
username1027456
Rep:
?
No problem. Yes exactly..it's gutting isn't it?! Have you finished your exams now?
Yup. Done and dusted. In biology I'm pretty sure I got an A or A* but like I said for chemistry (for which I think not enough time is given) I think I'll get a C. Although a re sit could be an option. Besides that I do BTEC science, which is the easiest thing in the world ( it's one day a week) but you get plenty of points. Anyways, how about you are you done yet?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads