SNOWFORT
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi - can anyone give me advice as to what you should wear if you are called in for an interview for your Uni place?

Do guys have to wear suits or is more casual atttire the norm?

Much appreciated
Tackla
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You don't gave to wear suits, casual clothing is fine. Just make sure it's not too casual though, like ripped jeans, those kind of fashion things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
moritzplatz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
for my ox one i had jeans and a polo.

mathematicians do not care about fashion.
Damask-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think it depends where it is; at Imperial everyone was wearing a suit, whereas at Bath hardly anyone was. I'd go for smart-casual if I were you.
stuart_aitken
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Honestly wear whatever the blody hell you like. Most university people are intellects. Fashion won't be on their agenda at all when they interview you. A kid in a suit just looks hilarious and unnecessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Doesn't really matter. Just wear whatever you feel most comfortable in.
Casual and confident is far better than wearing a £1000 suit and being really nervous.

A friend of mine went to all his interviews in jeans and a yellow hoodie and he got offers from all his unis. (Bath, Surrey, Oxford, Nottingham and Loughborough)
Caitlin_dj
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was pretty casual at mine and got an offer but I've heard for vocational/professional courses like medicine, law etc people tend to be more dressed up. But it's most important to wear what you feel comfortable in Good luck!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
manu01
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For uni interviews I wear a full suit and all the other guys I have seen do the same.
(I am a medic)
It could be different depending on your subject. Ask other people doing the same subject.
Theflyingbarney
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wore jeans and a jumper to my Cambridge law interview and here I am today. So don't feel obliged to wear a suit! As others have said, as long as you're reasonably smart it doesn't really make a difference. In fact if you wear a suit and aren't really comfortable in it it'll show in your interview.
CRIKEY12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My advice is to be comfortable in what you wear, but try not to make a "fashion statement". You want the interviewer to concentrate on you not on the eclectic clothes you are wearing. If you are a woman, maybe think about a modest outfit. If you are a man similar. I don't think a tie is necessary unless you always wear one and would be uncomfortable without. Dress for the weather.
At one Uni we were route marched around the campus on a tour so, no high shoes unless you want to ruin your heels in the "natural parkland" area.
Clean your shoes. Make sure your hands are clean.
Relax. The interview is a 2 way street and you need to glean as much info about the department as they wish to know about you. You both need to be content.
GOOD LUCK
bellatrixb
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd say something reasonably smart, but not necessarily a suit- for all of mine, I wore black smartish trousers (usually wear them for school), and a top with a cardigan
ian.slater
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SNOWFORT)
Hi - can anyone give me advice as to what you should wear if you are called in for an interview for your Uni place?

Do guys have to wear suits or is more casual atttire the norm?

Much appreciated
Ideally you do not want your interviewers to notice what you are wearing. Don't wear scruffy old clothes and don't wear a suit and tie. A typical school sixth-form dress code would be fine.
epicnerd
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I had trousers with a shirt and v-neck jumper. Black pointy suit shoes and just make sure you don't smell of b/o. Nobody likes smelly people. The people in full suits just looked around awkwardly knowing they had gone over the top. This was for physics by the way and i did get my offer.
Pandabär
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can anyone link me to a thread on medical interview attire? Pretty please?

I'm sure there must be one... :confused:
Med_me
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm having a similar problem, would a cardigan, blouse, brogues and a black skirt be suitable to wear for a medical interview?
Pandabär
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Med_me)
I'm having a similar problem, would a cardigan, blouse, brogues and a black skirt be suitable to wear for a medical interview?
Oh good, another cardigan fan.

I feel like all girls will be wearing a smart black/grey skirt suit with jacket...but I'd feel so much more comfortable in a cardigan.
BoboG
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi
I have just been to an interview for healthcare science and let me tell you sometimes its like playing the lottery on who will be wearing what at the interview and am i wearing the right clothes.

I was wearing a suit and so was one other out of 12 people. Few had smart casual and a few with smart jeans and hoodies, all were looking at each other thinking am i wearing the right clothes look. The interviewers one had trousers , shirt and tie and the other two were smartly dressed i'm sure you are getting the picture. I am definetly going smart dressed and not suit on my next interview as let me tell you never hardly wore a suit in my life and i was not confortable but still manage to keep my cool for the interviers.

My personal advice is what ever you wear make sure you are confortable in and relaxed enought to do your interview as its you they are interested in and not your clothes.

Medicine i think from personal friends and family who have gone for interviews have all gone in suits be it girl or boy.

I hope this helps
SilverstarDJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Pandabär)
Can anyone link me to a thread on medical interview attire? Pretty please?

I'm sure there must be one... :confused:
(Original post by Med_me)

Just wear anything smart. It doesn't really matter what you wear so long as it looks professional. So you could choose to wear a full suit (most guy medics I've seen do this, plus plenty of girls too) or a smart (work) dress or even a nice blouse and some trousers or a skirt with some tights would do. That would be what I've seen most people wear for medicine. If you wish to wear anything else, like a cardigan, I'm sure that's fine and you certainly wouldn't be the first or last to do this, so long as your overall look is professional. Neutral colours is probably what most people would wear.

As for non-medical/professional courses, smart casual is probably the best way to go.
stuart_aitken
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Student-95)

A friend of mine went to all his interviews in jeans and a yellow hoodie and he got offers from all his unis. (Bath, Surrey, Oxford, Nottingham and Loughborough)
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

I've already replied to this topic :lol: but I want to say again. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOU WEAR. If you love suits and it's in your character to be seen in one, then by all means wear a suit, you'll appear quite natural! Otherwise.... why? Why wear something you don't normally wear?! :confused:
Howlaround
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Was looking for something like this. Very helpful to know that, think i'll go for smart casual then
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (113)
17.82%
It's just nice to be back! (172)
27.13%
Not great so far... (227)
35.8%
I want to drop out! (122)
19.24%

Watched Threads