jojo1995
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
what are the aims of revenue and sales maximization?

I think they both aim to increase market share but im not sure why a firm would chose one over the other, help pls ?
rasclerhys
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sales maximisation aims to increase market share.
Revenue maximisation may occur to increase cash-flow or to allow for further investment.

There are many reasons why a firm would choose to do one over another, in a contestable market firms may sales maximise in order to prevent hit and run tactics or reduce the threat of new entry. In certain situations revenue maximisation may incur a loss whereas sales maximisation may not.
Sales maximisation results in the maximum amount of output being sold, this may mean the company becomes well known and may improve the brand (this may result in the demand curve becoming more inelastic). Also the CEO may become more well-known if he works at a company which is sales maximisation. This may drive CEOs to sales maximise as the more well-known they are the more likely they will be offered a better/higher paid job.
Shareholders of the firm may tell the firm to revenue/sales maximise.

Hope this helps,

Rhys
www.learneconomicsonline.com
jojo1995
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by rasclerhys)
Sales maximisation aims to increase market share.
Revenue maximisation may occur to increase cash-flow or to allow for further investment.

There are many reasons why a firm would choose to do one over another, in a contestable market firms may sales maximise in order to prevent hit and run tactics or reduce the threat of new entry. In certain situations revenue maximisation may incur a loss whereas sales maximisation may not.
Sales maximisation results in the maximum amount of output being sold, this may mean the company becomes well known and may improve the brand (this may result in the demand curve becoming more inelastic). Also the CEO may become more well-known if he works at a company which is sales maximisation. This may drive CEOs to sales maximise as the more well-known they are the more likely they will be offered a better/higher paid job.
Shareholders of the firm may tell the firm to revenue/sales maximise.

Hope this helps,

Rhys
www.learneconomicsonline.com
thank you so much Rhys, this is absolutely brilliant
A Cat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Pretty much every aim of the standard business - tesco, ikea, spar, starbucks whatever - is to make and increase profit. How it is done I guess is what you'll be revising.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (110)
67.07%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20.12%
Yes but I might change my mind (21)
12.8%

Watched Threads